• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At my wits end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What version number of the video driver are you using?

I take it this is the PC listed in your signature.

Perform clean boot to rule out the possibility of any third party program conflict.

To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista,Windows 7. follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Running scan through Norton and bytes, full system. Dont loose any sleep over this. I'm gonna end up taking it to a guy and probly have him install windows 8 on it and basically start me off with a clean slate. I'll be getting a new motherboard so that's the main reason for going to him. He cuts me a good deal. My ssd is 50% full with OS bs and I want that space for games. I don't think its just a cut and paste sort of thing. Plus whatever that **** about administrator is. I realize you have told me about these things but I really can't wrap my head around it. Last time I took it to him he put it together from scratch and charged me $80 so its the easiest way out.

Last edited:
I too went online for driver without anti-virus once...
Big mistake! I got 3 malware programs just from finding drivers...

Did you run malwarebytes yet?

Silver_Pharaoh

I did an experiment once and used windows 7 for 120+ days without any virus protection. Everything was fine. You just have to be mindful of what sites you go to.

Last edited:
I did an experiment one and used windows 7 for 120+ days without any virus protection. Everything was fine. You just have to be mindful of what sites you go to.

That depends. Lots of attack vectors these days, and legitimate websites do get exploited too sometimes. Usually safe browsing would keep you safe, but not always. There's also bugs that are network aware and other machines on your network could infect an unprotected machine.

Norton.com is an official Symantec site, so this is legit.

I clicked on the link for kicks (call me reckless) and it turns out that its gathering data for a survey first from where you got the link and then loading the actual www.norton.com/npe . So it seems like the support people are a part of a marketing / data mining project for norton. Kind of a shady way to get data IMO.

The link expanded to: (you will have to hover over the link below to see it entirely)

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=113...ers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738410&page=2

EDIT: Upon further investigation, it appears that its this forum's redirection, not Nortons.

Last edited:
Hrmm... Do you have the blue screen code?
If so, there are a few webpages that list all the possible blue screen code.

We could look it up to give us some hint as to the possible cause.

Silver_Pharaoh

EDIT: Whoops! didn't see the 2nd page my bad.

Let us know if he was able to sort things out for you!
As long as he doesn't charge you an arm and a leg! :rofl:

As long as your happy and your rig works again.

Though I'd say Windows 8 is tough to use, I can't wrap my head around it. Without that start menu, I'm lost. (I'm used to Windows 98)

Silver_Pharaoh

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if it was hard to learn. My buddy runs it and likes it but the only reason he installed it is because his 7 got a virus that didn't allow him to update. Is it harder to find drivers for some stuff for 8?

Windows 8 is not hard to learn at all, its just a somewhat different concept. 8.1 will bring back the start menu apparently.

My main gripe with it, is the lack of multi-tasking that you seem to get with the metro style desktop. Seems backwards to me.

Bytes found 53 things, one of which was major. I cleared them all. Is it safe to run now or still in danger of blue screening? Providing that it was the virus/malware that was causing it.

After malware run norton as certain malware can prevent norton from working. Then give it a go.

Bytes found 53 things, one of which was major. I cleared them all. Is it safe to run now or still in danger of blue screening? Providing that it was the virus/malware that was causing it.

Only one real way to find out!
Yes, run Norton just to be safe.

Oh and one more thing... Are you able to access all your picture and files while in safe mode? Or are you still denied access?

Silver_Pharaoh

ive looked it up and its really no help. they said it could be drivers for every single part of the pc, or could just just be some hardware. Someone said to remove all hardware save the processor and see what happens. I'm not doing that. seems bogus to give an error code if it doesn't tell you where the problem is!

Blue screen 7e is what report said

STOP 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Look familiar?

hrmm... Can you run memtest 86 for us? I'd like to make sure your memory isn't gone bad. I doubt it but better safe than sorry right?

Memtest 86 just pick the cd one and burn it or grab the usb image on and follow the instructions inside the zip archive.

Silver_Pharaoh

I Will download it on thursday. Btw anyone heard of or run the Crosshair V Formula? That's what I'm considering getting.

CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
http://www.asus.com/us/ROG_ROG/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/

There is now a Z in the name of the board. Yes it is a good board. Might be a little overkill if one is not using sub-zero cooling but certainly a good board for FX-8350 with g00d water cooling to push the processor some. I have the earlier non-Z board and enjoy its ability to push my own FX-8350 with very g00d water cooling.

Back