• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ax478 or mcx4000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

big_bertha

What is better in real world tests of the 2. The thermalright ax478 or the swiftech mcx4000. I know there is something going on right now about a bad batch of the ax478's and i tend to like the mcx4000 a little better. also i am going to use a 40-50cfm fan so not quiet by any means, but not loud either. are these the best of the 80mm fan P4 batch or is there something better.

note: forget the pal8942. i need to blow air, not suck it :)

Go with the MCX 4000, but make sure you have enough space around your socket first ;)

the recent ax-478's have been having some bad problems..IE: falling apart!! go with the mcx400000

Starfoxer said:
the recent ax-478's have been having some bad problems..IE: falling apart!! go with the mcx400000

Just make sure you don't get an MCX4000 with the TMD fan. Those TMD fans are being recalled...

Starfoxer said:

There has only been one report of a AX-478 falling apart.

thanks for the vote of confidence in my hunch

I was planning to put a "Thermaltake 80mm Smart Case Fan 2" on it so i could adjust the speed to my noise tolerance and the voltage doesn't look like it will short my mobo if i use the cpu fan header.

how much if at all does the mcx4000 need to be lapped. i saw a friends and it looked so good out of the bod it probably doesnt need to be touched. anyone try one with/without lapping it who can let me know what the temp decrease would be?

thanks again for your expertise. this really is a good community. guess 13 year old script kiddies cant affort to play with their pc's ;)

Back