• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96s10

My dad has a cheaper home built computer, it has a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H.

This started out of no where and it just keeps beeping and beeping. No set of countable series or anything.

So I'm guessing his motherboard is shot? The video never even boots up.

Sounds like it might be memory related. I had the same thing happen to my wifes rig. Ended up one of the sticks died.

You should try to narrow down what could be failing before declaring it dead. Beeping can mean a lot of things.

Reset the CMOS
Unhook all unnecessary devices (hdd, addon cards)
Reseat all of the power connectors (8 pin and 24 pin)
Swap in known working RAM or try one stick at a time, in different slots - one might be broken
If you have another power supply, try that in its place
If it has an external video card, try another one
Remove the motherboard and run it on a non-conductive/non-capacitive surface (i.e. do not run on anti-static bags)
Give it a careful inspection, making sure it is clean and there are no scorch marks

You should try to narrow down what could be failing before declaring it dead. Beeping can mean a lot of things.

Reset the CMOS
Unhook all unnecessary devices (hdd, addon cards)
Reseat all of the power connectors (8 pin and 24 pin)
Swap in known working RAM or try one stick at a time, in different slots - one might be broken
If you have another power supply, try that in its place
If it has an external video card, try another one
Remove the motherboard and run it on a non-conductive/non-capacitive surface (i.e. do not run on anti-static bags)
Give it a careful inspection, making sure it is clean and there are no scorch marks

I've never heard this before.. what's the problem with doing this?

I've never heard this before.. what's the problem with doing this?
To prevent confusion next time, you should eliminate all the lines but the one you are asking about or make it more obvious (red works well).

Anti-static bags conduct electricity to dissipate static charges and prevent static build up when two non-conductors rubbing each other. Putting electronics on materials that conduct electricity is bad. Thus, putting them on anti-static bags is bad.

Good tip about the antistatic sheet, thideras. Never thought of that before.

Good tip about the antistatic sheet, thideras. Never thought of that before.
I've seen it mentioned enough that I start to worry when I say "put it on a non-conductive surface". Technically speaking, there are some bags that conduct only on the inside and would be safe to use or are made in a way that they wouldn't conduct enough energy to matter. The problem is, it isn't always easy to tell and generally isn't worth the risk with non-conductive materials readily available.

Back