• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fant0m

If the Alpha is any indicator of things to come, I think I will definitely have to upgrade my computer for Battlefield 3.

My current rig plays almost everything that I want as of now which is basically games pre-2011 and 2011 games on medium settings.

AMD Athlon X4 2.8GHZ(or Phenon- I'm on my laptop now I will verify this later)
4 GB Ram
EVGA GeForce 7800GTX+

I think the first thing to do is upgrade my video card. I don't want to get the latest and greatest which will cost a premium. I want a card that will render Battlefield 2 without hiccups on 1980x1050.

Not sure if it will be necessary to upgrade processor or not. Obviously my mobo is AMD and I'm not sure but around when I was building the buzz was all Intel processors being more bang for your buck and better overall. If so I kind of blew it there because I am not interested in upgrading mobo.

Thanks guys.

Any budget for the upgrade?

New GPU and probably a CPU too. if you don't want to change the motherboard, there's still plenty of high-end CPUs you can upgrade to.

Any budget for the upgrade?

New GPU and probably a CPU too. if you don't want to change the motherboard, there's still plenty of high-end CPUs you can upgrade to.

I'm not sure. If I get a $!50 video card will my CPU bottleneck it? Will BF3 run smooth without upgrading the CPU too?

a $50 videocard certainly wont play BF3 smooth. I would start saving your money now for an upgrade in a couple months.

Your current card is worth a hair less than $50 used to be honest...

You're going to need at least a GTX460 ($120 B-Stock from EVGA), and probably a PIIX4 955 OCed like mad or a hexacore. If we can take any indication from Bad Company 2, BF3 will eat as many cores as it can get and will love a good CPU.

Back