• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy... Lost our business...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I went to go get a 40" Samsung from BB 18months+ ago it was $900 if not mistaken or really close to that. Now employee discount is 5% (unless that has changed over the years) over what BB buys the item at, which at the time matched a lot of sites I was seeing was around $750.

Now if the 46" you where looking at is in the same ball park they would of lost over $150+ on the TV, over 15% hit negative on it (taking out the store markup on employees from the figure).

Im not saying what they did was right or wrong just stating a fact.

Ok, so Ill state again.

Best Buy said they WOULD price match it, but they will lose money. They called and verified the price and stock and said its not an issue of policy but an issue w/ the actual price to match.

In other words, they werent going to make (because AGAIN, they told me that they would not make ENOUGH). Im to the point where this thread is entertaining and Im no longer upset, but it is amusing to see everyone try and say BB was in the right.

I mean, I see the point of why would they price match if there isnt anything to gain.... Well they just lost in this case (which isnt a big deal, because I dont spend enough, theres plenty of other customers to lose soon enough).

I'm sorry. You are right, the other 10 or so of us, including Best Buy, are wrong.

Don't apologize,The only one that was there was him and we don't know bb side of the story ..Like i said before If he think he has a case to argue then he should file a case with the BBB and see what they tell because they would be one of the few that will be able to tell what will hold up in court and what won't and if he has a case or not ..Its his opinion and he has the right to think what ever he wants just like everyone else.. Just because people agree on something does not mean that they are RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Just because people agree on something does not mean that they are RIGHT!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I have to say this again but apparently it's not getting through.

Read Best Buy's price match policy. It clearly says the price to be matched has to be advertised. This was not. It didn't qualify. It's a black and white situation, not a matter of opinion.

Don't apologize,The only one that was there was him and we don't know bb side of the story ..Like i said before If he think he has a case to argue then he should file a case with the BBB and see what they tell because they would be one of the few that will be able to tell what will hold up in court and what won't and if he has a case or not ..Its his opinion and he has the right to think what ever he wants just like everyone else.. Just because people agree on something does not mean that they are RIGHT!!!!!!!!

I was being pretty sarcastic actually.

I take complaints in this forum pretty seriously and, to some extent, base my purchases off of posts here. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that either. Who wants to buy from a company that was terrible during the RMA process, denied a warranty, or didn't do a price match for someone else?

But, in this case, I don't think BB did anything wrong. And I think it is important to make that distinction. If everyone can come in here and bash retailers without a legit claim this forum loses its value to me.

And don't think I love BB either, I'm actually not a huge fan of the store at all. Almost everything in there can be found cheaper at a Walmart, Microcenter, or Newegg...so I go to those places instead.

I read thru all this..... and i have to say...... boo hoo. Companies MAKE policy, and pretty much reserve the right to BREAK policy in instances like this one. But this is a typical example of today's consumer. People dont give a rats arse how much a store loses, so long as they get what they FEEL they deserve. We have this problem nowadays, because stores have tried for years to "make the customer happy" at all resonable costs.

To the OP, no matter what the store employee's said, or what you think they said, they arent paying under $580 for that tv.

They should add some extra wording to their policy, period. They lied. I'm not taking sides, I think it's ridiculous to sell the TV for that little money...I'll concede that point, however, a written policy is a written policy. If BB wishes to have any credibility they should stand by it.

Here is my issue.

They use that policy as an advertisement to get people (suckers in my opinion, BB blows) into the store....right or wrong, smart or dumb, profit or loss, they should stand by their advertisement or retract it altogether. It's right on the edge of false advertisement.

They should add some extra wording to their policy, period. They lied. I'm not taking sides, I think it's ridiculous to sell the TV for that little money...I'll concede that point, however, a written policy is a written policy. If BB wishes to have any credibility they should stand by it.

Here is my issue.

They use that policy as an advertisement to get people (suckers in my opinion, BB blows) into the store....right or wrong, smart or dumb, profit or loss, they should stand by their advertisement or retract it altogether. It's right on the edge of false advertisement.

They didn't break their policy. Seriously.

Best Buy said:
Best Buy Retail Store Price Match Guarantee
If you find a lower advertised price on the same available brand and model prior to your purchase or during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. Simply bring in the ad of the local retail competitor or Best Buy, while the lower price is in effect and receive your price match.

The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

•Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers.
•Items that are limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, Outlet Center, refurbished/used items and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Get it?

They didn't break their policy. Seriously.

I guess I'm not seeing it...it sounds like that exactly what they did. (And for the record...I'm not on their side, thats a stupid price for a TV, if I was the store I'd tell him to go pound sand.)

I guess I'm not seeing it...it sounds like that exactly what they did. (And for the record...I'm not on their side, thats a stupid price for a TV, if I was the store I'd tell him to go pound sand.)

The TV the OP wanted to buy was not advertised at that price. That disqualified it from the price match policy.

I'll concede that thee tv may not have been advertised in a way that qualifies it for the price match. But seriously people Best Buy is using a policy to draw attention and people to its stores and if they can decide at any time to break that policy then how are they not screwing over consumers? The tv may not qualify but the managers response does merit a complaint.

Ahhhh, I thought he said it was. I stand corrected.

The OP said it was but in actuality it was not. The 'advertised price' was a generic price for an un-named TV. BB was well within their right to refuse the price match regardless of the reasons they used or the reason's the op said they used, they were not under any obligation to price match a TV of theirs to a generic ad from Fry's.

On a related note I just plain never buy big money items from BB, I only go there for their DVD/blu ray selection and prices. Costco TVs ftw!

And we also have a microcenter local, do wish I had a fry's as well though.

I'm sorry, maybe I don't get it. However if Fry's has the TV you want for a lower price, and is local AND Best Buy won't match the price. why not just go to Fry's and buy it? Or if you were already there and got the "quote" why not just buy it there in the first place?

I'm sorry, maybe I don't get it. However if Fry's has the TV you want for a lower price, and is local AND Best Buy won't match the price. why not just go to Fry's and buy it? Or if you were already there and got the "quote" why not just buy it there in the first place?

Because in this case he wanted to use his BB rewards card.

Its ok, I bought it at Fry's guys. Again, I wanted to use my rewards card (thats what they are for right??) and BB is right by me while Fry's is across town. Why drive over there, stand in long lines when I should be able to get the same thing?

Its ok though, I see everyones POV and everyone has a right to their opinion. Pointless to argue it as everyone has a different view on it. I understand the store is in business to make money, but dont tell me you wont sell it to me because you wont make enough money on it lol.

And again, they had no issue price matching. I think everyone is missing that. They said they CAN price match it, they even called the store to verify it was instock and the manager said it wasnt against policy to pricematch but they wouldnt make ENOUGH to justify selling it.

Everyone is so hung up that it wasnt to their policy when theyve honored it w/ fry's generic ad's before :/

Everyone is so hung up that it wasnt to their policy when theyve honored it w/ fry's generic ad's before :/

Sure, they could have made an exception, but they didn't want to lose money by ignoring their own policy. I don't see how that entitles you to rant about it and say they've lost a customer.

Im actually entitled to rant about anything I want. Whether its a legitimate rant is another thing....

It was an advertised local price in a local paper. It did not specify which TV, but it WAS an ad w/ an instock price. You can try and go one way or another with it. BB isnt specific in their policy to EXCLUDE that nor does it include. Its what people refer to as the "gray" area, not everything is black & white. They chose not to honor a LEGITIMATE local advertised price and Im choosing to shop elsewhere. Nothing more. Youve ranted plenty of times about garbage :/

Back