• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP Mobile, should I look for any in particular???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, 939 w/ NF4 would be best but a 754 would be a much better solution than a XP system. Dual Channel DDR does not give you a big increase. Hardly noticable. So the performance wise between the 939 and 754 is basically zero.

The only thing gain in dual DDR is latency because you are buying smaller RAM for same amount of memory. Expample; for 1 GB of memory, you use 4X256 vs 2X512 on single channel or you can do 4X512 vs 2X1024. You get the point.

Here are a couple good reviews on dual DDR vs single DDR. Basically No noticeable differences.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/via-kt880_9.html

and

http://www.gen-x-pc.com/review_amd3800.htm

In 2nd review, you see that the dual channel does absolutely nothing. The 3400+ Clawhammer (single channel) is the same as the FX-51 with dual channel. Clawhammer even beats the FX-51 in a few things. Cost wise, Clawhammer is $200 cheaper and can overclock much better than the FX-51. The Sledgehammer Core does not seem to overclock very well.

If you are going 754, I would recommend a few mobo. The DFI NF3-250 UT, MSI Neo Plat, and there is a Epox 754 with the new NF4 chipset that is coming out (if you can wait). If you are concerning about the HT2000 and SATA2, then go with the NF4 Expox.

A buddy of mine have the VNF3-250 Chaintech. This mobo is not very costly (less than $80) and good mobo for overclocking but you'll need to get a Chipset cooler for the NF3 chipset if you plan on going high on FSB. The Chaintech has a thin metal for cooler. OK if you are under 240FSB but will need to replace if you want higher FSB. My buddy burnt out his first mobo because he did not have a NB cooler. Now he has the Thermalright NB-1C cooler on and works great. If you are on a tight buget and want good performance for your $$, this is a much better choice over the XP-Mobile setup.

As for 754 CPU, the Newcastle and Clawhammer are both very good OC'ers. But unlike the XP-Mobile chips the upper multi is lock so I would advise getting a chip with at lease a 10X multi. It'll be easier to hit higher speed with a higher multi.

Between Clawhammer and Newcastle, the Clawhammer has 1MB L2 (basically a FX models). This will give you an extra 200 to 300 MHz boost in performance depending on your setting. But if you are on a budget get the newcastle 3000 (with 10X multi) but even the 2800 is a better choice over the mobile. It comes with a decent stock heat sink although you may want to replace the fan with a nice 80mm fan. Clawhammer would be best choice.

Basically,

the Chaintech ~ $75 + A64 3200 Clawhammer ~ $148 = $223

vs.

XP-m 2600 ~ $91 + AN7 ~ $65 = $156

Everything thing else cost the same. So.. about $67 different. Performance wise, 2.6 GHz on XP and 2.6 GHz on A64 Clawhammer with 1MB L2, a big difference.

If $67 difference is too much and you must go Newcastle 2800. Cost difference is $0.00 because the 2800 comes with heatsink.

Back