• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sold me a 21.3” LCD monitor that contained only a BRICK taped to WOOD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as other people have said. on any and all expenses over $100 i go to the counter, show the guy my recipte and open the package RIGHT THERE. so if it isn't there, i dont have to go through all this.

i would 1. call credit card company 2. take the story, pictures and any other items of importance to the local police and 3. not shop at best buy anymore.

bored-sarcasm said:
i would 1. call credit card company 2. take the story, pictures and any other items of importance to the local police and 3. not shop at best buy anymore.

It could happen at any store, but bestbuy doesn't like it's customers :rolleyes:
I went into a bestbuy once to buy some cds, I had my cd player in my sweatshirt and they thought I stole it :eh?:

I've had very good experiences with rerturns at best buy. I bought a home theater system one time and the box looked ruffed up so I made them open it before I bought it. Took it home; one of the speakers didn't work; went back got another one; took it home. After a week decided I didn't like it and I wanted the next best model. Took it back told them I simply wasn't satisfied but there was nothing wrong with it. I not once had them even question me.

went into a bestbuy once to buy some cds, I had my cd player in my sweatshirt and they thought I stole it

You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff people coming in strictly to steal would do, but as long as they weren't rude about it then you shouldn't take offense. Every store your going to have a different experience normally.

Anyway back on track, any updates on this story at all? Seems like the longer this guy takes the harder it is going to be. I'd be all over this in a second if it happened to me

just one odd thing i saw in this. i have no hard time believing this story at all,and it doesnt suprise me one bit. thats sad to say but true.

but the rep he talked to "Leanda" i have only heard that name once before in my life,and i dated her lol.
last i heard she was in Texas so im gonna bet thats where bestbuy has a corperate office.
im gonna go check as im bored but was just an odd thing that i ran across.

"edit" i was wrong MN is where bestbuy corperate is. must be someone else running around named that also.just unusual name.

I've only had this happen with a dvd. I called up best buy immediately after opening the item to find no dvd and they let me bring it in to exchange for the same movie. If someone reshinkwraped it they must have been a store employee because it had all of the stickers on it. Sucks about the guys monitor. A good warning for the rest of us though.

WOW, screw them, tell him to go back and raise hell!!!!!! i wont leave until i get my money/monitor! those punks, this just pisses me off just reading this. wow I would shove this in their faces. then I would sue them!!! ARGH, this is why i hate best buy, they are soooo messed up with their return policy, very horrible.

of all the things, you have to look at the store side too, the reaction is wrong on their part, but if they do take it back and replace it, where does that money gonna go? some one has to pay for it, and for the most part they are just trying to keep their job. and to be honest, if one of the employee did it, it's extremely hard for them to catch that person. So i would go to the police for this. A law suit would cost alot and there's no guarantee that he's gonna win, bad luck though, this will teach us all a lesson, i'm about to buy a monitor too :)

warlock110 said:
this will teach us all a lesson, i'm about to buy a monitor too :)

If you buy it at a brick and mortar store I hope the lesson learned is that you should open the box before you leave the store ;)

PS I agree, his first stop on discovering this would have been a bee-line to the nearest police dept. as this is grand theft and consumer fraud.

i recently went to bestbuy and circuit city looking for a 9800 pro, they were both 30.00 more than what newegg sells them for.
buying online seems safer after all.

Hrm, do you guys know if bestbuy gives a small discount on 2x of a highticket item. Im going to buy 2 x 17" lcds and if bestbuy has a good deal then im gonna get em, i think i should be able to get a discount beacouse they gain alot of $$$. Also bestbuy is a shady companie, i had ut2k4 on reserve and they sold my copy!!! I went in and talked to a manager and they said they could give me the regular for more then i was going to pay for my reserved special edition! What is that! Shop from new egg!!!

YESTERDAY THE STATE OF OHIO sued Best Buy for alleged unfair and deceptive business practices.
Ohio state is claiming the company repackaged used goods and sold them as if they were new, as well as not honouring rebates, refunds, exchange programs and extended-service contracts. Apparently, the Ohio Attorney General's Office has received loads of consumer complaints over the last couple of years.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17999

thats awesome, from what i hear they dont treat their employee's very well either. they will be disappearing fast i bet, this type of news travels fast on the web.

If worse comes to worse and you even lost a lawsuit, hire some local kids to throw the particle board and the birck through the window :p

(kidding of course)

Silversinksam said:
I've seen this time and time again, usually with high end video cards at Best Buy. Some Scumbag buys a card, takes a rock or a inferior card, then put's it back in the box and uses a inexpensive Shrink wrap machine and returns the card to best buy, who put it back on the shelf and some poor consumer gets shafted.

If I buy an expensive item at Best Buy, I always open it at the security counter where they check your reciepts before I leave the store.

Uh oh! Don't link to the shrink wrap! you'll give unetical people ideas haha :p

-Excelsior

Silversinksam said:
YESTERDAY THE STATE OF OHIO sued Best Buy for alleged unfair and deceptive business practices.
Ohio state is claiming the company repackaged used goods and sold them as if they were new, as well as not honouring rebates, refunds, exchange programs and extended-service contracts. Apparently, the Ohio Attorney General's Office has received loads of consumer complaints over the last couple of years.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17999

Yay Ohio finally does some good in the world for once.

I had a couple of experiences a while back with low value stuff, one was in a used store, top of the line logitech joystick box, all taped up, got it home and it had an old stick in there, then in a department store, I bought a CD player, and it should have had a power cord and free headphones with it, got it home, nothing else in the box, so I take it back and they tell me they MUST have been in the box and I MUST have lost them and point me at the $10 cord and $15 headphones on the accessory rack. I was so annoyed by these incidents that these days, I will not buy anything of any consequence without opening the box in the store. I will even stand in front of signs saying "please do not open boxes" and open boxes and will stare down any employee who even gives me a slightly dirty look for it. I remember on one occasion, during a sale, I wanted a steering wheel and pedal controller set, they had a shelf full of them, nice and cheap. I went through the whole damn shelf getting filthy looks all the time until finally I found one that had the wheel AND the pedals AND the cables AND the software in with it.

I was intimidated once, when I first decided to do this as a matter of course when buying things, at a store that had a "Final sale, all goods "As is" " where I was just about to open a speaker set, but a really bitchy looking supervisor snapped at me when I just got my fingers under the flap, so I meekly just bought it. Turned out there was no power adapter with them. Anyhoo, lucked out with that because I took it back, and they protested "All sales goods as is" and I said, well, if I read the box it tells me there is a power adapter in there, and there isn't, I was prevented from opening the box, (and just that moment the same supervisor appears) by her, and I was therefore unable to determine the state of the goods at the time of sale. So the manager asked the supervisor if she told me I couldn't open the box and she said yes, (it had only been earlier in the morning) and from that and my implication that I didn't take kindly to them selling things with a false description whether they were on sale "as is" or not, then they decided to let me exchange it.

So anyway, as far as I am concerned I beleive I have the legal right whatever the terms of the transaction, to examine all goods at point of sale, and I make damn sure I do so these days. I think also that in Ontario here, use of a "Do not open boxes sign" is not legally enforcable and would probably be something that counted against a store in a case such as the subject of this post, and probably opens the store up to accepting fraud, since to have things one way, means they can't argue on the side of anybody knowing what was in that specific box.

Cases like this where the little guy gets screwed for more than he can afford and the big guy just laughs, make a good case for having a court system where legal costs are awarded against the loser. Since little guys with rock solid cases simply have to let the big guys kick sand in thier face over and over when litigation is so expensive.

Road Warrior

warlock110, it's actually really easy to catch someone, they make mistakes. Espcially if they think they got away with it once. They get lazy, complacent, or they just dont care.

I'm in the security field. I've spent days watching tape, tracking a person through my building to see if they do what we are expecting. It's boring work for the most part but let me tell you, when you find the evidence, it makes you feel like a $1,000,000.

They just need to figure out where they are at risk, and improve thier security there(likely the backroom and thier dock area). Inproving camera coverage, install better systems, and for gods sake dont ignore that stupid thing that goes off at the doors. That will help in 99% of cases. Training thier security on the methods and process someone goes through when they steal something. Also having a more strict hiring process would help as well. But even knowing all this, even security is a liablity. I've had our own security people here steal. We are almost always suspect first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back