• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooler for fx8120 (air)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Numbers aren't always accurate. The Havik is very quiet.

FYI you can EDIT your post; rather than make multiple posts. It's more effective, cleaner and we do appreciate it more ^^

*a couple*

You mean I will be able to put 2 140mm instead of 1 140mm and 1 120mm?
Yes, if your ram is not too tall you can use 2x 140mm fans.

You say your RAM is 2mm.. I doubt that. If it is it's not as tall as your CPU is. :confused:

I would take any factory spec with at least a bag of salt. They vary excessively from truth.

dBA is complicated. Human ear is complicated. Combine them and it's even more complicated. Basic rule of thumb is for every 10dBA increase it sound twice as loud. 0dBA is lowest we can hear. 115-120dBA is when it becomes painful, but damage to hearing starts at about 82dBA dependent on how long you listen to it.
Here's a good read about dBA and noise
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

If it doesn't say PWM odds are it is not.

2cm is very low RAM.. lower than normal 23-24mm RAM clips. ;) It will fit under coolers no problem. And you only need a 165mm case to fit a 140mm fan on it.

Actually I am talking with PC case gear to start importing Phanteks into Australian market, being as good as D14 is.
If they get it here before 20th, I will buy it (its when I get paid, monthly), the 140mm one, with another 140mm fan, 3 in total.all PWM
If not, I will go for the D14, as looks good, also has double separated heat pipes, in which havik may have heat transfer between pipes

Actually I am talking with PC case gear to start importing Phanteks into Australian market, being as good as D14 is.
If they get it here before 20th, I will buy it (its when I get paid, monthly), the 140mm one, with another 140mm fan, 3 in total.all PWM
If not, I will go for the D14, as looks good, also has double separated heat pipes, in which havik may have heat transfer between pipes
3 fans might give you 1c cooler temps.
Phanteks are not pwm fans. The supply a PWM adapter that gets hot running 2 fans. I wouldn't run 3 with it.
I"m running Thermalright TY-140 series fans on my TC14PE. Another good fan is Scythe Slip Stream 140 PWM Adjustable VR
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-140-pwm-adjustable.html

PCcasegear said they tried to contact phankets before, no answer. Too expensive to import from US/Canada.
I will go for Noctua. Also I will be looking at PWM fans.
I have my eye on BitFenix Spectre Pro White 140mm PWM Fan or Arctic Cooling 140mm F14 PWM Fan
Also I am looking at a good fan controller for the rest 6 case fans.

I am looking to change them to get low noise at low speed, good airflow.
Now what is the deal with static presure? should intake fans have more Static presure, while side, top and exhoust the least, with more CFM?

Why not test with the stock fans first? See if you're happy with the results. Don't always go off numbers on websites; sometimes you need to hear things yourself as well. They already come with it; why not run them for a bit and see how they fare? Noctua make nice fans. The colour may not be for everyone; but they're still quality fans.

Back to your original post:
DeepCool Assassin $89.88
http://www.zylax.com.au/deepcool-cf...am3-with-8-heatpipes-140mm-120mm-p-25471.html

Here it's called Alpenfohn K2. Stock it's within 1.5c of Phanteks TC14PE and 2c warmer than H100. Change fans and it's .25-1c warmer than the best with same fans.
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/alpenfoehn_k2_cpu_cooler_revisited,10.html

PCcasegear said they tried to contact phankets before, no answer. Too expensive to import from US/Canada.
I will go for Noctua. Also I will be looking at PWM fans.
I have my eye on BitFenix Spectre Pro White 140mm PWM Fan or Arctic Cooling 140mm F14 PWM Fan
Also I am looking at a good fan controller for the rest 6 case fans.

I am looking to change them to get low noise at low speed, good airflow.
Now what is the deal with static presure? should intake fans have more Static presure, while side, top and exhoust the least, with more CFM?

Have you considered ordering from UK? Just a thought as don't know what post would be, but you can wouldn't be paying 20% VAT.

I don't know what your fan placement allows but here Thermalright TY-147 73.6cfm@1300rpm(same as TY-140 but black housing & white blades) are £4.89 which is $7.42. TY-143 130cfm@2500rpm (TY-140 on steriods red/orange, ball bearing .6A motor) is £7.00 which is $10.62. Both available from Scan.com

Last edited:
I checked all the reviews and went for the NH-D14.
Now I can't installed it coz I lost my stock backplate (H40 provides a light weight backplate). The screws don't fit into the light weight.
I emailed Noctua supprt as written in instructions, awaiting answer.
No IT shop sell just backplate.

now guys, what is the best air cooler for AMD fx8120?
I would prefer to keep my overclock, as my H40 runs to hot for it, even on stock and underclock. Only because of my weather.
It has to keep Temps below 55 C, even when room temp is 35C - Australia
When room is 40C or above, I don't even turn the PC on

Budget $150.
Only Air, as my Antec 1100 is too small for double rad water loop.
I was thinking about Noctua Full size 14cm, the MONSTER.
I have Normal size RAM, no extra heatsink, also not low profile. Will it fit?
Anyone got the Noctua to give me the size in cm?

:rain:Don't ask us things when you can easily go to noctua's website and look at the extensive list of ram that is compatible with that heatsink.

:rain:Don't ask us things when you can easily go to noctua's website and look at the extensive list of ram that is compatible with that heatsink.
Wow Zenos that was useful and considering the questions you have asked :shrug:

Affected by the motherboard as well. ;)

There are many factors, if his case isn't big enough he won't even be able to put the side panel on after installation. His main question was about ram which on noctua's website is right there when you click on the d14.:popcorn:

I'm saying whether a RAM hits the NH-D14 or not is also dependent on the motherboard that both are in, so that compatibility list that Noctua publishes is likely trash.

I'm saying whether a RAM hits the NH-D14 or not is also dependent on the motherboard that both are in, so that compatibility list that Noctua publishes is likely trash.

As I said, there are many factors, chances are he has a normal layed out atx board of which the cpu and ram slots are beside eachother, otherwise he likely wouldn't be asking. I'm leaving don't worry. :p

Back