• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AudioEngine and AudioTrak audiophile quailty for computers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well just ordered some samples of the LT1364 opamps right from linear technologies. I was reading that 1x LM4562NA and 2x of the LT1634s on the HD2 sound very good. Says 2 to 7 business days for shipping. Get em while theyre hot! Linear Technology - Order Samples Cart Add/Edit

:confused: Kinda confused here Sir Barton...Did you order the LT1364's or the LT1634's...Here is a search for the LT1634...I am assuming the LT1634S8 is the ones we need...First they show a diagram of the LT1634MS8 that does not look like the right size...Then they show the LT1634S8 that appears to be the right demision.

Then they list probably 60 different 1634's...:confused:

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1154,C1002,C1223,P1611

They have a distributor in in Houston :) Gotta love living in such a big city.

Jrank, with your speaker setup, I'd try to either lift the speakers off the ground a few inches, or tilt them upward. In that setup, you are having some first order reflections. Sound emits from the woofer at an 80-90 degree arc. Some of the waves are bouncing off the table before reaching you (might cause some cancellation/muddiness)

Just got my LT1634CN8s today...damn they sound good. Im running 1x LM4562NA and 2x LT1634CN8s, really made the mid range come alive. Vocals have a much bigger presence than they did before, and the highs have a great roll off now. This opamp rolling is getting addictive. running 3x LM4562NAs had a rather tinny sound compared to what Im running now. I think my next upgrade will be a tube amplifier :D.

I wish I knew about these before I bought my klipsch 2.1's.

--pak

at twice the price?

The audioengine 2 are good (~$200). But does not include a sub like your 2.1 klipsch. And as good as these Audioengine are, I'm not going to get rid of my B&W CM1's for them. :beer:

Just got my LT1634CN8s today...damn they sound good. Im running 1x LM4562NA and 2x LT1634CN8s, really made the mid range come alive. Vocals have a much bigger presence than they did before, and the highs have a great roll off now. This opamp rolling is getting addictive. running 3x LM4562NAs had a rather tinny sound compared to what Im running now. I think my next upgrade will be a tube amplifier :D.

I feel like a read headed step child...sniff...sniff...Had to buy a Creative card to tide me over until I can get my hands on the Audiotrak...Any body have some Klenex ?

One thing to note...LT1634's are not what you want...They are not opamps...It is just a typo...Just make sure you do not put 1634's in there.

Every picture tells a story don't it ???

Props again to our boyzzz in the hood Lodrin and Sir Barton.

:)

Last edited:
Seems another good combintion is running 2 of the LT1364CN8's and 1-LT1361CN8.

That is what I will be ordering from Newark...Another mod is to replace the capacitors with Sanyo WG's

I am trying to get a list of which Sanyo's to buy and where to buy them...I was hoping to buy the opamps and capacitors from Newark...But I cannot seem to find them on their site...Probably call them before I order the opamps to see if they have them in stock.

Man I am having a time trying to find stuff on these parts sites..."Your search skills are weak old man" Or so my boy Jason tells me anyway.

Loving my A5's that is for sure...Never had speakers hooked up to my computer that really show the sources rear end so much.

Connected them to an old Samsung SACD player I have and played some MFSL disk...WOW !!!!!

Whole new ballgame for sure.

This thread is making me want to spend money I don't have. Subscribed

I have a Fubar II USB/DAC coming...They bypass the computers sound card and because they are outside the case and are not affected by all the electrial noise associated with fans, power supply's and just the computer doing its thing...Are alleged to have much better sound quality versus a internal PCI sound card.

They are stereo, no surround or EAX...So they really are geared toward high sound quality stereo output.

I am going to order the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 tonight and will be doing a sound quality comparision when I get the HD2 opamps and capacitors changed out versus the Fubar II USB/DAC.

But for stereo only use there are almost endless USB/DAC's out there that can be had from cheap, to the sky is the limit...There are even some Do It Yourself DAC kits you can buy for 50 duckies.

There are other options as well...A USB/DAC-T-Amp paired with good bookshelf speakers are supposed to sound bad to the bone.

It is almost crazy how much the source effects the Audioengines...So a good source is very important.

The USB/DAC-T-Amp, bookshelf solution will cost you more money to exceed the Audioengine paired with a good source...I.E...HD2, Juli or USB/DAC.

You can buy a decent T-Amp for about 100 bones...And if you already have some decent bookshelf speakers could get into some great sound quality for not much money.

I have a old pair of high end Polk Audio bookshelf speaker sitting in the closet, that will be unretired as soon as I decide what T-Amp to buy.

Kinda curious how all this stuff will stack up against each other.

Stay tuned...This thing is just getting started.

Almost forgot...Borrowed a Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer from a friend.

Class A/B 100 watt RMS amp...10" woofer.

Easy RCA to RCA connect.

Boy for 150 bones it will bring a whole new world of bare knuckles, teeth rattling, high quality sound to an already stellar sounding pair of speakers.

Jrank, with your speaker setup, I'd try to either lift the speakers off the ground a few inches, or tilt them upward. In that setup, you are having some first order reflections. Sound emits from the woofer at an 80-90 degree arc. Some of the waves are bouncing off the table before reaching you (might cause some cancellation/muddiness)

I could not agree more...Lodrin knows what he is talking about.

I bought some MoPads...Big difference.

http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/products/MOPAD3.html

If you plan on setting them in a near field configuration on a solid desk. These are what you want.

I have been rooting around trying to find a suitable foam for some DIY type solution...40 bucks for some foam is...Well...Kinda pricey.

Thanks for the testing Hookem. I lack the knowledge at this point for sound but once you are happy with the results you find I'll probably copy your set up.

From everything I can gather the HD2 sounds sweet with 2 LT1364's and 1 LT1361...Scoured the web for guys with the HD2...Great place to start...And possibly finish...I mean these guys have tried countless numbers of combinations and it sounds to me like they would be a great match for the A5, HD2 combo.

I would certainly get my hands on those opamps...My solder skills are untested as of yet...So I am going to have to have a friend replace the capacitors on the HD2...Probably not necessay...But hey the capacitors are inexpensive and it will give me a good excuse to go hang with my bro.

Get the Linear Technology 1364's and a 1361...It will certainly be a big step up from the way the HD2 comes from the factory...Cheap or free...Really cannot go wrong.

I am sure SirBarton is rolling omamps as we speak...LOL...Gotta love it...It must be highly addictive this rolling the opamp thing...Hey when SirBarton figures all this stuff out we can go visit him in rehab...LOL...Just messin withca SirBarton.

I once again have to give props to Lodrin for hipping me to AudioEngine and SirBarton for turning me on to the Audiotrak.

You guys rule...Thanks again.

I'll be back !!!!

Last edited:
Back