• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Bank Cycle Time (tRC), ¿what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

This is my current timings and I was wondering what Bank Cycle Time (tRC) is exactly.
¿Is the current value optimal or should I set it lower? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=131
TechPowerUp said:
tRC Timing: Row Cycle Time. The minimum time in cycles it takes a row to complete a full cycle. This can be determined by; tRC = tRAS + tRP. If this is set too short it can cause corruption of data and if it is to high, it will cause a loss in performance, but increase stability.

Outside of synthetic benchmarks, changing your timings will have very little to no effect on performance or feel. I'd suggest leaving it.

You can play with tRC if you want but effects won't be so visible. Usually can be tuned +/- 10 and higher or lower will cause instability. Too high should cause drop in performance but for DDR3 it often looks like no boot at all.
In theory it's tRC = tRAS + tRP but I haven't seen any memory above 1600 set like that.
In your case it's not worth to play with it and if you look for higher memory performance then I would advice to check if you can set higher CPU-NB clock rather than tighter timings.

I manage to fiddle about with the timings more, following a setup that Aida64 showed and it worked.
Did a Prime95 Blend test for 2 hours and I've been using the PC with that configuration for 2 days and no glitch so far.

Here's the screenie:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see what was accomplished. In the pic. above, the effective DRAM frequency and timings are the same as what the modules are rated to run at (assuming the 7-7-7-19-26 1T timings listed in your sig. are the default at DDR3-1333).

Back