• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Cooling Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vikeyev

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good cooling solution to get that little bit extra bang out of my otherwise aging computer. When I initially built the system I bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme Rev2 to help keep the temperatures down.

After overclocking my Phenom II x6 1050t and running prime95 my cpu would hit 65C in seconds and then go higher and crash. I pulled off the cooler and noticed the cpu was literally covered in dust, even dust under the sides and just about every rung on the cooler was littered with dust, plus the thermal paste needed reapplying (I used to have a negative air pressure). Needless to say it's much cooler now.

But I want to go further, atm I can run prime95 for 30mins and the temp will slowly reach and max out at 60C (I am in an air conditioned room). First off, what can I do to decrease the temperature further.

Second problem, I live in Australia, it is so goddamn hot here, (it's midnight and the air con is on). In a few days temperatures will reach 33C/91F and 70% humidity (it's not even summer yet). I have temporarily moved my PC to the lounge (my mother is aghast) to be in the air con, but I can't keep it out here forever and we can't afford to run the air con forever. In summer it will get even hotter and my computer will also get hotter with it.

What can I do to combat this heat. My budget isn't huge but I am more than willing to save if the need be. Noise means nothing to me, I have never cared about a noisy computer.

CPU-Z Specs I have 3 intake fans, 2 outtake fans and the Cooler fan. It is a little cramped inside the case.

A couple questions.

#1 Did you apply the correct amount of Thermal paste? (Please don't be offended it's more common than you think). Should be pea sized. I like to spread mine, others just allow it to squish on.

#2 Can you clear cables and wires away from CPU cooler and intake/exhaust fans?

#3 What is layout of your air flow? Can you post a pick of your rig with the side off and throw some arrows showing air flow direction. (Again this happens fairly frequently)

#4 Any plans to move to Alaska? :cool:

A couple questions.

#1 Did you apply the correct amount of Thermal paste? (Please don't be offended it's more common than you think). Should be pea sized. I like to spread mine, others just allow it to squish on.

lol it's fine, the most common problems are often caused by simple things like that. But yes, I did, I prefer to spread mine with a card (they conveniently provided one, first I've seen of that).

#2 Can you clear cables and wires away from CPU cooler and intake/exhaust fans?

Not really, I'll show you the pics.

#3 What is layout of your air flow? Can you post a pick of your rig with the side off and throw some arrows showing air flow direction. (Again this happens fairly frequently)

Airflow
Also the 2 cables at the top left that look as though they are crossing the path of the fan, aren't. They are more forward then they look.

#4 Any plans to move to Alaska? :cool:

If I could convince my missus, I would. Sadly I've got buckleys, she can't handle the cold, otherwise I would move back home to New Zealand.

Doesn't look to bad.

Possible solutions.

#1 If you case can take larger fans (140mm) try upgrading to those if not look into higher volume fans like Yate Loons or the like.

#2 I'm not familiar with your Cooler. Can you add a fan for push/pull configuration?

#3 Your case looks similar to this Xion. Notice how I ran the cables on the left side of the drive bays. See if that's an option as you do have a small ball o' cables infront of your intake.(at least that's how it looks from this angle).

P.S. the second pic looks like a ball in front of my cooler but if you look close you will see it's on the side of the drive bays.

Sorry for the delay, my brother gave me his pc (with a better Mobo among other things) so I've taken all the best components out of mine and put them in his. I decided to try out his case, hoping it would be much better. It looks cool, it is a Coolermaster storm scout.... It is also a piece of crap (excuse the french). I am now on stock FSB frequency and I'm idling at about 33-35c, my case was 25C at 3.4ghz, at the same voltage.

The design of this case leaves me greatly confused :confused:. But on that note, do you know of a case that is not only big (don't go overboard lol) but is excellent for airflow, also functionality over aesthetics. I was going to put it all back in my case, but I thought why not just upgrade as mine isn't exactly spectacular (his has all these little holes etc for you to hide the cables out of the way and loop them through to the back and a carry handle lol, mine you can't really put them through the back without them getting in the way of the fans and everything else, plus they are both a tad small.

As for this thing, there is only space for 1 14cm front fan and in front of the honeycomb like grill, is a large round, fancy plastic design, in front of that is the foamy mesh dust catcher attached to the front metal grill filled with teensy tiny holes. So basically triple mesh in front of the fan, I can barely feel any air whatsoever behind the drive bay (which the fan has to also blow through), the top fan has a double mesh like thing going on...unusual design from cooler master. 2 Side fans, not a big fan (no pun intended) of double side, I prefer double front, just a personal thing though, not sure as to the effectiveness of each.

Either way, the fans aren't producing near as much air in this thing as they were in mine.

EDIT: Besides the MOBO it has his optical drives, his HDD's (and mine), his more powerful PSU and his 140mm front fan as opposed to my 120mm pair. The new MOBO is Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5.

Last edited:
Back