• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto-rotation of screen using a gyroscope mounted on the monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackJack10

Ayo, I'm back from my hiatus with a question of sorts.

Lets say I have a monitor that can be oriented vertically and horizontally. Now, say I wanted to go from playing a game to reading a long document of some sort. I'd flip the screen orientation to vertical within the PC, and then turn the monitor from horizontal to vertical.

What I want to be able to do is have the PC do that for me. Mount a gyroscope on the back of the monitor that will automatically change the orientation of the screen whenever the monitor is moved. Question is, is it possible to use a gyroscope in this way?

Sorry if I'm not too clear on the question, I'm a bit puzzled by it myself. Thanks in advance.

i think your looking for accelerometer, and sure it could be done. but how to do it is beyond me.

A tilt switch or even a position switch is much easier. Not too sure about the software side, but one way would be to add an I2C port expander to the DDC bus, then have the software regularly poll it.

i think your looking for accelerometer, and sure it could be done. but how to do it is beyond me.
I was thinking accelerometer too. Both would work, but a bump could set off an accelerometer whereas a gyroscope would be unaffected.
A tilt switch or even a position switch is much easier. Not too sure about the software side, but one way would be to add an I2C port expander to the DDC bus, then have the software regularly poll it.
How would one go about this? Could it be done, say, over USB (in a situation where a laptop is the culprit rather than a monitor)?

You can use a USB microcontroller for that. Indeed, you could have some software watch for key combinations (that are very unlikely to be normally used) and the microcontroller emulate a keyboard.

That's a good idea. The lappy in question has a Type II PCCard slot I could force mod to fit a microcontroller. Use a combination such as Ctrl+f+l+i+p or something like that (I'll figure it out) to flip the screen whenever I'd like. I think I'm getting that right, am I not?

Instead of manually flipping the monitor and then automatically changing screen orientation, why not go the more fun route and automatically flip the monitor AND automatically change the screen orientation?

An arduino or other microcontroller, a hefty servo, and a bit of hacking could do this for you. :)

Instead of manually flipping the monitor and then automatically changing screen orientation, why not go the more fun route and automatically flip the monitor AND automatically change the screen orientation?

An arduino or other microcontroller, a hefty servo, and a bit of hacking could do this for you. :)
You. I like you. Consider it a side project to my side project.

Back