• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best air cooled solution for 5770 in crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That one really has my attention. This review on SPCR shows it passively handles a Radeon X1950XTX very well, which has a thermal design power (TDP) of 125W. The 5770 has a TDP of 108W according to this anandtech report.

Does TDP more closely correspond to idle heat output, load/stress heat output, or something else entirely?

The TDP is related to load if I'm not mistaken. As long as the cooler will fit your card, it should be plenty to keep your card cool.

I have an S1 V2 that has been bent into a goofy shape and essentially lost ~25% of it's cooling area(and maybe a heatpipe, heh).
It keeps my 110w TDP (before OC, and it's OCd from 575/900 to 670/1200) 4830 to ~60*c with a quiet fan on it. Very very good cooler.

I have an S1 Rev 1 that I was going to put on my 9800 GT. I bought it from a buddy of mine out of the classies, and he said the 4870 it came off of never broke 55C. I never got a chance to install it, since I have since decided to go with water cooling. I do wish I would have gotten a chance to install it, just so that I could see what it was really capable of.

I have my 5770 oc'd and over volted running at 1000clock/1375memory at 1.2v (stock is i think 850/1200 1.15?) and havent seen my temps hit more than 78c yet and my cooling in the case isnt awesome.. i dont use all the fan slots..betting i can go about 1.3v and up the clocks to 1100/1450+, but dont like overvolting that high.. its redzone territory and its a new card :p

though i cant figure out how to change shader clocks.. rivatuner wont install and the rest of hte options dont show me shaders =(

gpuz.gif

Last edited:
I have my 5770 oc'd and over volted running at 1000clock/1375memory at 1.2v (stock is i think 850/1200 1.15?) and havent seen my temps hit more than 78c yet and my cooling in the case isnt awesome.. i dont use all the fan slots..betting i can go about 1.3v and up the clocks to 1100/1450+, but dont like overvolting that high.. its redzone territory and its a new card :p

though i cant figure out how to change shader clocks.. rivatuner wont install and the rest of hte options dont show me shaders =(

Hey Psionic, since you didn't say...
  • Is it safe to assume you're using an Accelero S1 Rev1/2 based on the thread context?
  • Are you cooling passively, or with some extra assisted local circulation?
  • If not passive, do you have fans mounted to the heatsink or indirectly circulating?
I'm mostly interested to know if that really is the heatsink you're using, as I'm still trying to verify whether it's really compatible with the 5770 (as it isn't "officially").

Last edited:

I'm curious about what you used for voltage adjustment and stability/temp testing.

I'm mostly interested to know if that really is the heatsink you're using, as I'm still trying to verify whether it's really compatible with the 5770 (as it isn't "officially").

I think I've found an answer to my last question....

The Accelero S1 5770 is rightly not officially supported, but can be hacked on to the 5770. The following is from a thread @ SPCR (check it out for pictures):
I have not tried an S2 on a 5770. However today I mounted an S1 on a 5770 and then an additional S1 on a 5850.

The 5850 was easy, and the trimming to the cooler was minor. If you are willing to remove the DVI shield, you don't even have to trim the cooler.

The 5770 was a complete PITA and involved major cutting. The problem is that the GPU is much closer to the back panel on the 5770 than on the 5850. Comparing the S1 & S2, it looks like you would need to trim most of the fins between the heat-pipe and the display connectors, although this will still leave *plenty* of surface area to keep a 5770 cool. With the S1, I wound-up removing about half of the fins from the outer heat-pipe and then bending the "naked" copper pipe to clear the DVI connector. This took a lot longer than I expected, and I had to remove the DVI connector shield permanently.

In both cases the final outcome is excellent. The stock cooler on both the 5770 and 5850 is *not* silent at idle, but with the "turbo module" fans mounted (which I can't hear), the S1 keeps both cards under 67C during a Furmark run. Considering that the stock coolers scream like Banshee's under heavy load and temps still push 80C+, an after-market cooler is an excellent upgrade.
Also confirmed... the Rev 2 does not fit either without some hacking... here's a clever attempt though:
acs1revbon5750.jpg

Last edited:
Back