• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Athlon II X2 260 & HD 7850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

I know the CPU @ 3.2Ghz would be quite a significant bottleneck for a 7850 but would overclocking it to 3.6 be a huge difference? I know my brothers mostly plays source games, far cry 3. I want to take back my HD4650 to put it in a budget pentium D gaming rig for my sisters and I don't want him to waste is cash in a GPU that'll get bottlenecked by his CPU.

I know the CPU @ 3.2Ghz would be quite a significant bottleneck for a 7850 but would overclocking it to 3.6 be a huge difference? I know my brothers mostly plays source games, far cry 3. I want to take back my HD4650 to put it in a budget pentium D gaming rig for my sisters and I don't want him to waste is cash in a GPU that'll get bottlenecked by his CPU.

You'll probably get surprising performance on dual-threaded, GPU-dependent games like Metro 2033, whereas quad core threaded games like Battlefield Bad Company will be lacking.

If you'd like I can drop my 1045T off to 2 cores and run frequencies that give roughly the performance you'd get from the 260 and I can let you know how it goes, I'm playing Far Cry 3 a lot at the moment anyway so a couple of 10 minute fraps min/max/avg benchmarks wouldn't be a problem.

I still play source games on my E8400 and E6750 and I don't think any of those games are particularly CPU demanding so I don't think they'd be an issue.

I used to game on a phenom 9750 & HD 5770 without issues with most games so unless the game uses more than two cores the athlon II blows my phenom. And actually, he's playing metro 2033 but can't get past the part with those little slimes because the 4650 just can't keep up.

I used to game on a phenom 9750 & HD 5770 without issues with most games so unless the game uses more than two cores the athlon II blows my phenom. And actually, he's playing metro 2033 but can't get past the part with those little slimes because the 4650 just can't keep up.

yeah, the 4650 is directx 10 and the newer gpus finally have been able to handle the game made in 2010, which is still the heavyweight champion in some respects.

I checked on newegg (canada):
7770 Ghz is 139$
650 Ti is 149$
and the 7850 1GB is 164$
Is the 2GB version of the 7850 worth it?

I decided to just do the benchmarks anyway(would rather play FC3 than sleep....)
These results are using a 7.5 minute run/drive from night until dawn.

FPS(Cores/Clock/Min/Max/Avg.)
2 Cores/3.2GHz/14/48/29.752
2 Cores/3.6GHz/6/64/31.043 (low minimum FPS from clipping a bridge)
3 Cores/3.2GHz/18/55/36.655
6 Cores/3.6Ghz/24/63/46.049

Dusk until dawn in FC3 is when I get the worst FPS and driving always represents a CPU bottleneck for me. The 2 dual core clocks on my processor score the same in Cinebench as yours would which is close enough in performance for me. 3.6GHz with 2 cores was a bit smoother but while both 2 core benchmarks were playable, they might not be so enjoyable especially because the time between frames varied greatly meaning it wasn't a smooth 30FPS, there were noticeable times when the next frame wasn't there on time. I tossed the other 2 in to give you an idea of how the game responds to more cores. The only time my 7850 w/stock clocks had spikes of 100% utilization was with 6 cores and even then it spent a lot of time bottlenecked by the CPU (driving/around the starting town). It was all done with maximum graphics settings(less real AA) at 1680x1050.

I checked on newegg (canada):
7770 Ghz is 139$
650 Ti is 149$
and the 7850 1GB is 164$
Is the 2GB version of the 7850 worth it?

Considering your system, no. A 7770 sounds better. At 1680x1050, the memory won't reach 1GB soon, but there are games that use more than 1GB at higher resolutions and more will definitely in the future. You might want to consider buying a used 6850 on Amazon- I found them for around $110- about the same performance as a 7770.

I told my bro he should upgrade to a phenom II X4 eventually. Oh and he is playing at 1440x900. Getting my hand on a used 6850 won't be easy where I live.

Just looked on amazon, their canadian website doesn't offer good prices AT ALL and the US website doesn't ship to Canada...

Just looked on amazon, their canadian website doesn't offer good prices AT ALL and the US website doesn't ship to Canada...

Well sorry to hear. I think the 2GB 7850 is a great choice if you plan to use it for a long time (2+ years). The US Newegg prices were about $185 for the least expensive ones, before rebates.

Though if you don't mind waiting, the 8800 series will be released in a few months and the prices for the 7850 will likely decrease a little more.

They should be released early 2013, so that's not too far. I'll just leave my 4650 in his PC for now. The pentium D with the x300 should be able to handle source games just fine for now.

I finally went with a 7850 and it runs anything like a champ. Metro 2033 was AMAZING maxed out!

I finally went with a 7850 and it runs anything like a champ. Metro 2033 was AMAZING maxed out!

Nice! I'm almost finished with the game> Everytime I return to the surface the bleak skies and low gas masks makes me want to quit and not finish, but little by little I complete more parts- some parts are challenging, like those mutant pterodactyls that pick me up out of nowhere and end my game.

Back