• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy Ripoff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like somebody has come up with a little scam. Buy some great equipment, swap it for crappy equipment, re-seal it with a machine and take it back to the store. They won't check it as it still looks like a factory seal has not been broken, which infact it is the same machine that they are using in Taiwan. Even if they did break the seal, it has a G-card in it, which will be good enough for BB.

Won't be 2 long before BB catch on to this one, I am checking the boxes before I leave the store from now on. :(

Man, by the time this is all worked out, even through a small claims court, your $325 card will only be worth $100 with the way our courts work. I would try calling your local news station and see if they could do something lol. My aunt did that one time when the hardware store here wouldnt honor thier price match guarantee. Its worth a shot. Call a lawyer and see if maybe he couldnt write a letter to best buy on your behalf, that might help.

hey, this almost happened to me at Circuit City with an $800 digital camera. i bought one and took it back to exchange it because it kept telling the card cover was open when it really wasnt. the replacement they handed me had everything else in it but the camera.

Luckily i noticed that the warranty card which shows the serial number through the top of the box was shifted and out of place, my first thought was that someone had returned it and i didnt want an $800 camera that someone had monkied with, so i opened the box right there in front of the guy that handed to me. needless to say they were stunned, and i was lucky.

The saga is almost over. Since BB takes all pre-orders over their online site, I needed to preorder my 9800 Pro from bestbuy.com, which means my gift-card credit won't apply to the purchase. This means once I get the card, I need to take it back to the store for a refund/re-purchase and apply my gift card to my CC.

It's quite a mess, but the end is in sight, and boy does it look pretty! can't wait for that card ;)

Dunno why so many ppl are so shocked... this happens all the time.... only in the stores near me they reshrinkwrap stuff WITHOUT putting anything back in... :rolleyes:

Anyway take care fatguy... I'd hate it if I had to go through that when I purchased my 9700 pro...

And to top it they were #@%@ too about it.... Lesson learned... GuessBuy just fell another notch in my rankings........

I Hate Best Buy..!

Oh..! Man another Best Buy strike..!

I really hate Best Buy... I already had 2 different issues with their products and they really don't treat you as a customer... I can see Best Buy going down to the toilet soon..!

My last issue just happened last night. I have seen the Radeon 9700 Pro for $299 all these days... so I decided to go and buy it but when I went to pay it they were charging me $399 instead. So I called the manager and they treated me like I was crazy. They started telling me that they have never sold a that card for less than $300. I was so ****ed and then told them to check the BB WEB site and to my super bad luck the special sale was gone.. yeah gone.. back to $399. I went ballistic and said "How in the F#@@..! world you guys are taking R9800 Pro preorders for $399 and you are selling me a 9700 P for the same price?" jeesh I was so ****ed so I ended up pre-ordering the 9800 Pro directly from ATI.

Best Buy you can kiss my arse..!

cV said:
Dunno why so many ppl are so shocked... this happens all the time.... only in the stores near me they reshrinkwrap stuff WITHOUT putting anything back in... :rolleyes:

Anyway take care fatguy... I'd hate it if I had to go through that when I purchased my 9700 pro...

And to top it they were #@%@ too about it.... Lesson learned... GuessBuy just fell another notch in my rankings........

Just a little lesson for everyone to learn. A little prudence would lead everyone to check what they intend on buying first. First open the package and inspect what you are getting! I do it all the time, even though once in awhile I forget or get in too big a hurry. I don't really care if the clerks, salespeople or whoever sees me either! If they say anything about me opening a sealed package, I just tell them if it checks out ok, what's inside, then I'm buying it! That does the trick every time and they leave me alone.

At Staples recently I wanted to look at the specific label on a Hard drive. A salesperson had already offered to help me, and I told him I wanted to open a HD sealed package. He balked and got the manager. I told the manager if the HD had the label I was looking for I would buy it. No Problem, the manager opened the package, it had the wrong label, I said thanks anyway for your time and went my merry way.

So you gotta learn to be thorough.

Sadly all the above problem related posts can be partially blamed on the buyer as well as the stores.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Yah they do reshrink them I bought 3 graphics cards from BB today. All shrinked. Only ONE had the card fresh sealed. The others had it in a taped up (scotch tape) antistatic bag. The two opened ones were 4x agp.The sealed one was 8x agp.

Edit: Correction... All three were taped shut. The 8x was a much cleaner job though so I didnt notice until I looked real close.

I am glad to hear that this all was resolved via honest and legitimate means.

I will definitely be opening expensive stuff (like, more than $20, lol) in front of store clerks in the future. I typically buy most of my stuff online though.

On a side note, did your story ever air on the news?

This is from the site... You're not the only one.

To: REMOVED
Subject: Anti-BB Customer Complaints
Date sent: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:28:41 -0800
12-20-02
I purchased a monitor yesterday from best buy. It was suppose to be a MAG 17" panel monitor. I open the box tonight and in the box is a viewsonic screen only with the cable cut. I try and return it for what I thought I purchased. I talked to manager Dave (santa rosa store). He told me it was not what came in the box so I must of changed it. I ask him "are you accusing me of stealing it" he says how do I know you didn't. SO now I am out 400 bucks for the monitor because they believe I stole it. Well not really out the money thank goodness it was purchased with a credit card.

I was SO embarassed all sorts of people were standing around watching :(

SOOOOOO you better check everything you purchase at Best Buy because someone could change whats in it and you won't beable to return it.

12-21-02
I went this morning and talked to his boss and recieved a monitor with an apology I asked for one from Dave and he refused. I am still livid.

:rolleyes:

Overclocker456 said:
This is from the site... You're not the only one.

To: REMOVED
Subject: Anti-BB Customer Complaints
Date sent: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:28:41 -0800
12-20-02
I purchased a monitor yesterday from best buy. It was suppose to be a MAG 17" panel monitor. I open the box tonight and in the box is a viewsonic screen only with the cable cut. I try and return it for what I thought I purchased. I talked to manager Dave (santa rosa store). He told me it was not what came in the box so I must of changed it. I ask him "are you accusing me of stealing it" he says how do I know you didn't. SO now I am out 400 bucks for the monitor because they believe I stole it. Well not really out the money thank goodness it was purchased with a credit card.

I was SO embarassed all sorts of people were standing around watching :(

SOOOOOO you better check everything you purchase at Best Buy because someone could change whats in it and you won't beable to return it.

12-21-02
I went this morning and talked to his boss and recieved a monitor with an apology I asked for one from Dave and he refused. I am still livid.

:rolleyes:

Wow thats messed up. Sounds like that guy had an easyer time then Fatguy did. But when they come right out an say you did something like that there setting them selfs up for a Slander lawsuit. And with the added embarassment of doing it in front of a bunch of other customers.

yeah that sucks.

I'm still considering a lawsuit. My cell-phone bill this month is 200 bucks for all the calling I had to do to both ATI and Best Buy corporate. I have free long distance, but the minutes still cost me. what a fiasco.

just get a friend of yours to return the card saying that it didnt work right, or say it didnt work right and u want an exchange, the peeps at the desks are reatrded, they wouldnt know the difference between a tnt and a radeon 9800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back