• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Brand/chip model for OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was stable at 300, 330 it'd get into windows, but prime95 crashed.

Yep, on the 790FX you only need to flash your Bios to be hex compatible

FYI, if your going to flash a MSI board, I suggest you check out the MSI forums flash tool.
Does this vary by board maker and not just all 790FX chipsets?

It was stable at 300, 330 it'd get into windows, but prime95 crashed.

Ok then mine should be also stable with bus at 300mhz. :fight:
I may just have to worry if it can handle a DDR3 at 2000mhz speed (sure 1700mhz tested).

And also i guess there wont be any difference running RAM at 1700mhz vs 2000mhz =/ that means a board upgrade...

Last edited:
Ok then mine should also be stable with bus at 300mhz :fight:
I may just have to worry if it can handle a DDR3-2000 speed (sure 1700mhz).

And also guess there wont be any difference running RAM at 1700mhz vs 2000mhz =/ that means a mother upgrade...
Everytime I see mother without board, I snicker a little. Good times.

Anyway, to answer your first statement, No. Just b/c one board (mother :santa:) does 300 HTT doesnt mean another of the same type will.

I wouldnt worry about running 2k memory speeds either unless you are a benchmarking type of person...which it doesnt appear so....yet :). I certainly wouldnt upgrade a mother(board :santa:) to attempt to run those speeds either. There are only specific real world instances where running the memory at those speeds improves anything.

If you already have a motherboard that you think might work you can test it with your Phenom II 945. Just lower the CPU mutliplier down to 12X and start raising the clock (bus) speed to see how high it will go ...

Sold :santa:

My higher test was 270, and it wasnt stable. Just maybe i was on that magic FSB Hole 250-270 (stupid hole). Never try any higher than 270mhz :(.

PD: using laptop :rolleyes:

Or it may have been the CPU not wanting to overclock higher - who knows?

That's why I suggested turning the CPU multiplier down. You should also watch your RAM, cpuNB, and HT Link speeds. Don't try to overclock them, either ... ;)

the only 2 thing i didnt try, was raising the nb volt and lowering the cpu multiplier.

Lowering the CPU multiplier won't make a better overclock. I just suggested that so you can test if the motherboard can deliver the higher clock speeds ... ;)

Back