• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading old athlon 64 x2 to phenom x4 9600B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

910beefcake

Like the title says I'm in the process of upgrading my old 2009ish model gaming rig to be able to play bf4. I'm currently running a AMD 5600+ athlon x2 processor on a MSI K9N2 sli platinum mobo, for graphics I'm using a geforce gtx 650 2gb. I also plan on upgrading my 32-bit windows vista to 64-bit windows 7. I know that mobo supports the cpu I purchased (phenom x4 9600b) I'm just wondering if it is as simple plugging in the new processor and booting it back up? If any additional info is needed let me know. The system has a 600w power supply and 4gb of DDR2 1033Mhz ram.

You may or may not have to do this but sometimes changing a CPU or the RAM will require clearing the CMOS, that little jumpered set of three pins (usually its three but can be two) located (usually) near the motherboard battery. Just make sure you remove power from the motherboard (even unplug the machine from the wall) before moving the jumper and remember to move the jumper back to default position after about 30 seconds. Only after you restore the jumper to it's original position should you power back up.

Are you sure your bios version supports that quad core? Check that before you remove the old CPU in case you need to update the bios. You can check the current bios version with a free little program called CPU-z. Install it and look at the info under the Motherboard tab of the program interface.

The only wire ports on my mobo is one that leads to the power button or in that general direction on the inside of the case and I believe the other one is for system fan 4. The plug that has wires leading to the power button I believe has 8 pins on it but looks like it has two different wire harnesses connected to it.

Also, I have located the bios version for that cpu on the MSI website, should I download and run that prior to installing the phenom cpu?

Also I was wondering if the current heatsink I'm using on the athlon x2 will work on the phenom x4?

Look up in your manual How To Clear CMOS and do so after flashng to the bios you say gives support for the cpu you intend to install and by ALL means flash bios before swapping to the newer cpu.
RGone...

The only wire ports on my mobo is one that leads to the power button or in that general direction on the inside of the case and I believe the other one is for system fan 4. The plug that has wires leading to the power button I believe has 8 pins on it but looks like it has two different wire harnesses connected to it.

Also, I have located the bios version for that cpu on the MSI website, should I download and run that prior to installing the phenom cpu?

Also I was wondering if the current heatsink I'm using on the athlon x2 will work on the phenom x4?

No, I'm not talking about the front panel connectors or the fan headers. The CMOS clear pins are usually near the round flat battery and two of them will be connected by a plastic, metal-lined jumper. On some boards this set of pins is not near the battery. Look in your manual.

Ok the bios file for the phenom x4 is a .zip file, Do I open/run this before installing the Phenom? I do have a laptop available incase I have to put files on a flash drive and boot from USB.

Also, I know how to get to the CMOS menu when I press delete when my pc is booting up, but I'm not so sure how to clear it. I didn't get a manual for the mobo when I purchased the pc...

Honestly 910...

If you are not sure what to do with a zip file as relates to a bios flash and you say that you know where the CMOS menu is in bios when you boot up; I expect it might be well for you to go to the web site for you motherboard manufacturer and download the manual for the motherboard you have and read the manual.

Like far too many people asking for help from thousands of miles away, you start asking a question and posting about something but never bother to tell those who might help you...what it is you really are working with. We should have known the model and version of motherboard; from the first post you made.

Ok the bios file for the phenom x4 is a .zip file, Do I open/run this before installing the Phenom? I do have a laptop available incase I have to put files on a flash drive and boot from USB.

Also, I know how to get to the CMOS menu when I press delete when my pc is booting up, but I'm not so sure how to clear it. I didn't get a manual for the mobo when I purchased the pc...

Look up the manual online. It probably can be found on the motherboard manufacturer's website. They are usually a PDF file. Open the computer case and look for the motherboard model number printed on the board. Often it is along side one of the PCI-e slots but it may be elsewhere. If this is a mass-produced computer like a Dell or an HP go to their website. I

I take it you are not an experienced computer builder.

Actuallly, 910beefcake, you can also clear the CMOS by simply removing the flat round battery on the motherboard for a few minutes and then replacing it.

Look up the manual online. It probably can be found on the motherboard manufacturer's website. They are usually a PDF file. Open the computer case and look for the motherboard model number printed on the board. Often it is along side one of the PCI-e slots but it may be elsewhere. If this is a mass-produced computer like a Dell or an HP go to their website. I

I take it you are not an experienced computer builder.

I'm not an experienced builder but this is my 3rd custom gaming PC I've owned..I figured since my motherboard supported the phenom..it would be as simple as installing the new Cpu

Also, I figured by me saying K9n2 Zilent sli platinum in my first post was enough info, Only other numbers I can find for the mobo are MS-7374 and one that says N1996.

And the only BIOS updates I can find are for the mobo, not the cpu. I'm figuring flashing to the latest BIOS version for the mobo should cover any CPU that is supported.
----------->http://www.overclock.net/t/619354/bios-update-ms-7374-v1-2-k9n2-sli-plat <---this basically summed up what I needed to know without all the hoopla.

Last edited:
Yes, the motherboard bios is what we ate talking about checking on . There is no bios just for the CPU.

You can check the bios version in Windows with a free program called "CPU-z". Look in the "Motherboard" tab and it will give you that info.

Back