• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Anti-Freeze to Tint Orange?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

I'm planning on using an orange UV dye in my water cooling loop, and hence, I didn't want to pick up any anti-freeze that had a blue or green tint to it. Anybody got any recommendations on clear or slightly-oranged tinted anti-freeze? I saw some at Walmart last night when we were looking around for other stuff, but it was kinda hard to tell if the more-orange looking stuff on the packaging would actually have any color to it once mixed, and what color that would be.

On a side note, I asked this in the cases forum, but this might be a better place - anybody know where you can get orange cold cathode lights? I have looked and looked and can't find any anywhere.

I'm also looking for some 120mm quad-LED (non-UV) orange fans.

I found a few 80mm orange LED fans, but no 120mm ones (aside from one UK site that won't ship to the US). Sidewindercomputer has some nice Amber AKASA 120mm fans, but they aren't lighted. Though if I could find an orange CCFL to put behind them, that would suffice for me.

I'm looking for some fun-looking orange panels for the front 5.25" bays, too (got 5 bays to spare that need to be filled with something - U2-UFO Optimax 120.3 is en route as we speak). Stuff like this: http://svc.com/rf-5ad-bk-19.html

Or this: http://www.aerocool.com.tw/p-periph...h/gatewatch.htm (okay, it's technically "red").

So if you've got any fun, cool looking front panel devices with orange lighting/LCDs, post a link to 'em so I can check them out.

Only draw back is they use ethylene glycol as apposed to propylene glycol(low-tox). Propylene is better for your pump. Probably not by much at all but there isnt a cost difference if you don't care about color. I was looking for a propylene AF that was blue for a long time, never found it =(

Dexcool antifreeze, which is used in GM vehicles, is orangish/red, mostly orangish. Cost more than standard antifreeze but not a whole lot.

I wanted to make my pc orange a long time ago. I found out that there is no orange lights but there are some red ones that are orangeish looking.

I may check out that Dex Cool stuff, too. Is ethylene really going to make a major difference in the life of a pump over propylene?

I'd actually prefer a clear AF, since I'm going to be putting an orange UV reactive dye in it, but I figured it would probably be harder to find clear than something that already had an orange tint to it.

The VW and DexCool won't make the loop too dark to react well with the UV, will it?

Fighter2a said:
I wanted to make my pc orange a long time ago. I found out that there is no orange lights but there are some red ones that are orangeish looking.

What I don't get is that they have 80mm orange LED fans, but pretty much no 120mm ones. I've seen the four-color LED fans that clearly have orange AND red LEDS in them and you can really see the difference, but none that are just all-orange.

I'm really curious why there's no orange cold cathodes, really. Seen some orange CCFL fans, but no regular 12" cold cathode tubes in orange/

PerlAddict said:
I may check out that Dex Cool stuff, too. Is ethylene really going to make a major difference in the life of a pump over propylene?

I'd actually prefer a clear AF, since I'm going to be putting an orange UV reactive dye in it, but I figured it would probably be harder to find clear than something that already had an orange tint to it.

The VW and DexCool won't make the loop too dark to react well with the UV, will it?

ethylene probably wont make any noticable difference. As long as you dont drink it. A shot of ethylene will mess you up but it takes a tall glass of propylene to do the same ;-) Its been said on the forums a few times that it makes a difference in terms of pump life. But the only real document that I've read that backed it up said it in the context of the pump on a car and in respects to a 5-10 year life cycle.

Just a side note, I'm running Dex-cool atm, and it's green. As is the all-season Dex-cool in my nissan. Unless there is a dfferent type of Dex-cool they are all green to my knowledge.

Also, with the VW stuff, I know it comes in dark blue/purple, but again, not orange. We used to stock the stuff at the NAPA I worked at last year, and at almost $35 a gallon, it wasn't worth it to be purple lol. This is the same fluid for VW and Audi.

As for the fans and cathodes, head over to xoxide.com, they have the fans, not sure about the lights. If they don't have anything, check out svc.com.

I am using Dex-cool "extended life" and it is orange/red. I wish I had of gone with a green anti-freeze :-/

Slayer2003 said:
Just a side note, I'm running Dex-cool atm, and it's green. As is the all-season Dex-cool in my nissan. Unless there is a dfferent type of Dex-cool they are all green to my knowledge.

Also, with the VW stuff, I know it comes in dark blue/purple, but again, not orange. We used to stock the stuff at the NAPA I worked at last year, and at almost $35 a gallon, it wasn't worth it to be purple lol. This is the same fluid for VW and Audi.

As for the fans and cathodes, head over to xoxide.com, they have the fans, not sure about the lights. If they don't have anything, check out svc.com.

Thanks. Been all over the web, though, with no luck (svc, xoxide, frozencpu, jab-tech, performance-pcs, crazypc, mountainmods, sidewindercomputers, and some other random ones). Only actual orange 120mm LED fan I found was some UK site that doesn't ship to the US. And Logisys stated they don't make or plan to ever make an orange CCFL.

So I've got some pondering to do.

Any recommendations on a good, clear antifreeze (probably going to mix 90%/10% H2O/AF for my first run, so very transparent blue may work well enough, too, since it'll be mixed and then have the dye overpowering its own color).

Last edited:
have you checked into Sunbeam Lighting Products?
their 'red' ones really look orange to me because they are supposed to represent a meter or some such

edit: also do a search for amber because sometimes orange might not pull up waht you want... a lot of orange out there disguised as amber :cool:

I'd seen those Blackfire's before ... they've got built in UV Leds. And thanks! That Directron link was the one I saw before but could never find again, and I just assumed it must've been on one of those UK sites I ended up on.

I wish it had the specs listed, but I'll be watercooling anyway, so I can undervolt them way down and just use them for show.

Here's the one I really wanted, but they don't ship to the US: http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~100925~/product.htm?affiliate=2020

couple more links for ya
both places I have dealt with personally and havent had any problems

Back