• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X800 Pro vs. nVidia geForce FX 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

Okay, there are a lot of questions and reviews about how the X800XT PE performs against the 6800 Ultra, but let's face it, most of us will be buying either an X800 Pro or 6800GT. So my question is, without starting an ATi vs. nVidia war, what do you guys think of the two cards.

I know for me this will be one of the tougher decisions in my current upgrade plans.

Last edited:
Enigma422 said:
Okay, there are a lot of questions and reviews about how the X800XT PE performs against the 6800 Ultra, but let's face it, most of us will be buying either an X800 Pro or 6800GT. So my question is, without starting an ATi vs. nVidia war, what do you guys think of the two cards.

I know for me this will be one of the tougher decisions in my current upgrade plans.

as it stands the pro is beating or matching the Ultra in real world gaming....

so the pro wins.

CircuitBreaker8 said:
Any links to prove that?

here's the latest....LOOK.

you might also want to see what real people are doing with the cards in question.
look in this forum as well as a few others.

btw, this is what I'm doing with farcry benchemall demo:

1280x1024, all in game settings maxed to hell....
stock: 62.66
OCed: 65.32........@ 510/530-not my max OC on this card.

the above tests were done with no restarts after a long game of SC:pT.

cat4.5's were used for this test...cat4.6 will give you about 8% performance increase in this test.
infact, cat4.6 gives you about 5%-15% increase in all your games.

mica

CircuitBreaker8 said:
Um...looking at average FPS, the 6800GT does better than the x800

I'm quite sure you didn't have your first cup of coffee yet so here is the list of cards tested:

Video Cards:

NVIDIA GeForce 6800Ultra – Operating at default clock speeds 400MHz/1.1GHz using ForceWare 61.34 (WHQL Candidate).

ATI Radeon X800XT-PE – Operating at default clock speeds 520MHz/1.12GHz using Catalyst 4.6 (WHQL).

ATI Radeon X800Pro – Operating at default clock speeds 475MHz/900MHz using Catalyst 4.6 (WHQL).

mica

Mica as I was trolling through review sites this morning I noticed this.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2096&p=1 It may be about the Nv45 but when looking at Farcry at except at 1280x1024 with 4xAA 8xAF. It appears that the 6800 ultra performs as well or better than the x800 XT. I would also say 53.8 fps is very playable.

So since the GT is just an underclocked ultra with slower memory I would say with the Ultra bios flash it is my last big purchase before school starts.
(ps they did include the drivers they used. 61.45 for Nvdia and 4.6 for ATI.)

speed bump said:
Mica as I was trolling through review sites this morning I noticed this.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2096&p=1 It may be about the Nv45 but when looking at Farcry at except at 1280x1024 with 4xAA 8xAF. It appears that the 6800 ultra performs as well or better than the x800 XT. I would also say 53.8 fps is very playable.

So since the GT is just an underclocked ultra with slower memory I would say with the Ultra bios flash it is my last big purchase before school starts.
(ps they did include the drivers they used. 61.45 for Nvdia and 4.6 for ATI.)

both drivers tested were beta, even the cat4.6....what retards, the WHQL cat4.6's have been out for quite some time.
hell, the WHQL cat4.7's are almost out...give or take a few more days.

so, you would say that 53.8fps is very playable, right?
well, it seems that they used the benchemall test to get that number...IMHO.

that's an outside test.
now go inside, and your framerate gets cut to around 40fps.
now turn on your flashlight, it gets cut in half....20fps-25fps
cryvision give you a little better then the flashlight...24fps-30fps

sorry, but at the 1600x1200 and 4xAA/8xAF...your AVG's look poor to me...
your going to dip into the low to mid "teens" at times.

btw, at the same res and settings that your talking about ("I would also say 53.8 fps is very playable.")....the x800xt beats the 6800u in the anandtech review.

at least thats what I'm seeing....
and in real world tests the x800pro beats out the 6800u in farcry (even apples vs apples)....LOOK.

mica

micamica1217 said:
at least thats what I'm seeing....
and in real world tests the x800pro beats out the 6800u in farcry (even apples vs apples)....LOOK.

mica
Is there a reason why you only posted the one ATI won and not the 5 on the same page that NVidia won?

NVidia/ATI : Bench
26.9 / 26.3 : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4ODEwMzE5ME9waVhxWmxmUU1fNV8xX2wuZ2lm
29.6 / 29.1 : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4ODEwMzE5ME9waVhxWmxmUU1fNV8yX2wuZ2lm

28.2 / 26.9 : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4ODEwMzE5ME9waVhxWmxmUU1fNV80X2wuZ2lm
29.4 / 28.8 : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4ODEwMzE5ME9waVhxWmxmUU1fNV81X2wuZ2lm
29.9 / 29.1 : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4ODEwMzE5ME9waVhxWmxmUU1fNV82X2wuZ2lm

HardOCP continues to put the smack down on lame "canned bench" reviews. Gotta love it when someone actualy plays a game to get frame rates :)

Uhhh did you actually read what you linked to? What exactly are you saying the 6800 won? Last place? :confused:

Pake said:

Dragonprince said:
Uhhh did you actually read what you linked to? What exactly are you saying the 6800 won? Last place? :confused:
He's comparing the x800pro and the 6800ultra and in only 1 test did the x800pro have the most avg FPS.

Pake said:
He's comparing the x800pro and the 6800ultra and in only 1 test did the x800pro have the most avg FPS.

and in basicly each and every test the min and max fps on the ATI x800pro won over the 6800u.....with many of the AVG's being so close to a true tie.

(you listed the numers below)
...NV/ATI
26.9 / 26.3 :
29.6 / 29.1 :
28.2 / 26.9 :
29.4 / 28.8 :
29.9 / 29.1 :

if anything, my original reply has not been an intentional mis direction....
I used the fastest stock CPU system, because "WE" OCers will have computers that will be far faster then what is used for the new cards.

btw, it looks like the x800pro's are just like the 9700pro's in that with a faster system (or OC) they still have room to grow (get faster).
(some people still can't belive that when I went from a [email protected] to a [email protected], I got 1000 more marks from 3dmark03....yes that's 3dmark03)
things are starting to look the same for the x800pro...yet we are starting to see slower growth with the 6800u....maybe.

mica

Last edited:
Personally i still prefer Nvidia (not to start a flame war) while the X800pro is still nothing to scoff at i would definately go with the GT.

Pake said:
i don't understand your stand on this :confused: its plain and simple, the 6800U should be able to OWN the x800pro, but it doesn't. it costs a 100$ more. and you still side with it because it beats the PRO in SOME tests by a FEW average fps? you must remember that these cards were never meant to compete.

liquidtrance123 said:
Personally i still prefer Nvidia (not to start a flame war) while the X800pro is still nothing to scoff at i would definately go with the GT.
i agree, i probably will end up with the GT as well, mainly for NV's opengl performance....CS:CZ :) the GT might be slower, it might be faster, but either way it won't be to a noticable degree.

Last edited:
bobmanfoo said:
i don't understand your stand on this :confused: its plain and simple, the 6800U should be able to OWN the x800pro, but it doesn't. it costs a 100$ more. and you still side with it because it beats the PRO in SOME tests by a FEW average fps? you must remember that these cards were never meant to compete.

if you look closer you'll find that the tests he listed showed less the 1fps better in the 6800u...some as low as a half a frame diff.
if that's not as close to a tie as you can get...I don't know what is.

I agree with you bobmanfoo...it looks like he just getting "nit picky".

mica

Pake said:

The average is only equal in importance to the minimum, and some feel the minimum is even more important. When the action gets heavy the minimum will be what your faced with, not the average. I hardly think the average is a compelling arguement for the Ultra when its trying beat a cheaper card.

I just dont understand why anyone would say the Ultra or the slower GT is a better buy than the Pro, let alone the XT, which is out in front and looks to stay there for a while. I undestand completely the idea of OCign the GT for performance on the cheap, but we dont even know if it will OC well without the extra power connector. But why would anyone buy the Ultra :confused: No flaming please, I just really do not understand this brand loyalty issue. I would buy the nVidia card in a second if it was the better card but it does not look to be...I though the folks at an OCer's site would be all over the fastest product regardless of who makes it, but that does not seem to be the case here....color me confused :confused:

Back