• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At my wits end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacklist

Hey guys, me again. More news updates with the computer that keeps disappointing again and again. It crashed randomly this afternoon , about the 5th time, i dont know why. When I restarted t, i had 3 icons on my desktop- recycle bin, my computer, and one other one. Nothing on my task bar. I cant make desktop shortcuts, or pin stuff to the taskbar. I cant access my own god damn pictures. it says i dont have permission. I am the only user on this computer and i have my profile set as an admin. Im at my wits end with this **** and i dont have $300 to take it to someone and tell them to fix it. Please, HELP.

Try logging into "safe mode".
Reboot the pc then right before the Windows logo appears constantly press the f8 key. Then select "Safe Mode".

Try logging in and let us know if that get's you in. If it does run chkdsk /r in the command prompt. If it asks to run it at startup type in y then hit enter. Reboot and let it run.

This has happened twice to me, and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
It sounds like you are being logged in with a "Temporary roaming profile" a kind of "back" user profile when Windows can't find / read your actual user profile.

Hope this is of some use, let us know what happens!
Silver_Pharaoh

Blacklist what Anti-virus are you running?

When was your last definition update/full system scan?

Norton 360, downloaded yesterday. I've only been on sites to update drivers. I just got internet up yesterday. So all the sites were secure id think

I don't like Norton at all, it's too resourse heavy with some machines.

If you can, download anf run a full scan with malwarebytes anti-malware grab the free version then update it and run scan.

That should help confirm if there is some nasty virus / malware on your rig.

Silver_Pharaoh

Hey guys, me again. More news updates with the computer that keeps disappointing again and again. It crashed randomly this afternoon , about the 5th time, i dont know why. When I restarted t, i had 3 icons on my desktop- recycle bin, my computer, and one other one. Nothing on my task bar. I cant make desktop shortcuts, or pin stuff to the taskbar. I cant access my own god damn pictures. it says i dont have permission. I am the only user on this computer and i have my profile set as an admin. Im at my wits end with this **** and i dont have $300 to take it to someone and tell them to fix it. Please, HELP.

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

Did you run a scan using the Norton product? Did it detect any threats? Can you please run a scan using the free Norton Power Eraser tool and see if it detects any threat: http://www.Norton.com/npe?

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

True Norton is resource heavy, but I've found it to be the most effective and user friendly. Followed closely by McAfee.

If you're certain you don't have a virus then I would try silver_pharoah's suggestion. You may have inadvertantly created a guest account with very limited access.

Try logging into "safe mode".
Reboot the pc then right before the Windows logo appears constantly press the f8 key. Then select "Safe Mode".

Try logging in and let us know if that get's you in. If it does run chkdsk /r in the command prompt. If it asks to run it at startup type in y then hit enter. Reboot and let it run.

This has happened twice to me, and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
It sounds like you are being logged in with a "Temporary roaming profile" a kind of "back" user profile when Windows can't find / read your actual user profile.

Hope this is of some use, let us know what happens!
Silver_Pharaoh

I did not run any scans. I did nothing with it. Just downloaded it so I could go online safely

Thank you!

I recommend that you run a scan using the Norton product or using the Norton Power Eraser tool and see whether it detects any threat. Please let me know the result of the scan.

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

If you're certain you don't have a virus then I would try silver_pharoah's suggestion. You may have inadvertantly created a guest account with very limited access.

That's what I was thinking, it doesn't really sound like malicious software or something, it sounds more like Windows having a hissy fit over something.

Were you able to run chkdsk yet? My money is on that built in tool--I think it'll find something that it can fix. If not, then I'd suspect a failing hard drive or something.

Silver_Pharaoh

This sounds like some sort of virus or malware infection to me.

I've seen them do things similar to this before.

Definitely install and run malwarebytes. I'd install and run Microsoft Security Essentials too.

If neither of them finds any virus or malware infections you may be looking at faulty hardware or some problem with the Windows OS installation.

Well not to tell you you're wrong, but I've only been online for about 4 hours before I got Norton. Also, the same things happened once before. Before I was online.

Blacklist have you tried to repair Windows recently? I'm wondering if you have two versions installed. I've made this mistake and it can be a pain to correct.

Well not to tell you you're wrong, but I've only been online for about 4 hours before I got Norton. Also, the same things happened once before. Before I was online.

I too went online for driver without anti-virus once...
Big mistake! I got 3 malware programs just from finding drivers...

Did you run malwarebytes yet?

Silver_Pharaoh

Back