• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best board(s) for a 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

So, it seems that the 8350 is holding it's own, and I'm convinced that my next system (probably tax time) will include one. What board would you guys recommend? I'm thinking I'll probably have a total of about $1700 to spend, not including peripherals. So far, this is what I have picked out:

Case.
PSU.
Memory x2.
Video x2.
SSD.
HDD.

With the processor, that all adds up to $1314.91, and I need to fit a watercooling budget in there as well (probably just a single rad with good fans and nice looking hardware, whatever the budget allows). So, I'm figuring in the ~$150 range? I realize pricing will likely change by tax time, but I want to get everything planned out now, so that I can start ordering parts as I have the cash.

I won't be back on until tomorrow morning, so take your time responding :)

The motherboard foundation and then power supply and then whatever comes next would be the better way to spec a system. And now you have yourself trapped into a motherboard that will NOT be the BEST as you state in your thread title because of backwards speccing.

I realize that this is going to be a bit out of the $150 range that you had mentioned, I honestly feel that the ASUS Crosshair 5 Formula and the Crosshair 5 Formula-Z are the absolute best boards you can buy for the FX series processors.
I've had a Phemon II 1090T, a FX 8150, and currently a FX 8350 in mine and the board has performed flawlessly.
I was able to OC the 1090T to 4.1Ghz, the FX8150 to 5Ghz, and as indicated in my sig, the 8350 to 5.1Ghz.
The speeds listed are not just boot into Windows speeds but 24/7 speeds and I think that speaks for the stability of the Board.

The motherboard foundation and then power supply and then whatever comes next would be the better way to spec a system. And now you have yourself trapped into a motherboard that will NOT be the BEST as you state in your thread title because of backwards speccing.

I don't understand, why won't it be best? I haven't actually bought anything yet, so I'm not locked into anything. That's just what I have picked out. I'm malleable to changing my picks.

The Formula - Z looks pretty nice, I wish it had 3 full x16 PCI-e slots for 3 way X-fire, in case I find that 2 isn't enough. I'm sure it will be more than plenty though.

The $150 limit was more like a guideline. I really just want to make sure I have enough money for cooling.

Another question: What would you guys pick out for an 8350 build with dual graphics and water cooling on a $1700 budget?

The Formula - Z looks pretty nice, I wish it had 3 full x16 PCI-e slots for 3 way X-fire, in case I find that 2 isn't enough.

Most of the 990FX boards are 2 x16 with dual video cards. Or x16, x8 and x8. Be careful though I saw a couple with x16, x16 and then drops off to x16, x16 and x4. That one I would not like.

The chipset arrangement of lanes is such that 3 x16 is a no-go.

Why the 1050 watt psu and dual 7850's? If you are going dual gpu I still feel 1050 is way overkill. Why not a single 7970 for about the same price?

Back