• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy Sued for Price Match Policy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know why anyone shops there. They are grossly over priced from what you pay on newegg.com. Look at HDD prices in BB vs NewEgg and you'll see what I mean. $120 for a $70 drive? No thanks.

Because someone people like to go buy something and have it in hand and be done with it and not have to wait in shipping, and some people just dont trust shopping online, also it is easier to walk into a B&R store to return something if it doesnt work.

I wouldn't call it a lie. Often times they are overpriced. Enough so, I won't shop the big blue box.

So... instead of calling your fellow forum goers liars, how about understanding we have different opinions?

I do wonder... what interest do you have in defending this retailer? Just customer loyalty, or it is something else?

Thanks.

Calling best buy overpriced might be an opinion, but the simple fact is, on sale days, it's not. No matter what, 200$ is less than 240$. It's pretty simple really, and your opinion on math doesn't change that at all.

X-Fi gamer, ONSALE at BB for $100 + tax, $91 w/ free ship at newegg.
BGF 9800 GTX 1GB, ONSALE at BB for $212.50 + tax, $140 + ship at newegg.
Seagate Free Agent 500GB External HDD, ONSALE at BB for $90 + tax, $86 w/ free ship.

And thats just a few... I browsed over alot, and there were only a COUPLE items that could match newegg onsale. The VT 4870 was neweggs price, but youd have to pay tax and Newegg was offering a free game.

Even onsale, most stuff is higher. Best Buy is overpriced, do you work for them or something?

Please, get over the "Best Buy always sucks" idea. Yes, most of the time, their prices are worse than NewEgg. However, there are often deals where BB's prices are LOWER than online vendors'. This is true of practically any store. Arguing about it won't change the fact that many people have gotten better deals from BB, and that many people have gotten better deals from online-only vendors. The thread topic is their price matching policy. If you have experience with that, please post it.

Last edited:
I never said Best Buy sucks. I purchase electronics from stores like BB, Fry's Circuit City, ect as well as DVD/BluRay.

However, best buy is generally far overpriced on most things (except like what I mentioned above, generally the TV's on sale, DVD's, are all the same as they must match walmart pricing these days to be competitive).

Things that other stores locally dont sell (we have 1 Fry's for computer parts intown, no other computer stores for the most part, actually 1 just popped up, but they sell mostly older things and noone knows about them yet) BB marks up, which is mostly computer parts.

Please, get over the "Best Buy always sucks" idea. Yes, most of the time, their prices are worse than NewEgg. However, there are often deals where BB's prices are LOWER than online vendors'. This is true of practically any store. Arguing about it won't change the fact that many people have gotten better deals from BB, and that many people have gotten better deals from online-only vendors. The thread topic is their price matching policy. If you have experience with that, please post it.

And just because they have 'once in a blue moon better sales than online vendors', doesn't mean others don't have the right to their own opinion, that it does indeed suck, most of the time.

Regarding the topic, I was purchasing ink for my printer from Best Buy, and before going there I went to The Source Circuit City which was ACROSS THE STREET from Best Buy. I picked up their flyer right when I entered their store. I went to Best Buy and saw the exact same cartridge for $25 MORE. I showed them the Circuit City flyer and their stupid employee said, "Oh we disregard that price because Circuit City is a small scale store and are not our competition"...yeah...I wish I could've thrown a punch right there... but I simple walked out and bought the cartridge from Circuit City and decided never to step my foot into BB again. (unless ofcourse their once in a blue moon sale seems appealing to me..so long as I never have to talk to their 'know it all' employees again)

Seagate Free Agent 500GB External HDD, ONSALE at BB for $90 + tax, $86 w/ free ship.

And thats just a few... I browsed over alot, and there were only a COUPLE items that could match newegg onsale. The VT 4870 was neweggs price, but youd have to pay tax and Newegg was offering a free game.

Even onsale, most stuff is higher. Best Buy is overpriced, do you work for them or something?

No, I work for a great company, but not best buy. I'm just simply saying, I've bought all my hard drives there at better prices than newegg. I'll agree that prices on most things are higher, but regular stuff like games are spot on, and so are most input devices to a degree.. and western digital stuff seems to go on sale there alot too.

It'sj ust it's the closest thing to a fry's or microcenter I got, and sometimes it's got a good deal. I just can't stand sheeple hating something just to hate it. Look at vista... and the mojave experiment.

No, I work for a great company, but not best buy. I'm just simply saying, I've bought all my hard drives there at better prices than newegg. I'll agree that prices on most things are higher, but regular stuff like games are spot on, and so are most input devices to a degree.. and western digital stuff seems to go on sale there alot too.

It'sj ust it's the closest thing to a fry's or microcenter I got, and sometimes it's got a good deal. I just can't stand sheeple hating something just to hate it. Look at vista... and the mojave experiment.

+1. I buy all my games that aren't offered on steam there. The prices are the same, and I don't have to wait for shipping (my game purchases are impulse buys).

On Topic. I'm also thinking that this will be settled out of court with BB admitting no guilt. I haven't tried the price match policy at any store...if a different store has a better price I go there. Isn't that common sense? I do look for the items that have a open box or something as those get marked down. With BB's return policy if it doesn't work, I just return it and get a new one.

Its interesting how BB will most likely be able to pay people to shut up and forget it ever happened...but I guess thats what the people on the other end of the lawsuit are looking for in the first place.

I've actually have had quite a few good experiences at best buy. One time I wanted to get the Canon SX1000IS from staples, they had it at a very very low $199.99 price, current price at that time was $299.99. Staples was out, and I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for their new shipment to come in. I took ad in hand went to best buy went to the digital camera section and whipped out the ad. The guy working there couldn't believe how low the camera was, he called his manager, manager comes over takes a look at me and then the ad and says "if its printed we gotta price match it". However lately their customer service has been dropping. Couple months ago during early december me and my sister went to best buy with her husband, we were looking at getting a high end laptop. Infact we've only been looking at the high end laptops in best buy with blu ray drives. The workers didn't even seem to notice we were there, yet they were all over other customers who were looking at netbooks. :screwy: We did purchase a laptop from them for over $2000 because they had lower prices than frys at the time. Needless to say i won't be coming back to best buy for a while, unless they got some super cheap stuff.

I order everything online and barely buy anything in stores anymore. I never go to bestbuy unless there is a game to pickup that is hard to find elsewhere for some reason or I need a cable. And even then, I am paying extra for that. HDMI cables anyone?

All right, the topic is not what our personal preferences are but how to handle PM if we had to. Thanks to poster who posted the official price match policy. Linkage for that per chance?

Wait, what does that thing say, that they only PM between their own store and web site?

Recently I saw a taped to the door, short sign on Best Buy Kansas City North store that said how they price match other local stores if you bring their add in...

I bought my G5 there and didn't have any problems with them price matching. It was 49.99 in-store, and 35.99 online. I went in and told them what it was online, and gave it to me for that price without even checking. I was in and out in under 5 min.

Maybe this is different since I had them price match their in-store price with their online price, instead of a different store.

So far I have yet to have a best buy price match policy issue but then again I'm not a regular retail consumer. Generally it depends on the employee you get, I've found most female employees never ever give me problems.

Then you get joe blow power tripper that has to assert his authority just to make himself feel good or is totally worthless. Some of them act as if going out of there way to do anything hurts their pride/ego.

Basically what it comes down to is stop shopping at the store if you hate it. It's just like working at a job, if you can't stand it and hate it....it's time to find a new one! Some people seem to not be able to grasp this and really the winner in the end is the lawyer with his Class Action Lawsuit :rolleyes:

All right, the topic is not what our personal preferences are but how to handle PM if we had to. Thanks to poster who posted the official price match policy. Linkage for that per chance?

Wait, what does that thing say, that they only PM between their own store and web site?

Recently I saw a taped to the door, short sign on Best Buy Kansas City North store that said how they price match other local stores if you bring their add in...

did I not give info on how to price match? I did say with ad in hand didn't I? I would count that as a way to handle pm "if we had to" I mean if you have an ad they most likely won't give you trouble, but if you just came in and said "X place has it for XX cheaper" they would most likely try to not price match it because they actually have to call in and see if the store with lower price does indeed have it at said price and has it in inventory.

aside from the 9800 gtx I'd pay the extra on those to have them now but that's just me. I have many times paid $10 + or - to walk out of the store with the product in hand even if I didn't need it right away.

I have gotten good deals at Bestbuy, It is up to the consumer to be informed and to know what they want and what it costs. I paid $135+tax for my VisionTek 4850 back when they were going for around $180 on Newegg. I got my Rocketfish case at Bestbuy for $47 dollars. I purchased my wifes LCD monitor from Bestbuy. Yes the can be a complete ripoff, However they also can offer some pretty good deals, If Bestbuy was a monopoly, Then they would be a total ripoff, They aren't, So you only get ripped off if you allow yourself to do so.

This seems very characteristic of them. I got a warranty from them on a TV I bought. The sales man told me that if anything breaks they will either fix it in store or replace it with the same or similar model. A year into my two year warranty the component connections break while removing the cables. I take it in and they say they don't cover physical damage and it will need to be sent out to the manufacturer and it probably won't be covered by their warranty. I complained a bit and eventually asked for my warranty money back, which they refunded at a prorated amount. A few minutes later I bitched to one of the sales man about it and he said "Oh no, we cover that sort of damage".

I just can't stand sheeple hating something just to hate it. Look at vista... and the mojave experiment.

LOL anyone can play that game
KDE 4 as Windows 7

Back