• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
weird i have never been disconnected unless something on my end happened like my friend downloading a torrent randomly and eating all of my bandwidth

Speaking of servers..just wondering about the mechanics on BF3 multi. When I designate a server that I want to join and the "loading game" begins. What's actually happening? I mean where on my machine are they loading something. In my RAM? Or just what does all that mean. I guess I ask in particular with BF3 because it takes so long...for me anyway. And I assume its mostly the same for others. Whether its a low or high ping still quite a wait. Not a complaint just curious about what's happening.

I am not sure, but I assumed it was like starting a game normally, so loading the game code and art assets.

It also can take some time for me to get into games, even with my new Vertex 3. I do like the functionality of viewing stats in Battlelog, but I wish it was more like a traditional game where the game code was already loaded, and you just have to load the map to join a server.

Speaking of servers..just wondering about the mechanics on BF3 multi. When I designate a server that I want to join and the "loading game" begins. What's actually happening? I mean where on my machine are they loading something. In my RAM? Or just what does all that mean. I guess I ask in particular with BF3 because it takes so long...for me anyway. And I assume its mostly the same for others. Whether its a low or high ping still quite a wait. Not a complaint just curious about what's happening.

When you first start the game, it loads everything and then the map.

When on a server that rotates maps, depending on the map, loading time is quicker.

I've noticed it takes a bit longer to join a server from the beginning that is hosting Caspian Border than if it loads after playing another map. It's the same with other maps, too.

I'm usually one of the first few people to spawn when the server changes maps and I have an identical system as yours, but I use a 1TB hdd as my main OS drive w/ games installed on them....

You need to look at your Windows taskbar after you join a server and click the BF3 icon when it is active. Then the game will come up. This is what a lot of people are not doing. Understandable, since this is the first game I've ever dealt with to behave like this.

You need to look at your Windows taskbar after you join a server and click the BF3 icon when it is active. Then the game will come up. This is what a lot of people are not doing. Understandable, since this is the first game I've ever dealt with to behave like this.

Thanks Steve/good info I'll check into that.

When you first start the game, it loads everything and then the map.

When on a server that rotates maps, depending on the map, loading time is quicker.

I've noticed it takes a bit longer to join a server from the beginning that is hosting Caspian Border than if it loads after playing another map. It's the same with other maps, too.

I'm usually one of the first few people to spawn when the server changes maps and I have an identical system as yours, but I use a 1TB hdd as my main OS drive w/ games installed on them....

Good to know/thanks

Think I"m gonna give up on BF3.. Its been nothing but a headache for me. I realize it isn't for others and goodluck to you. Its never played well on my PC and internet connection, and other games do play well. I've spent way to much time with their support just trying to get the game to launch. Many many trips there for the repeated same problem. I must have a bug problem or similar.

I like the game..especially conquest..but there are rarely any populated conquest servers in my area.

And its just never been right on my machine. Even though the server indicates I've go a really low ping..I can tell from game play that I don't. And or no matter how I lower/raise graphics and similar problem not solved.

I've got plenty of other shooters, and happy for that, that play excellent on my machine so I'm going there and not to BF3.. Too much frustration for me:).

Good luck

Anyone running this on a 7850? Was curious about how it ran on multiplayer.

Here is a video of one running it very well on Caspian @ 1080p Ultra without AA
MOBO: Gigabyte P55A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8 GHz
RAM: 12 GB Kingmax 1333 MHz
VGA: Sapphire HD 7850 OC @ 1050/1450 MHz
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2

Latest CQC map pack trailer: Donya Fortress

Embed!

Looks awesome!

Last edited:
Back