• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sold me a 21.3” LCD monitor that contained only a BRICK taped to WOOD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also see if they sold it to some one else and they returned it best buy I think would have records of that

^^ exactly as the LCD would have a specific serial number on it that should be registered in their system @ point of sale and when inventory is done. :)

They do this so you dont buy and LCD - run home and change it with a bad one and then return that.

if they refure to look - police and lawyers.

That is sad. He should get a lawyer and stuff to get the monitor he paid for. $1400 is a large amount of money.

Kinda glad that I always check the box almost right away before driving away. Also last moniter I bought was an open box so the guy actually opened the box back up and made sure everything was intact. I also opted for a 4 year replacement in store. Must have just been a bad store because so far I have never really had a bad experience. Probably the most problems I had from them were from buying hardware that was defective repeatidely forcing me to make almost daily trips for a couple days to exchange items. Also always get the service plan as its always a good idea. I have had about 6 pairs of headphones replaced for free because of the 2 year warrenty I got saving me alot of money in the end.

daba said:
So, did this issue ever get resolved?
You know as much as I do and I have not heard anything else. My guess is, no it has not and Marcos is still out the money. You can of course email him and ask him. Direct him to this thread as well if you wish ;)

Ya know what ever happened to the law that you can't sell an opened item as new? Or does that only apply to some things?

I remember seeing on an old old episode of The Screen Savers talking about refurbs... and they were saying that when you buy a refurb part it's usually just been opened and returned and they have to sell it as opened/refurb... but sometimes you get something that was actually broken they just fixed it and now it's *real* refurb.

I work in retail, although not at Best Buy. I've seen customer's return boxes that contained bricks, etc when opened, but not items sold off the store shelves like that. I'm not doubting that it happened. It could have happened anywhere down the line from the manufacturer to the shipper, to the store employees, to the customer.
Moral of the story- always, always open the box and inspect any big ticket items at the store, before you pay. Not only to make sure it's what it's supposed to be, but for hidden damage and missing parts.

i used to work in retail when i was younger and i'll tell you one thing...these big companies like bb, cc, staples, etc. have a lot of in house theft. most likely it was an employee who stole the monitor and replaced it with a brick taped to wood. i used to see these kind of things all the time when i worked for one of the major retailers. for example, many employees used to replace dvd burners with regular old cd drives and stuff like that. hope your friend gets this issue resolved.

I one time bought a game in Circuit city it was metroid prime for Gamcube, I open it on christmass morning and it was a cut up AOL cd, Circuit city took ti abck no problem, If they ddidnt I would of just wnet and got another compy and walked out of the store

Lawyer/Sue, The guy will win hands down and get more money out of it in the end too. I'm shocked he walked it off though at Best Buy, I would of flipped out :temper: if I was in his position........Probably a wise move though to just blow it off and get a Lawyer though. Chances are it wasn't a customer that did that, ALTHOUGH it could of slipped through. To the others that have seen this kind of crap happen, it was a daily thing when I work at CC :rolleyes:!

Wasn't so much with computer stuff, but Car Audio, Games, DVD's, CD's etc mostly because the location was in a (ghetto) area. Something as major like this though should never slip through which points to foul play, funny how the employee's there acted confused/pointed the figure.......Anyone who has worked retail has seen this before or something very similar at Electronic stores. Was this woman retarded claiming it weighed less when she rung it up LOL!? What kind of BS excuse is that, typical idiot retail people though.

just to put some mythes to rest since I work at a best buy, and do check all returns

1) we dont' scan serial numbers, we scan bar codes, which are unique to that TYPE of item, not that exact item, aka all 9800pros, not the one you particularly bought

2) if you have an issue, and are a loyal customer to that store, bring it up. by all means it will help you in the end. aka, someone said they bought the service plan everytime. if he goes in and is explains the situation, as opposed to the guy who buys a DVD once a month, he's more likely to get a favorable resolution. just so you guys know.

Scotch said:
I one time bought a game in Circuit city it was metroid prime for Gamcube, I open it on christmass morning and it was a cut up AOL cd, Circuit city took ti abck no problem, If they ddidnt I would of just wnet and got another compy and walked out of the store

Im more than with you on that one.

MLMIB said:
just to put some mythes to rest since I work at a best buy, and do check all returns

1) we dont' scan serial numbers, we scan bar codes, which are unique to that TYPE of item, not that exact item, aka all 9800pros, not the one you particularly bought

2) if you have an issue, and are a loyal customer to that store, bring it up. by all means it will help you in the end. aka, someone said they bought the service plan everytime. if he goes in and is explains the situation, as opposed to the guy who buys a DVD once a month, he's more likely to get a favorable resolution. just so you guys know.

exactly. at our store ( i work at best buy too :D) being a loyal customer always helps. Many times people come in "i spend alot here and im gonna spend $5000 today can i get a discount" and usually our GM will help em out a lil. Our customer service checks for the sticker that shows if its been open or not. If it hasnt then it goes back on the shelf as new, if the sticker is missing, open item.

Aren't all bestbuy's next to edwards cinemas? atleast the one I live by is, fairfield though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back