• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Zenith II + Ryzen 3970x boot issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

Hello there,

I've been banging my head against the desk for the last few days.
Been building a new PC:

Zenith II TRx4 Motherboard
3970x
4x16GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600Mhz Trident Z Neo
ROG 1080ti
Corsair HX1000i for PSU
1TB Samsung 970PRO m.2

After setting the DDR to 3600 in the BIOS i started having issues with reboots when i start the pc.
I set everything back to default but i still get reboots. The number of them is random, and after the PC starts it's working fine.

Here is a video https://mega.nz/#!s95XCQib!QNI8aZBfEyvNjoxDtB_bM8pgddzpZTPLDzxHAa_GVuE

I changed the:

PSU - Same issue
DDR - Saie Issue
Updated the BIOS of course

I`ll rebuild the system tomorrow and check all the connectors again.. since i`ll install other fan's.
Anything else i can think of is some voltage issues that need to be set in the BIOS

Thank you:thup:

Okay.. did more testing.. updated BIOS again, and now the reboot's are gone. Also set Performance mode to disabled from Auto

We are seeing some of this same problem with others on the forum lately. Sometimes updating the bios fixes it or adjusting secondary memory timings it seems. Either way, it seems like a DRAM timing issue.

Well... your issue I'd point more towards the capacity at that speed as compared to others. While it's certainly possible to run 64gb at those speeds, it sometimes needs some tweaking.

When you say you set it to 3600... what does that mean exactly? Did you use xmp, or just set it to 3600 with everything else on auto? Update your signature too...nice rig!

I'd set optimized defaults, save and reboot. Enable xmp, save and reboot...

If that doesn't work, you'll likely have to add some SOC voltage to it.

It likely is the RAM but rebooting after setting defaults doesn't seem right. Clear the CMOS, that board should have a button for that on the back. Then do as E_D said boot an set XMP. That board should also have a qCode readout, the code it displays just before reboot should help narrow down the culprit

It's working now... It was the setting called: performance mode which i set to turbo and after setting it to disabled the reboots are gone.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

So performance mode was disabled and the issue went away.
I get that.
But do you know the explanation of why the reboots happened in the first place?
Did the performance overvolt the processor and that caused that issue?

Well, i have no idea what caused the issue, and honestly i`m not sure how i could measure the the voltages if the machine keeps rebooting..
I`m thinking of looking for a ryzen overclocking guide and see if i can get it to manually overclock..

If you have any suggestions, let me know :)

Back