• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Issues - PLEASE HEEELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if the problem is common on a a clean Windows install, AND a linux install, the issue is more likely than not a hardware failure..

yup.

and i will have you chaceing your tail too, because it would be very rare for ME to kill hardware. everything is older when it was built better, sits on regulated UPS things, sits in a case, the place doesnt get static, and we dont even get much lightning, and the wiring gets checked with voltmeters.

if he had used the words distortion, and one side out more often, i should have thrown in the words "Ground Loop" at least once too. Which is a loose term applied to many electrical interaction problems.

Last edited:
yup.

and i will have you chaceing your tail too, because it would be very rare for ME to kill hardware. everything is older when it was built better, sits on regulated UPS things, sits in a case, the place doesnt get static, and we dont even get much lightning, and the wiring gets checked with voltmeters.

if he had used the words distortion, and one side out more often, i should have thrown in the words "Ground Loop" at least once too. Which is a loose term applied to many electrical interaction problems.

You lost me there :confused:

easiest way to test for "ground loop" problems woud be test some headphones, battery powered speakers, or like Templinocturnus already pointed out, hook up an ipod or something. anything not plugged in to the wall.

to test for improper case grounding, and stuff like that, you need a meter, to test for any potential voltages from the case ground to the wall ground. which means sticking probes around AC plug items. which comes with disclaimers of being dangerous, if you dont know what your doing. Or being dangerous when you do know what your doing even :) and most dangerous when you know just enough to be dangerous :) like me.

again Templinocturnus already pointed out removing the motherboard fron the case, if there was any incorrect connections occuring there. standoffs hitting , contact locations with the board and metal. Then there is if anything ever got dropped in there, a hunk of metal is where it shouldnt be, some highly conductive thermal goop on your hands that got smeared on the board. and hundreds of other things.

If the board has to go Out, it is easy to check for some things on the way out.

if you just get a real sound card, you could just disable the onboard. a few years ago, the onboards werent even worth having, so the old school method would be to immediatly replace the onboard. but nowdays they are usually fully usable sound devices.

Last edited:
easiest way to test for "ground loop" problems woud be test some headphones, battery powered speakers, or like Templinocturnus already pointed out, hook up an ipod or something. anything not plugged in to the wall.

to test for improper case grounding, and stuff like that, you need a meter, to test for any potential voltages from the case ground to the wall ground. which means sticking probes around AC plug items. which comes with disclaimers of being dangerous, if you dont know what your doing. Or being dangerous when you do know what your doing even :) and most dangerous when you know just enough to be dangerous :) like me.

again Templinocturnus already pointed out removing the motherboard fron the case, if there was any incorrect connections occuring there. standoffs hitting , contact locations with the board and metal. Then there is if anything ever got dropped in there, a hunk of metal is where it shouldnt be, some highly conductive thermal goop on your hands that got smeared on the board. and hundreds of other things.

If the board has to go Out, it is easy to check for some things on the way out.

if you just get a real sound card, you could just disable the onboard. a few years ago, the onboards werent even worth having, so the old school method would be to immediatly replace the onboard. but nowdays they are usually fully usable sound devices.

yea, i took out the mobo and tested the audio back panel and the front as well. Still had the same problem :shrug: Lots of white noise from the front and barely any sound from the back. In the front, the left and right channel works but doesn't in the back. i even tried to all the other jacks in the back panel and get no sound from either one :bang head i really cant get a sound card because it wouldn't wit with my video card in place. This sucks :rain:

Back