• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best budget Cooler for 5820K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koix

Registered
So I'm bit newbie'sh at building computers and I'm seeking advise in choosing a CPU cooler.

My build:
MB: X99S
GPU: r390x
PSU: evga 750w g2
Ram: 4x4 gb (there's 8 slots in the mb)
case: Refine r5
cpu: i7 5820K

So basically my main concern is heat. I will be using the pc for gaming and I don't really fancy destroying the CPU anytime soon. My friend have recommend me a Hyper 212 evo (with an extra fan to pull heat from the radiator).

I originally had a Hyper 612 V2 in mind, but reading this(coolermaster.com) makes me think the cooler isn't even able to fit the chipset/socket?

I'm not really planning on overclocking the CPU (in the start at least) since I think the 3.6 ghz fits my needs more or less good enough but I wouldn't mind a CPU Cooler, that I can use in a future build.

Thanks in advance.
Koix

Build a custom water loop for superior temps while overclocking. Will likely fit future builds and will be modifiable in the future as well such as add and remove fans, water-block reservoir ect.

Noctua makes a pretty stout air cooler on the other hand if looking to stick this route.

Also the Corsair H100i GTX is a pretty good cooler. I though it was bad compare to what others said but man this thing is pretty quite and has about the same temps are my Noctua NH-D15 cooler. Best Buy has them right now for $109 and is why I picked one up to test and see.

If you go the route of an AIO, the H110i GTX is pretty sweet too...it sports a larger 280 mm radiator versus it's younger sibling's 240 mm.

Why do you think corsair is bad? they have a 5 year warranty to replace your stuff which is nice and compare to others their sales are way high which is a good reason why you see more rare accidents happen. I am not a big fan of AIO but I am trying to give it a shot I just don't see the logic behind telling someone to avoid a company that is so successful. Every company has that chance of failure regardless is what they do next that matters. Am I right or wrong?

As I said... the horror stories. Pump failures, pump noises, things not working right, etc. It appears to be a lot more frequent than most others. There are also better performing devices at the same pricepoint (like some of those mentioned above Nepton/Seidon).

Big companies can make bad products. ;)

Ultimately I think this is a discussion for a different thread as recommending a $100 AIO is hardly what I would consider a "budget" cooler. I think the general dissatisfication with the Corsair coolers is that the fans that are bundled are louder than many of the other options available in the market. The benefit to the Swiftech and EKWB (although they are pricier) is the quieter operation and expandability. The Coolermaster Nepton/Glacer line I believe is the same as the Swiftech line without the expandability (would have to check that again as I haven't read up on AIOs for a few months)

Yea true I mean I just wanted to make sure the OP had options for Budget coolers. I consider $100 below budget even though is 109 is pretty close to a budget cooler. To me that is, while others are more exotic options going up in price. I wish I can have a Predator 360, but I can't afford it. XD I still have my Noctua NH-D15 for that reason to fall back into.

However; I do want to provide the OP some info on what I have discover on the H100i GTX. The Corsair Link can be buggy if not installed as Administrator I have notice and During intest testing, there is a fan buzzing sound that you will hear and some people may not like that. However if the system is set to quite or balance it seems to be pretty darn quite, but you will notice the buzzing sound if set to Performance mode. Not sure if is the fans or the pump that you hear. Just wanted to share that with you.

I’ll try and list all replies in one go:

Build a custom water loop for superior temps while overclocking. Will likely fit future builds and will be modifiable in the future as well such as add and remove fans, water-block reservoir ect.

I find water cooling quite interesting but not confident. Hell I hardly find myself confident in applying the thermal paste to the cpu. Liquid cooling is quite expensive (I know the benefits compared to air) but I don't think liquid is my style.

What type of budget are you looking at? If you want something a little better that will give you some head room to overclock then it really is gonna depend on your budget

My first choose was a Hyper 612 v2, but when I found out it didn’t fit the MB (X99S SLI Plus), so roughly around 50-70 dollars. I wouldn’t be picky but I wouldn’t just go and buy a 400 dollar cooler because “it’s the best right now” - a fair balance between price and ability to cool, if that makes sense.

H110i GTX
I think it's bit too high a price range for me :(

I’ll try and list all replies in one go:

I find water cooling quite interesting but not confident. Hell I hardly find myself confident in applying the thermal paste to the cpu. Liquid cooling is quite expensive (I know the benefits compared to air) but I don't think liquid is my style.

My first choose was a Hyper 612 v2, but when I found out it didn’t fit the MB (X99S SLI Plus), so roughly around 50-70 dollars. I wouldn’t be picky but I wouldn’t just go and buy a 400 dollar cooler because “it’s the best right now” - a fair balance between price and ability to cool, if that makes sense.

I think it's bit too high a price range for me :(

My Advice would be get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $30.00 or Reeven Okeanos RC-1402 $54.00 I would personally start with any of those. There are more coolers but those were my favorite so far in the low end. Higher end I like the Noctual NH-D15, R1 Ultimate, and the Phanteks TC14PE.

Good luck let us know which route you took. =)

Just wanted to let anyone know, that I decided on a EVO hyper 212 with an extra fan attached to the radiator.

Thanks for all the inputs and happy x-mas.

I know this is too late now but it seems the v2 hyper 612 came with the LGA2011 brackets

Back