• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup and Restore file help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

I moved to OSX a while back but made a backup of my files in windows 7 using the back up and restore program built in.

I have moved that back up and restore file a couple of times through my OSX external hard drives since I only kept it as an archive in case SHTF and I need to have a complete copy of my old windows files. I am trying to extract the files out of the backup and restore file so that I can have 2 copies of it. One would be the original Back up and Restore file and the 2nd will be a pure file copy with folders and everything.

Now here is the issue, when I load up the backup into windows, windows just sees it as a normal folder filled with zips (the data isnt lost i can restore the files from the zip folders but they are not organized in anyway.) I think this happened because I opened the back up and restore file in OSX and it saw and treated it like a normal folder. I see that it also has a folder inside called a catalog which I think is how windows back up and restore understands how to rebuild the proper directories and then place the files inside.

How would I make windows 7 recognize that this folder is really a back up and restore file so that it can restore the files in the proper structure? It still has the mediaID files along with the folder containing the zips.

suggest that you make a copy of your backup file and restore from there. Is your backup copy or like differential? I hope it is copy otherwise you'll only get the latest changes.

Keep trying restoring it on your windows 7 machine.
Good luck

Back