• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto CD Loader?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxro

Registered
Like a lot of people I have an ever growing CD and DVD collection in the region of
a couple of hundred disks, currently I store them in a case logic bag which is a bit
of a pain to get out every time I want a disk..

So i was watching the film Eraser and theres a part in that film where this women
gos into this big volt filled with computers to steal the plans for a futuristic
weapon and theres this really cool machine with a robotic arm which spins round
and selects the correct CD and puts it in the drive, and I was thinking thats just
what I need.

Does anyone know where you can buy a similar machine?

Ta.

CD Jukeboxes (which you're describing) are rather expensive machines. Understand you're talking of a minimum expenditure of $5-10k for a capacity of several hundred CD/DVDs. Prices have come down some in the past 5 years as hard-drive based NAS/SAN CD servers, which store the images and just mount those, have come into favor due to higher speeds, reduced latency, ease of management, and capability to handle larger concurrent user loads.

If you're still looking, though, JVC makes a number of Jukeboxes, as does Pioneer and a few other smaller companies. Just dig around on google for CD jukebox and you'll find plenty of info.

threeme2189 said:
just get a few chunky HDD's, store the images on them and mount them with Daemon tools.

This is probably the best all-around option. Magnetic storage is much more managable and dense than optical.

mp3 files are the future, just import all our media in itunes or something and it sorts it all out for you free

Back