• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Brand/chip model for OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alegelos

Iam thinking to spend 150-200 usd in a good mother.

Whats a good brand for OCing?

790, 890 or wait for next model?

thanks

Ehh... there is much to upgrade to really... just ahex core from AMD and either a 790 board that supports it, or 890.

I would check the manufacturers website to see if you only need a bios flash to support a hex. If so, you only should upgrade to a hex core.

Iam thinking to spend 150-200 usd in a good mother.

Whats a good brand for OCing?

790, 890 or wait for next model?

thanks
The FX series chipsets are the best for overclocking. The 790FX is older but less expensive, the 890FX is newer and usually has more features. The 890FX will also handle an X6 better if you plan to upgrade the CPU in the future. Here are a few choices ... :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441

I would check the manufacturers website to see if you only need a bios flash to support a hex. If so, you only should upgrade to a hex core.
Uh, I think he's talking about the motherboard, since he mentioned that in both posts, not the CPU ... ;)

Sorry man, I just read the title.. Best Brand/CHIP model for overclocking. CHIPSET was the word he was looking for I believe. ;)

I read and saw 'mother' but wondered why anyone would upgrade from a 790GX if it already supports a hex (like my second post basically said).

My bad though, I apparently missed it.

Sorry man, I just read the title.. Best Brand/CHIP model for overclocking. CHIPSET was the word he was looking for I believe. ;)

I read and saw 'mother' but wondered why anyone would upgrade from a 790GX if it already supports a hex (like my second post basically said).

My bad though, I apparently missed it.
The 790GX isn't the best chipset out there but it's not bad, either. As mentioned above the FX series is the best and below that, if you can find them, is the X series - both better OC'ers than the GX (= with IGP) chipsets ... ;)

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder why people in AMD threads I participate in suggest the 790g/fx chipsets with a hex then. I thought he was OK with that mobo... glad you swung by to save the day!

The 790GX isn't the best chipset out there at all. As mentioned above the FX series is the best and below that, if you can find them, is the X series - both better OC'ers than the GX (= with IGP) chipsets ... ;)

What are the relevant differences between GX and FX, other than IGP?

Hmm, I wonder why people in AMD threads I participate in suggest the 790g/fx chipsets with a hex then. I thought he was OK with that mobo... glad you swung by to save the day!
Don't know why anyone would suggest a GX chipset for OC'ing unless the IGP was requested or they were looking for budget boards, though many GXs aren't budget. :shrug:

Edit
What are the relevant differences between GX and FX, other than IGP?
The FX boards typically have higher quality parts, which shows itself in better power delivery, and can clock higher if the HTRef is being used. Never seen a GX board that could run over ~260 MHz, and most can't go that high, while most (not all) FX boards will run 300 MHz or more. Beyond component quality I suspect the difference is because FX boards have more than 2 PCIe X16 slots so the minimum power requirements for the board are higher. Since most people don't use more than two slots that's just gravy. ;)

The 'X' chipsets are very similar to the FX but with slightly cheaper parts. A good GX board is as good as an X but usually cost a little more ...

Last edited:
If on a budget, it seems as tho the GX based boards may not be so bad... Sno seemed fairly happy with the MSI 890GXM-G65, albeit voltage options were limited (coming in bios update according to msi) and core unlocking is not supported:
http://www.overclockers.com/msi-890gxmg65-review/

He hit 3.7Ghz on that. :shrug:

Also experienced good results with the MSI 760GM-E51:
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-core-unlocking-msi-easier/

He hit 3.6Ghz on that one. Both boards he really liked the bios also... For daily drivers I'm not sure it makes a difference which chipset suits your fancy... But if you want to have the option of running something extreme, it is the 890FX chipsets I've seen the best results from.

Instead of a hex core just light your next paycheck on fire and move on. Why people insist on buying a hex core when most apps dont even support quad cores is beyond me.

If on a budget, it seems as tho the GX based boards may not be so bad... Sno seemed fairly happy with the MSI 890GXM-G65, albeit voltage options were limited (coming in bios update according to msi) and core unlocking is not supported:
http://www.overclockers.com/msi-890gxmg65-review/

He hit 3.7Ghz on that. :shrug:

Also experienced good results with the MSI 760GM-E51:
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-core-unlocking-msi-easier/

He hit 3.6Ghz on that one. Both boards he really liked the bios also... For daily drivers I'm not sure it makes a difference which chipset suits your fancy... But if you want to have the option of running something extreme, it is the 890FX chipsets I've seen the best results from.
((We keep cross-posting - I edited my previous post but you slipped in between, again!)) I guess my wording was bad. :( (edited previous post)

I didn't mean to imply the GX chipset was bad - but it's not the best. Like I posted above the good GX boards are as good as the X series, which is only a step down from the FX. In reference to the reviews you'll notice both of the GX reviews used X2 CPUs? I've seen the same 550's run very close to 4.0 GHz on FX boards. If you take a look at the FX review it uses an X6 and it clocked higher - much higher. That isn't all CPU.

Another factor in this thread was the price range quoted by the OP, $150-200. For AMD boards that's all the high-end boards with only two exceptions - and those two boards are overkill for people not using extreme cooling ...

Last edited:
Just to muddy the waters, my dad's asus m4a78t-e (790gx) boots at 330htref on air.

But yes, the FX boards typically use better quality parts and have more power phases.

So I guess the most apprpriate question to ask the OP is what does he need to do that his current motherboard isnt doing?

Also, the board he listed is different from the one in the signature...

It could have been more stable, i'll admit. That was a PhII 810.

The m4a78e-m is a 780g chipset, mom's box has one of those in it. They work, but i wouldn't expect any huge OCs out of it.

Yep, on the 790FX you only need to flash your Bios to be hex compatible

FYI, if your going to flash a MSI board, I suggest you check out the MSI forums flash tool.

Instead of a hex core just light your next paycheck on fire and move on. Why people insist on buying a hex core when most apps dont even support quad cores is beyond me.

I already order the 1055t so nothing to do about it. Also i read that the 6core suport DDR3 at 2000mhz or more. And also my old 945 was C2. This 1055t will be C3 :).

Just to muddy the waters, my dad's asus m4a78t-e (790gx) boots at 330htref on air.

So I guess the most appropriate question to ask the OP is what does he need to do that his current motherboard isnt doing?

Also, the board he listed is different from the one in the signature...

And thats exactly what i wanted to know!! With my old 945 i couldn't pass the Bios bus over the 265mhz. At 266-270 = unstable. I was wondering if it was the CPU or just the mother who was limiting me. But if yours could do 330mhz bus stable...
Also i read that this mother have a Bus FSB hole o_O between 255mhz and 270mhz. Maybe i was just in that "hole" :screwy:
What i want from this Asus m4a78t-e is 2 things:
1- I will OC my 1055t to 4.0ghz (no Black Edition CPU), so i need the mother to support bus at 285mhz at least (285x14 = 3990).
2- I also need the mother to support DDR3 memory running at 2000mhz. With the 945 i could only raise it to 1700mhz. (Mushkin DDR3 - PC2000 CL7)
I know the new chip 870 or 890 does both things. But nor sure if this will.
My new 1055t will arrive in 1-2 weaks, so if u say me that it wont work with those 2 thing, i will order a 870 or 890 (not sure witch)(asus or gigabyte i read they r the best).
Iam not planing to do Crossfire. Just maybe, but not for now.

Last edited:
Back