• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 - The Pre-Phenom days.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, well excuse the hell out of me man. I didn't really have a setup to run and bench that thing anyway, it was just sitting around and collecting dust...and I needed the money.

Would it make you feel any better if you believed the person who bought it was another AMD enthusiast who acquired it for the specific intent of running it into the ground? :p
That's more like it :D

LOL, oh my sweet buttery Jesus...Intel freaks don't have sh*t on you people. I'm a hardcore AMD fan myself, but you all are extreme. Forgive me and don't fault me for my lack of die hard enthusiasm shortcomings :p

You all crack me up. :cheers:

LOL, oh my sweet buttery Jesus...Intel freaks don't have sh*t on you people. I'm a hardcore AMD fan myself, but you all are extreme. Forgive me and don't fault me for my lack of die hard enthusiasm shortcomings :p

You all crack me up. :cheers:

HAHA! We'll make up those short comings for you bud. No worries.

Here's an interesting chip not too many people really know much about. Athlon X2 5000 unlocker.

Little History - This one turns into FX-5000. This chip was basically Phenom I Agena 45nm. Phenom was going to be code-named FX, but the name was scrapped when TLB was discovered. It was the first branded 45nm x2 released in 09'. Later the X2 line up was called Kuma which also unlocked (some of them) to tri or quad core Phenom processors, but did not carry the code name FX. Unlike the Kuma 7 series X2 processors, the X2 5000 lacked the L3 cache.... Until it was unlocked.

So here's a couple screen shots. The first will be Cinebench R15 while an X2. Notice the L3 cache is missing. The second screen shot will be unlocked with L3 cache present. Pretty cool chip. Clocked horribly though.

image_id_1218769.png

1192869.png

Hehe at one point a few years ago I purchased about 90% of all the 939 chips ever made specifically for the purposes of benching them on dry ice. Mostly on CPU frequency, but also a few other CPU benches. It was an impressive collection of around 50 CPUs. sadly I ran out of personal time to complete my mission and sold the lot off to another extreme enthusiast who I am sure tortured the hell out of them on my behalf.

Here is another decent chip I have. I'm pretty sure it has more in it, I just need a better FSB Ocing board.
ath240e.PNG
cine240e.PNG

It appears to be about normal for those chips.
Your CPUz in the first shot tells me that your HT link frequency stonewalled your overall MHz. Drop that HT multi and try it again.

It appears to be about normal for those chips.
Your CPUz in the first shot tells me that your HT link frequency stonewalled your overall MHz. Drop that HT multi and try it again.
Thanks Scotty, will do one I get a chance to run that chip again. I may try it on the 790Fx board this time.

No Phenom or FX and new chips.

What no fx? No mighty 939 fx cpu's?

Fun. I loved the old 939 chips!

939 in opinion (k6 aside) Is the only amd architectures worth anything when it's not new tech.
I had a lot of fun with 939 setups in the past. Mostly blown caps and dead mobo/cpu's haha. Still, 939 is my third favorite socket.
775 being my favorite followed by super 7.

Then FX CPUs aren't cheap anymore, well a lot cheaper than they were but not cheap enough for the shett I put them through

Ahhh, the FX... even you amd fans hated those things.. expensive and could barely overclock better than its locked siblings.

AHH Scotty breaks out the FX-55! I had a few of them and didn't really bench and submit like I should have. I had pretty good luck with them though.

Here's Wprime liquid cooled. Scott you may beat this score and submit to take me down a peg lol. (I'll get another one someday to recover that loss ;) )

De-lidded (like always) and a cooling secret of mine a few people may know about.

Can any one guess what the round plate on the bottom of this water block is?

image_id_547515.png

image_id_547514.jpg

Here's the undisputed king of the 939 socket Opty 165's.
Remember these?
Everyone and his brother was clocking them up since they were the budget chips in the lineup - I NEVER would have thought one day I'd have the top-dog chip of them all but hey, I do. :D

1341824.jpg

1366436.jpg

1342360.jpg

Its a k8n neo2 platinum mobo, so to do it authentic old school I was gonna run a few small Western Digital blue's in raid but it keeps hanging when trying to install windows 7 and I got xp install but it goes straight to blue screen.

Its a k8n neo2 platinum mobo, so to do it authentic old school I was gonna run a few small Western Digital blue's in raid but it keeps hanging when trying to install windows 7 and I got xp install but it goes straight to blue screen.
You need the SATA raid drivers at F6 on install.

Back