• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad news for nVidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkWhite

In news not yet released to the public, nVidia has lost their 3xx series graphics cards. Since new cards are expected to be released soon, they have moved their schedule forward and will release the GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 very soon.
/attempt at humor

I just heard the first two GF100 based GPU's will be known as theGeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470, and since I haven't seen that news here, I figured I'd post it.

The 3xx series cards are nowhere to be found.

No the names are true, but I don't have links, got the info from a retailer who I work with quite a bit.

Its on nvidia tweeter page.... First products based on GF100 will be named gtx470 and gtx480, whatever that might imply.

No the names are true, but I don't have links, got the info from a retailer who I work with quite a bit.

You better not be joking.... Just because ATI/AMD has the fastest single GPU in the world doesn't mean you can rub it in other peoples faces and smear the good name of the green team. At any rate calling their GPU the 4x series vs the 3x series has no real impact on the product.

As a side note, my NVdia fanboy friends said this: You can't compare a brand new card to an old card, so I'm going to wait for the 3x series before I make a decision.

I said in reply: You can't compare a brand new card to an old card, so if you want to upgrade, you should make your decision now. Otherwise I suggest when the 3x series comes out you say, "You can't compare a brand new card to an old card, so I will wait for the ATI 6x series to come out before I make a decision".

okay, to all who are taking this thread a little too seriously, I was kidding, seeing as they skipped over the 300-series cards, no offence was intended, I was just trying to inject some humor to the situation.

This just in! nVidia to do another die shrink of the G92 core, and release it as the GTX350!
(insert lame sarcasm mark)

I see what you were trying to do with the whole humor aspect, how the new fermi cards will be called the GTX4blahblah series, and skipping over GTX3blahblah, but I can see where the confusion comes in.

I'm not a fanboy of either side, I use whatever is best at the time. But, with their new cards being released quite a few months after ATIs card (which, while not a long long time in real life, is huge for technology's life cycle), I'd expect the fermi cards to blow away what ATI has. They can't hold out that long, then only put out something that that matches the competitors. They need to blow it away.

I'm not a fanboy of either side, I use whatever is best at the time. But, with their new cards being released quite a few months after ATIs card (which, while not a long long time in real life, is huge for technology's life cycle), I'd expect the fermi cards to blow away what ATI has. They can't hold out that long, then only put out something that that matches the competitors. They need to blow it away.

Same here. I would have gone 5-series but the performance wasn't much of an improvement over my almost 2 years old card. More like an enhancement of current generation performance, rather than next-gen.

Fermi/GF100/GTX 480/whatever is going to be the actual next generation, and ATI will release their competing products later this year.

Well, if you are reffering to me as a fan boy, Im not :)

I am sick of seeing people rub the other guys nose in the dirt, because of how good this is, and how good that isnt. Those are fanboys :) And I didnt mean this thread in particular, my above post was a moment of verbal diarhea :D

You know, when you say something with your outside voice, but really it was just eavesdropping on what your inside voice was saying<--- Youve done it before, maybe not here, or another forum, but in the outside world.. :blah:

I understand posting on a forum is a more involved process then that.. but whatever :)

:grouphug:

Well, if you are reffering to me as a fan boy, Im not :)

I am sick of seeing people rub the other guys nose in the dirt, because of how good this is, and how good that isnt. Those are fanboys :) And I didnt mean this thread in particular, my above post was a moment of verbal diarhea :D

You know, when you say something with your outside voice, but really it was just eavesdropping on what your inside voice was saying<--- Youve done it before, maybe not here, or another forum, but in the outside world.. :blah:

I understand posting on a forum is a more involved process then that.. but whatever :)

:grouphug:

I know exactly what you're saying, I was just trying to prevent the possibility of a flame war, and god kknows we've all had diarrhea of the mouth before, you would not believe what comes out of your mouth when you're sitting in front of a comittee trying to explain why the cops were called to a baseball game.....

But back on topic, I hope these are more powerful than the ATI cards (they pretty much have to be) seeing as I'm expecting to pull $800 a month umpiring this year, and I'll actually be able to buy a high-end card.

It's one of those things where it's either release it early and get a buggy inferior product or release it late and get a tested, competitive card.

Oh I know I'm just antsy to see what it folds like :D

I have no clue why I'm so stuck on folding :D but it's fun watching your numbers go up every couple hours.

Better to release a stable card later, they've already pushed it back once, doing it again won't cost nearly as much as that first one (and the stupidity that went with the coverup).
Pushing it back once and then releasing a buggy product would be a terrible call.
Much better to be honest and release it when it's done.

Back