• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooler for ATi HD 3850 AGP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I put on an Artic Cooling accels1 Rev 2 on mine. I strapped a 120mm fan on it and it dropped the idle temp by 8*c from 45*c to 37*c. My load temps went from 70*C to 55*c max. I have my card OC'ed some as well. I am thinking of lapping the base of the cooler and the memory coolers to see if I can get better performance out of it. I think that the cooler does a really good job for the price.

I know it doesnt answer the best cooler question, but you could also try upping the fan speed with rivatuner or something. I can do about 45% without hearing it above my system noise and it drops the temps a good 15 at load. I was all set to get a new cooler after OCing the card, now I am completely happy with the stock setup.

Very VERY dead thread I know, but if there's any interest I have just popped a video on YouTube where i've replaced the stock cooler on an AGP HD 3850. I used an Arctic Accelero L2 Plus which I found second hand, and for further testing i've now ordered an Akasa Vortexx Neo AK-VC03-BLUV, and an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro with no fans. I'll test again comparing all three, and with the Twin Turbo i'll test with and without fans. As it happens I have two AGP HD 3850 cards and the other has stock cooling, so I can compare them all against that as a base line. This time i'll use my thermal camera to check on chip temps etc as well

Anyway, thoroughly un-scientific acoustic and thermal comparisons toward the end of the video -

hey, all,

wondering of a few of you could just blurt out the best cooler for an ATi HD 3850 AGP card?

thanks,
-PB
Video now up -
- 45 degrees using a RAIJINTEK Morpheus 8057 usually used on things like a 2080Ti 😉

So to answer your question from 2008, i'd say the RAIJINTEK Morpheus 8057 is the best cooler.

Thanks for the links... but we'd love to see you post info without posting your YT site... lol. :)

My plan was to test multiple coolers, but in the end the only ones that fitted without modification were the ARCTIC Accelero L2 Plus and the Raijintek Morpheus 8057. I may tinker with the others to get them to fit at a later date..

The Morpheus has 12 heatpipes, is 4.4 cm tall, and is marketed as a cooler for a 2080 Ti..I forget how heavy it is - but I used a GPU brace:

Morpheus 8057.png

I fitted the L2 a while ago and was what i've been using for a while now, but I thought I could do better - no heatpipes but does run very very quietly:

l2plus.jpg

I also had a random dual fan pci slot cooler i'd never used so decided i'd use that for cooling on the Morpheus too:

titan dual x.png

So as I already had results from stress testing on the L2 and the stock cooler I included that in my results against the Morpheus, setup in various fan configurations. 3 x front 120mm fans going at all times so the testing was consistent - or as much as I could make it.

IMG_20220910_115218.jpg IMG_20220910_142207.jpg IMG_20220910_165025.jpg

My testing was done using Furmark v1.0 (not the latest for XP - I know) running at 1080p for a straight 5 mins, and this is what HWMonitor gave me as temps:

Idle Load
Stock Cooler 43 86
Accelero L2 Plus 37 72
Morpheus Passive 46 74
Morpheus + Dual X @Min 42 66
Morpheus + Dual X @Max 34 57
Morpheus + 1 x 120mm fan 33 50
Morpheus + 2 x 120mm fans 32 45

And so it's easier to see the difference, I did a bar chart. Because of course.. ;)

results.png

So yeah. To conclude my test I suggest the Morpheus! You can get them new in the UK for only £39.36 from here apparently https://waterstonehome.co.uk/produc...on-morpheus-8057-heatpipe-vga-kuhler-schwarz/ ;)

Back