• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automated overclocking with the Biostar 890FXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I was just wondering if other people had more options for the automated overclock on this motherboard. The biggest overclock option I'm given is V12 Overclock. I installed a software program from their website that gave me the option of V15 Overclocking.

Does anyone have the option to automate a faster OC in the BIOS, such as a V15 overclock?

I'm asking because I am wondering if my RAM isn't good enough to overclock well,despite water-cooling my CPU.

I have 4 GB of this RAM

Hey again, serious overclocking isn't done automatically. Also your CPU has an unlocked multiplier so you could use the slowest RAM in existence and it wouldn't matter. Also that RAM can overclock well above 1800mhz if you really pushed it. You need to overclock in the BIOS and not use automated junk if you really want the best overclock for your CPU.

Hey again, serious overclocking isn't done automatically. Also your CPU has an unlocked multiplier so you could use the slowest RAM in existence and it wouldn't matter. Also that RAM can overclock well above 1800mhz if you really pushed it. You need to overclock in the BIOS and not use automated junk if you really want the best overclock for your CPU.

Yeah..I am doing it manually, but I figured the software would give me a basic idea of what the minimum OC should be.

I haven't found any good use for the Auto-clock programs - not even what you propose. They're just useless unless you simply don't have the time to learn OC'ing but want a boost and don't care much about stability.

If you're looking for your 955 limits you'd probably get a better idea of that just reading some OCF threads! ;) Most 955/965/975BE's can run 3.8 GHz without too much trouble. Since you're water cooled you may be able to push it to 4.0 GHz or more, depending on your chip.

And don't worry about the RAM too much. If you use your component multipliers instead of the clock you can keep the RAM at stock speed/timings. As you push past 3.8 GHz it may even help to lower the RAM down to 1333 CL7 instead of 1600 CL9. Newer AMD's prefer slower and tight to faster and loose - it often helps the CPU and cpuNB overclocks ...

Thats what I did...lowered the RAM to 1333 CL7 and I'm running the CPU at 3.99Ghz....but I feel like thats underperforming for an overclock. The automated OC clocked it to 3.83Ghz, so I was sure I'd be able to push this at least to 4.25Ghz....or maybe even a little further.

I made a thread in the AMD CPU section that you've replied to. I will just continue posting updates and asking questions in that thread. I'm not automating my overclocking anyway, so this thread should be closed and continued over at my other thread.

Thanks guys!

Back