• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 3000G - let's all get one for an OC challenge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

AMD Fall Desktop Announcement Briefing Deck-page-012.jpg

Never mind the new threadrippers, we have this baby! Maybe it is just me, but I think it is cheap enough for many to buy assuming they can drop it into an existing AM4 system, and we can have an OC comp around it on an equal-CPU footing. Anyone interested?

I wish I had the time...but this is a great idea and good to see again!

EDIT: I wonder if these can overclock well compared to its mangy core bigger brothers...........

Last edited:
It is Zen+ not Zen 2 so set expectations accordingly.

Thanks for answering my question before I asked it. Still may end up talking myself into another HTPC built around it though, grab one with the cheapest mATX case and board I can find...

Didn't the Zen+ (2700x) OC better than the Zen (1800x)??
4.4GHz VS 4.1GHz with a AIO cooler and the Zen 2 (3700x) does 4.xGHz??

In my limited samples, Zen (1600, 1700) topped out at 4.0 with AIO and unhealthy voltage. Zen+ (2600) topped out around 4.25 with air. This is bench stable, wouldn't use either 24/7 like this.

It's generally great idea with the competition. However, lower chips had locked multi and I guess this one has it too. This competition can be a matter of luck for +/- 1MHz bclk or benching at the same max clock.

AMD explicitly said this is unlocked and overclockable. See graphic in 1st post. There will still be an element of silicon lottery but that's unavoidable.

I have no idea how I missed that. Looks like I will get one "for fun" anyway.

It is Zen+ not Zen 2 so set expectations accordingly.

Even Zen+ is now in doubt. Anandtech and CPU-Z thinks it is Zen+ (Picaso), TPU and wikichip thinks it is Zen (Raven Ridge).

Regardless, this could still be fun for a "I don't care if I kill it" OC attempt.

Even Zen+ is now in doubt. Anandtech and CPU-Z thinks it is Zen+ (Picaso), TPU and wikichip thinks it is Zen (Raven Ridge).

Regardless, this could still be fun for a "I don't care if I kill it" OC attempt.
CPUz reads it from the chip. TPU and wikichips manually enter the data...FWIW.

But I'm pretty sure these are picasso based chips. Their APUs always seem to be a generation behind.

Last edited:
Anyone find any in stock from a reputable seller? Only seeing 3rd party sellers on Amazon/Newegg, and MC is showing in-store only with the Yonkers location being OOS.

Anyone find any in stock from a reputable seller? Only seeing 3rd party sellers on Amazon/Newegg, and MC is showing in-store only with the Yonkers location being OOS.

There's nothing wrong with Antonline thru Newegg. ;)

Okay, pulled the trigger on one on ebay. $58.99

Got a cheap ASRock B450M board to pair it with so probably not a good overclocking combo. It will go in a customer build anyway.

I also picked up a used R3 1200 to update the bios. Been intending to do that for a while anyway. It'll probably come in handy for that at various times. I'm wanting to switch my future customer builds over to to the AMD platform and the advent of 3000G has now made that economically feasible. I'm guessing it will perform similar to the Pentium G5400 but with a little better graphics.

Last edited:
But I'm pretty sure these are picasso based chips. Their APUs always seem to be a generation behind.

Every stinking time! Do you have any idea why this is the case, ED? It's as if AMD won't let anybody outside of the CPU team see the design until it's released, THEN the APU designers can start their work. Ideally it would happen semi-concurrently, as it does with Intel, but I don't believe AMD has ever displayed this in the history of their integrated GPU/CPU designs.

It's frustrating when spec'ing out an inexpensive system for a customer. Going AMD always means you're a generation behind on CPU.

It's because AMD is diverting their resources to develop their high end offerings as much as possible. They want to be the leading edge in the performance sector. So the APUs don't get much attention until those priorities are satisfied. But the fact is, the current core APUs are more than adequate for most people.

Every stinking time! Do you have any idea why this is the case, ED? It's as if AMD won't let anybody outside of the CPU team see the design until it's released, THEN the APU designers can start their work. Ideally it would happen semi-concurrently, as it does with Intel, but I don't believe AMD has ever displayed this in the history of their integrated GPU/CPU designs.

It's frustrating when spec'ing out an inexpensive system for a customer. Going AMD always means you're a generation behind on CPU.
Not sure why.

the 4000 series for mobile is now out though... several months behind the desktop.

Back