• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been out of the loop for ages and have an old Promethea Mach I

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildBill3/75

Hello All,

I used to be really into overclocking back around the early 2000's and have had my promethean mach I phase changing unit sitting in the basement for a while now and was thinking about putting it to use. I hooked it up to a power supply and turned it on earlier and it works but I have a few questions I was hoping someone knowledgeable would know the answer for before I get this rolling...
Do they still make parts? or would I need to make my own mount to hookup to a current mother board?
Also the unit runs on 134a...would that be fine on a current Intel CPU? thinking about making a gaming computer using an Intel I5....or should I get it recharged with r404a?

Thank you.

What sort of heatload is it rated for, wattage wise? That should be a good start to determining whether it's worth changing out the coolant and/or repairing parts if necessary. I don't think you'll find promethean mach 1 parts any longer, but the parts can be found to repair phase units. Under The Ice is the only one-stop-shop for phase parts I know about.

Even if it is, I wouldn't recommend running phase 24/7. It's just a huge electricity draw for not much gain, plus it adds the very real problem of condensation potentially killing some equipment. I would recommend an ambient water loop for 24/7 operation. Then, assuming the phase unit is strong enough, you could use the phase unit for benching.

Thank you for the reply and I think you are right about going the water cooling route. I also still have my old water cooling setup, an EHEIM 1048 pump, and a home made radiator from an old car heater core that I could use, the only thing I'd need is a CPU waterblock.

I think later on I'll get the prometeia rebuild with r404a as I just found a manual and for the mach 1 the manual says;
Cooling Capacity Evaporator -40 to -30ºC @ 25 - 105W,
(-25ºC at 145W) at 20ºC ambient
and it is also throwing codes 0 and 5 even though it runs and the cooling head is frosting up.

Luckly I was able to even find the manual....http://www.crazypc.com/support/nventiv/MACHI.pdf for anyone who needs it.

well since the CPUs have become less power hungry -the i5 is a docile sweet kitten compared to a P4- the load capacity should not be an issue. But you'll probably have to rig up some new mounting mechanism.

When going water, i would recommend the Koolance 380i. Yes, there are "better" perfoming blocks (but only 2 or 3), but they have terrible mounting systems; while the 380 mounting is not the best - you need a Swiftech block for best mounting system - at least its simple and works. - martins liquid labs is still one of the best reference sites.

Anyway, congrats on your (re-)find :thup: in a few years you could put it up to show the grandchildren :)

Back