• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 120mm case fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benen

Hi all :)
I'm looking to add a few fans to a silverstone tj04-e. I believe there is room for 3 extra 120mm fans on top of the two stock fans. I am looking for recommendations on something quiet and good quality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Benen

Antec just announced some very nice fans. You can see some reviews of them at legitreviews and on Youtube. I think they're called truquiet or something like that.

Cougar also makes an outstanding 120mm PWM fan. I have 11 of them in total installed in 2 systems and I love them for their performance to noise ratio. Plus they have over 500,000hr MTBF so they'll likely last until my next upgrade.

I am partial to the Gentle Typhoon series fans if cost isn't a problem. Great design, quiet, with very high quality bearings in them. But you're going to pay $20+ each for them, if you can even find them in stock. For some other good quality fans, the Thermalright TR-FDB series fans are great choices. They use the Sony FDB bearing package in them, which pretty much assures a good long life. I would go with the TR-FDB-1300 or TR-FDB-1000 fans for case fan use. And SVC (which I linked to) has them on sale for $8.49 each, which is a steal for a FDB bearing fan.

Listen to mudd... Man knows a thing or two about fans. ;)

I'd recommend you the fans I use on my case (San Ace 9SG1212P1G01), but then again; I am a crazy person and don't mind the fact that my computer room sounds like an airport at times.

Is the ap-15 the gentle typhoon 1850rpm? Theyre $20AUD which is peanuts.

It's going in the lounge so volume is really important :)

I'm getting old so I'm pretty sensitive to noise. For the volume of air, nothing beats the Gentle Typhoon.

In general any 120 cm fan with rpm above 1000 is to noisy for me. The GT 500 rpm is virtually noiseless. The 1150 rpm GT moves so much air that the noise you hear is the noise of moving air. I typically install a fan controller so that the rpm is around the 850-900 rpm range.

Another favourite nearly noiseless fan of mine is the Scythe 800 rpm with Sony's FDB.

For me I'd rather have 2 quiet 800 rpm fans than 1 noisy 1400 rpm fan. Most GOOD 800-1000 rpm fans I've encountered have been pretty quiet.

Orly?

God I love delta..

Best. Fans. Ever.

:rofl:

Are you MrDeltaFan by any chance? I've seen your comments on some of my videos. :D

It's going in the lounge so volume is really important :)

I'm getting old so I'm pretty sensitive to noise. For the volume of air, nothing beats the Gentle Typhoon.

In general any 120 cm fan with rpm above 1000 is to noisy for me. The GT 500 rpm is virtually noiseless. The 1150 rpm GT moves so much air that the noise you hear is the noise of moving air. I typically install a fan controller so that the rpm is around the 850-900 rpm range.

Another favourite nearly noiseless fan of mine is the Scythe 800 rpm with Sony's FDB.

For me I'd rather have 2 quiet 800 rpm fans than 1 noisy 1400 rpm fan. Most GOOD 800-1000 rpm fans I've encountered have been pretty quiet.

In all seriousness... Your best bet is the Gentle Typhoons or some of the Thermalright fans muddoktor recommended.

Those crazy fans were added there just for kicks. :D

the coolermaster 120 mm 4 pack is pretty solid and on sale at newegg right now for $14

they work great

What about the Noctura NF-F12 PWM fans? How do they compare to the Gentle Typhoons?

I'm also looking for a good fan controller. Any suggestions that are better than the Lamptron FC5 v2?

Cheers guys and girls :)

Benen

Last edited:
Yeah they're $10 more each over the Gentle Typhoons. Probably not worth it I guess.

Back