• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X800 Pro vs. nVidia geForce FX 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought so :D

Now that I think about it, I don't even need it yet. All I play (for the most part) is CS, and I get 100fps all the time on that. The main reason I was going to upgrade was Doom 3 and HL2/CS:S (or to some people, "CS2"). Since those won't be out for a while, I'll wait, and get the video card when they DO come out, hopefully then the prices on everything will drop. And that ALSO gives me more time to get more money, so I'll end up getting the 6800GT. (I have nothing against ATi, but I just prefer NVIDIA)

between the 9800xt 256mb and the 6800nu 128mb, I will probably go with the 6800. It's GPU is much more powerful. However, I will probably shell out $100 more to get the 256mb version of the 6800nu. Reason is because future games will be utilizing the full 256 vid memory. Since you are already putting so much money for a vid card, you probably want your vid card to be more "future proof". I heard both doom 3 and HL2 will be fulling using the 256 vid memory.

Yea, rumor has it that some companies will have a 256M gamer edition of the 6800NU which would improve it alot. How much closer to the price of the GT it becomes has yet to be seen unless you have already seen them somewhere.

Zippykid9 said:
thats a good link. it looks like the performance of the ati cards is hit pretty bad when doing oldschool triliear filtering.

even the 6800 cards don't do true legasy trilinear...or at least I don't think so.
aligoritms differ for almost each vid card made by nVidia.

and as was mentioned, the IQ basicly stayed the same....I'm not suprised there.

now brilinear, is a far differant optimisation, and can be noticable in many games.

just my thoughts.

mica

now brilinear, is a far differant optimisation, and can be noticable in many games.
Then that would mean the 6800s aren't using brilinear, since the IQ is the same in games.

Whew, I just read through this, and it was painful.

This discussion got way too heated. Please see to it that it doesn't again. Okay?

Thanks -- macklin01

Nandro said:
I thought their was the option to use high quality in the settings on the 6800 which used true trilinear.

Yes, you can "force Trilinear" and disable AA & AF optimizations.

Back