• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Be Prepared for the Unexpected!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver Surfer

I just replaced a D5 pump that had failed on my Chilled Water Cooling vs 3.0 setup and was back in business in 4 hours, reason being for this post is to remind all of you that water cool your computers to have at least one backup pump on hand. I see a lot of members here especially new to water cooling barely buying what they need to get setup, and not at all prepared for the inevitable failure. The water pump being the mechanical part of the system is not an if it fails part, it is a, when it fails part!

When it fails are you ready with a replacement on hand, or are you completely dead in the water until you order a replacement and wait, wait, wait, for it's arrival. If you order next day delivery you'll pay almost what the pump costs to get it, so knowing the possibility is down the road it's much cheaper to buy a backup pump and have it on hand. To me that's why All In Ones are such a joke, as pump failure there puts you down completely, and hopefully you at least kept your air cooler the AIO replaced.

Believe it or not I still have 2 backup pumps on hand, along with replacement tubing, and for my Chilled setup tubing insulation as well, so when the failure happens it's just a short inconvenience, and nothing more.

The D5 pump failure was because the impeller support post bearing wore down and allowed the magnetically suspended impeller to actually touch the winding housing and start to rub the housing resulting in failure. That is a common failure of the D5 pump style but I got well over 5 years of use before it failed. All moving parts eventually wear out, that's just a fact of life, so be prepared for when they do.

Hope this warning helps. SS

Good advice.

Though I don't have an extra pump on hand, microcenter is 15 mins away from me worst case. :)

I have spare ram, and spare video cards. Also spare hard drives that I don't think work. Also have spare pc. And monitor.

I would like to peacefully argue that having spares is not necessary. Anything can fail, but it doesn't mean we need to have a spare for it. Especially now, when we have smart phones, one might go without pc for weeks.

I would like to peacefully argue that having spares is not necessary. Anything can fail, but it doesn't mean we need to have a spare for it. Especially now, when we have smart phones, one might go without pc for weeks.

So you think your phone games pretty well then?

I have spares for everything, including all chiller parts.

I have spare PC parts but just don't have an extra CPU or MB for the X99 but everything else including the idle X58s (x2) is all there. I also run two pumps in serial for those reasons as already stated so I have the redundancy and time to get a replacement just in case.

Glad to hear you got up and running in no time.

Well, if it started leaking or stopped turning, and you need to wait a week for spare part, surely you won't die or go nuts by not playing for a week:shrug:

I mean, losing out on OCF for a week is another story of course..

I have a spare computer up and running, spare mobos, spare CPUs marginal RAM, and two really low end VGAs that will at least give me a picture. And in a pinch a 1600 watt power sub station. LOL I need some air coolers to stash away, though, just in case.

Don't/won't have a smart phone. My phone is barely a phone. LOL

You're missing out, Mr.Alaric Sir!
See what taco can do? He can browse the web on his phone!

I have two computers, parts to slap together at least one more, a tablet, and RGB Toes has a tablet, a laptop, a PC, and a "smart" phone, and my phone cost-wait for it-$11. I think I have it covered. :D

Last edited:
I have two computers, parts to slap together at least one more, a tablet, my girlfriend has a tablet, a laptop, a PC, and a "smart" phone, and my phone cost-wait for it-$11. I think I have it covered. :D

You forgot to add RGB toes. ;)

Back