• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+ (333FSB) and MSI 745 Ultra + HyperX.. why glitching?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gemini1706

I just upgraded my AthlonX1600+ and bought a barton 2500+.
I am not overclocking or anything, so I upped my fsb on my MSI Ultra 745 from 133 to 166 (for Barton), but then the computer will not boot.

(mob= MSI Ultra 745, Video= Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB, Ram= 512MB HyperX PC3000, HDD= Maxtor 80G 7200rpm)

I checked the mem timing in bios, and lowered it from 2 2 5 to 2.5 3 6 (or something), and now it boots fine.

I benchmarked with Sandra 2004 and eveything is alright..

temps are:
34C_Case
45C_Idle
51C_Load

I will use arctic silver very soon, so I am not very worried about 51C load.

NOW: I re-play a recorded Age Of Methology Game, and run it in fasr forward (and also swapped between desktop and game a few times, which I do a lot in the past), ALL OF a SUDDEN the computer FREEZES :mad: ? WTF

I reboot, eveything is fine. Run Prime95 for about 10hours 9and still running) and eveything is fine :eek:

Now, my question(s) are:

1- WHY ON EARTH HyperX 3000 will not run 2 2 5? It is specified to be 2 2 5 (at even higher FSB, 370MHZ!!)

2- Is the computer freeze I experienced due to RAM, or CPU, or Mobo? How can I tell :mad:

3- Windows says the CPU is XP2200 (I guess because of freq=1.83GHz?)

4- Should I up the voltage on my ram?

5- If Prime95 runs for a long time and eveything is stable, can this mean that I do not have a mem issue?

Is the freese I experienced could be just a very random glitch? maybe I do not have any problem to start with?

I am soooooo ****ssedddd :mad: that HyperX is not running 2 2 5 at 333.. WTF why then pay $100 for such crap...

Please help...

I am really ANGRY :mad:
Cheers...

make sure the jumper on your motherboard isnt set to 133. my bro's would boot with the pin set to 133/166 with the bios set to 100, when i changed the fsb to 166 and the multi to 12.5 and it wouldnt boot, when i reset it it wouldnt boot either cuz it was trying to do 100fsb with the jumper set to 133/166, just an idea, whats your vcore??

Hmmm... I do not think I have a jumper in my mobo.. it is all in the bios I believe. Let me check later.

I CAN boot now, no problem (if you readmy post). But it froze on me ONCE (during gaming)... Running Prime95 will not cause it to freeze.

I know my story is a little long (prev post), but it says all what i experienced..

HyperX? Bullsht...

My vcore is default (as we as all my other voltages)... I think it is 1.7V...

L337 M33P said:
Your motherboard doesn't officially support 166FSB - SiS 645 Chipset - which is why you get random crashes when stressing the NB totally (ie. AGP/RAM/CPU all at once)

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=13

True it does not support it officially, but many people used it with 166FSB. I even overclocked my XP1600+ to 166FSB no problem..

I even benchmarked it using 3DMark2001. But it was running stable..

Could it be because this game just stressed the mobo soo much that it crashed? I believe many people using this mobo at 166 no problems..

I guess we see what others may say :(

I hope it is not my mobo, since that is why I bought it back then, because it was proven (by people here and other places) that is does run at 166 stable..

Please, do not be my mobo :( :(

Ok.. I got the 333FSB Barton 2500+ and HyperX 512MB PC3000, what a good motherboard can go with this combo?

I am planning to run ATA RAID 0 very soon, so a built-in RAID is highly desired. Also, I may up my RAM another 512MB, so a dual DDR operation is desired (nForce2 or something)...

What is a good mobo that satisifies the above criteria (ATA RAID and Dual DDR) for around $80 or so?

Please help :)

Cheers...

If your Palomino ran fine at 166MHz FSB and the barton is causing problems, it might not be the board at all.
What is your power supply, and what are the +5v and +12v rail reading that you get, if they're too low, that could explain why it crashes on you the way it does.

I am using MBM5..
I think my mem is OK, since it was running under xp1600 very good, even overclocked. I also ran Prime95 for almost 20hours with no problem at fsb 333 with this barton. It is only during gaming that this crash happens..

The Coolest said:
If your Palomino ran fine at 166MHz FSB and the barton is causing problems, it might not be the board at all.
What is your power supply, and what are the +5v and +12v rail reading that you get, if they're too low, that could explain why it crashes on you the way it does.

Hmmm... never thought about that.... Power Supply

The only thing I noticed is that made me doubt my ps is:
MBM5 shows avoltage of 1.6 for Vcore, while in the bios it is set as 1.65V !!!! :( :(

Could it be my stupid power supply? I hopt it is my ps.. since it is cheaper than getting a whole mobo ...etc.
I will post results from mbm5 later when I get back from work :)

Thanks everybody for help..

And any more tips/comments are very very welcomed :)

Cheers...

Well the Radeon 9500Pro is a pretty powerfull chip, so when its not being stressed then the PSU might be powerfull enough to power the CPU alone, but when u launch a game and the graphics card gets to work and the CPU is also loaded, that could cause a crash, I'm talking from expirience. When I has a POS PSU I could easily pass 24 hours of Prime but it would crash randomly out of games till I lowered my CPU speed.
Having a good PSU is key for a good overclock.
Run MBM5 and straight away get into a game, play for a bit and exit/crash it, and check the MBM5 "High/Low" windows for the lowest readings. post all the readings for +5v and +12v.

Ok..
I monitored my voltages during stress and idle with FSB 133 and FSB 166. No difference at ALL. 12V=12.1V all the time, 5V=4.9V or so all the time ...etc.
So I guess the power supply is not the cause I guess.

BUT: I touched the heatsink on my northbridge or whatever that is (a chip with a heatsink on it says MSI DDR) I assume it is the northbridge, and IT IS REALLY REALLY HOT at FSB 166 :( :(

I guess I put my finger on the cause ( :) I mean it :) )..

NOW: You think a better heatsink and/or fan could solve this problem? I hope it can.

Questions:

(1)- What a good northbridge heatsink I can get? Do I really need a fan?

(2)- Will this solve my HyperX timing issue? at fsb 166 can I still run the ram at T2? that is what the ram is speced at. Do you think it may ned more voltage?

Please help...

Cheers....

dont know about #2, but #1, I know a little about. The stock heatsink has proven to be worthy, with a lot of people showing nothing from WC or a better heatsink and fan on the north. The stock one is fine, unless you are trying to push 220 mhz or up. But if you have your heart set on getting one, find the zalman chipset heatsink, IMO, one of the best out there.

Hmm... you mean I am maxed at 166fsb? you said unless above 220, but I am only running 166!!!

You think it is not a heatsink on the northbirdge issue?

macz28 said:
dont know about #2, but #1, I know a little about. The stock heatsink has proven to be worthy, with a lot of people showing nothing from WC or a better heatsink and fan on the north. The stock one is fine, unless you are trying to push 220 mhz or up. But if you have your heart set on getting one, find the zalman chipset heatsink, IMO, one of the best out there.

Did you even read what motherboard we're talking about here?

What you should do is find some old 40x40mm fan and put it on the northbridge. even better remove the heatsink apply some thermal paste (if it already has some, then reapply) and reseat the heatsink, and then add a fan. Although for passive cooling the heatsink might not be capable enough to cope w/ 166MHz, but with an active cooler it should do MUCH better. Give this a shot, if it don't lower the temp of the NB, then consider an after market NB cooling

well, i thought passive cooling worked up to 200 mhz easily, I mean, passive cooling is working for me ... im at 200

It's the HyperX RAM!! I have two stick of these HyperX3000, Abit NF7-S and Barton2500+. These ram causes random reboot, checked with memtest86 at 166MH FSB, they generated millions of errors. Contacted Kingston last night, asked them to exchange to two new sticks. Kingston's RAM carry life time warranty.

Ok.. I guess I comfimred that it is a heat issue on the northbirge:
I brought a high speed fan and made it blow on the northbridge from a distance while case is open. I ran the game in loop mode, it looped for many hours without crashing, then I stopped the fan, and the computer hangup on me after almost 30 mins :) (while game looping)...
I check the ram using Microsoft Mem Diagonistic (that boots from DOS and runs memeroy testing, and the hyperX looked fine, No single error)....

I guess I need to put a fan on the northbridge heatsink..

------------>>> Anybody have an idea how to attach a fan to this northbridge? I do not wanna pull the heatsink out since it looks glued on the chip, so I do not wanna risk cracking it like I did with my older video card :)

Any idea how to attach a fan to the heatsink on the NB heatsink?

Thanks in advance.. and Thanks for all those helped :)

Back