• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT&T to impliment Bandwidth caps..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

http://gizmodo.com/5075831/att-monthly-bandwidth-caps-are-here

AT&T is doing a trial run of bandwidth caps.

Depending on tier of service, you will be capped at 20GB a month, and 150GB a month. Existing customers though will get the 150GB cap.

They also said that they will not be terminating customers accounts for going over the cap. But instead, they will be charging $1 for every Gigabyte downloaded past the cap.

while less than the 250GB cap comcast is implementing, 150Gigs per month is still quite high. As a member mentioned before, and that i also agree that there isn't some kind of bandwidth crisis that's bogging down the internet, as the ISP's would like us to think. With caps of 250gigs, and 150 gigs, those numbers alone show that neither comcast or AT&T are short on bandwidth.

Personally, I feel as this is most about money. They want to get as much money from customers as possible. And the best way is to charge them if they use too much bandwidth. Ontop of that, If they can curb the bandwidth usage of their members, then they will have less incentive to upgrade their network, and put off upgrades for a longer period of time. So instead of planning on upgrading their networks in 5 years, they could get away with waiting 7 years ( just an example. ) Which would let them build up more money before doing any upgrades, and collecting a profit for a longer period of time before having to invest large sums of money into their networks.

I honestly don't think ISP's really care about piracy. If anything, piracy has increased the number of people who have upgraded their internet package, which gives the ISP's more money.

Again, I think it's a plea to postpone upgrades. While both companies are no where near *NEEDING* to upgrade their network ( hence the large caps ), By teaching customers to curb their usage now, it will be easier to set more strict caps later in the future, and postpone future upgrades.

But then again, this is all just my opinion. I could be 100% wrong here. Any one else have thoughts on this this capping trend that appears to be taking hold by ISP's?

Good thing I'm an existing customer.

20GB a month is an insult. I use more than that in monthly PSN demo downloads.

I probably average about 100GB a month with all the video that I upload, the PSN downloads, PC software and game updates, and movies that I actually watch (which is download.)

If this isn't illegal though... then it really should be.

It's almost like a test run to go back to the glorious days of charging you by the minute for Internet access.

...that could be coming soon unless somebody steps in and STOPS THEM.

Free-market my ***...

Well... I sort of went off about this on another thread...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=578140

I almost went off again, but I suppose this is more efficient.

Yeah. I read your post when the other thread was alive.

But since that thread is kinda old now, and since this another company doing this, i figured it deserved its own thread.

I just hope Time Warner Cable doesn't try to implement this crap. Since that is who I'm currently using.

I'm gonna be ****ty if this happens. I download around 300 gb a month, so I'm going to be a little upset if I suddenly get charged a ton more for that. Damn companies always trying to suck as much as they can out of their customers. >.<

I download lots of PS3, XBOX 360 and PC demos, that's a lot of space. Other than that I don't download much more, 150GB would be fine, 20GB would be ridiculous, luckily I'm Comcast, so far no mention of caps here...

I download lots of PS3, XBOX 360 and PC demos, that's a lot of space. Other than that I don't download much more, 150GB would be fine, 20GB would be ridiculous, luckily I'm Comcast, so far no mention of caps here...

Comcast implemented a 250GB cap October 1st for all customers.

This also doesn't belong in GD. I don't know how many more warnings have to be made in order for everyone to realize that nothing related to computers goes in this section.

Moved to GCRD.

Yep Seanbest, if you read the link I posted there was exhaustive discussion on the comcast limits. (Caution, long rants inside.) ;)

I agree with Rainless assessment... Competition is great, but all we see in the business is collusion. The services all charge the same amount, and once one of them implements download/upload limits, speed limitations, all the others clamour to follow suit.

I was truly excited when they dropped a fiber optic network in my neighborhood, Yay! finally some competition to comcast. The cost was within 5 dollars a month of comcast. Totally different type of network, different hardware, different company, same exact price. Competition? Gimme a break.:rolleyes:

If you read all the news on this... the "trial run" is supposedly only happening in ArizonaNevada, so if you're not in ArizonaNevada, you might still be safe for a little while longer :)

Last edited:
I started the other thread and this is a HUGE difference. I have Comcast and the limit is 250GB... But 20GB?? WOW! That is hardly anything just for one month.

I'm not sure what I have reached as far as my most ever in one month but I think I could easily hit 20GB. That sucks if this is true.

So much for my previous comments in other threads saying ATT seemed to be one of the few not pulling crap... time to move to Verizon, I guess :p

^^^
I wish I had the option here. If AT&T moves this nationwide I may have no real option than to move to Comcast. While they're saying existing customers will receive a 150GB cap, 6mbit customers are supposed to be capped at 80GB from a few sites I've looked at.

I'm opposed to caps in general, but 150GB is pushing it and 80GB, if that occurs, is ridiculous for a 6mbit connection. So yeah, I'd pursue my only other option in that case. At any rate I'd certainly stop paying as much as I am for their "fast" speed tier if I couldn't use it.

Assuming decimal counts...
8GB = 8,000,000,000 bytes.
80GB = 80,000,000,000 bytes.
80GB = 640,000,000,000 bits.
6Mb/s = 6,000,000 bits per second.

It would take 106,666 seconds to transfer 80GB at 6Mb/s. That is 1,777 minutes, or a little over 29.5 hours. So basically, they're charging you a monthly rate, but then sticking a cap on that means you can use up your monthly quota in less than 1.25 days? That is complete and utter BS. Do the people that come up with these cap numbers bother to actually check how long it would take to reach the cap at the advertised speed?

And these caps will only be reduced.

We are not in Australia. We are not limited by a few pipes running thousands of miles under a freaking ocean. There is no excuse for this.

FiOS FTW!!!

20/10 dedicated fiber with no caps! and that was their second to lowest speed too. they don't offer it anymore. but the downside is, their tv sucks... channels are all scrambled around, and the guide is slow as all hell and extremely clunky.

fios.jpg

Last edited:
If any of you have Wide Open West (WOW) in your area, there are no caps. I asked in this morning's meeting and there are no plans for it either. :)

Back