• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM overclock prevents system booting up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbates

I'm looking at overclocking my RAM but when I do this the system doesn't boot up. I need to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS and get it back up and running.

What I've got is;

CPU | Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard | MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Memory | G Skill Trident Neo 3600Mhz CL14 4x8GB

I've seen examples online where people have achieved a stable RAM overclock with this RAM to 4000MHz so I tried to raise it to this in my BIOS options. Upon reboot, the motherboard has debug lights which indicate there was an issue and I need to revert the changes so it works. I've also tried to raise the clock speed to 3800MHz in case 4000MHz was too high but this gave the same issue.

The motherboard is capable of running DDR4 RAM up to 4400MHz so this shouldn't be causing the problem.

Any idea what might be preventing the system from booting up and how I can overclock my RAM successfully?

I would try to raise your initial timings to 15-15-15-36 or even 16s. If you are trying to make higher clocks at the 14 timings, I expect it will hinder the speed ratings it will boot with

I'm looking at overclocking my RAM but when I do this the system doesn't boot up. I need to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS and get it back up and running.
There should be a clear cmos jumper to make this process faster

What I've got is;

CPU | Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard | MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Memory | G Skill Trident Neo 3600Mhz CL14 4x8GB

I've seen examples online where people have achieved a stable RAM overclock with this RAM to 4000MHz so I tried to raise it to this in my BIOS options. Upon reboot, the motherboard has debug lights which indicate there was an issue and I need to revert the changes so it works. I've also tried to raise the clock speed to 3800MHz in case 4000MHz was too high but this gave the same issue.
Are you also increasing DRAM voltage and SOC voltage, since you are unlikely to be OC the ram at stock voltages.

The motherboard is capable of running DDR4 RAM up to 4400MHz so this shouldn't be causing the problem.
The memory controller on your CPU is going to be the biggest factor for your OC headroom.

Any idea what might be preventing the system from booting up and how I can overclock my RAM successfully?
I would try to take a more measure approach and slowly raise setting to see where you can get on stock voltage then raise voltage to get stable at OC and rinse and repeat. Also 4 sticks will be harder to get to OC stable versus 2 sticks usually. Also 3600Mhz is typically the sweet spot since you are likely to have your infinity fabric to decouple from 1:1 past that point. So your actual application may or may not improve going past 3600.
See green

32 gb is a large amount to begin with and then trying to overclock it just puts even more strain on the IMC.

Its the pushing of 4x8 that is the hard part. My 5600X is stable as a table at 2K fclk 1:1 with 2 sticks, but my 5900X wont do that. It will but there are many errors. Find out what it can do first before you start reaching for the tippy top.

Won't see 4000, at least not at any respectable timings.
3800 @ C16 is probably a good goal.

Is it working at 3600C14 or not at all? I initially read this that it wasn't working at any settings, but if it is working at XMP settings and only not overclocking above then you're really doing quite well and won't see much improvement in performance (in some cases loss of performance over 3800 due to how Ryzen handles the memory controller and infinity fabric clock speed) going higher.

Back