• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU for Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya, if i could get my hands on an Unlocked barton then i would go with that, but people have trouble with that. So im still thinking the 2.4c . Even more so after reading about how that guy got his to +4

quail said:
Ya, i have not heard much form the Athlon fans yet... im starting to wonder.. ;)

Could it be that is because you said you wanted to stick with intel...

Dubbin1 said:

Could it be that is because you said you wanted to stick with intel...

Ya thats what i thought at first, but most post when i say something like that they swarm all over it. ;)

its hard to argue with a $80 barton, but just imagine a 2.4c mo with some kick*ss d43 memory running at 1-1 with a 300 fsb.that is enuff to make even an hardcore amd fan think hard......

Really it depends on what you want to do with your system. The AMD is a fine choice for games office and $80 for 2500.
Intel 2.4 2.8 is a fine choice for games encoding and video. $156
the thing that swung me to AMD was my motherboard. it runs dual channel DDR. 400MHZ but the ATA 150 SATA RAID is so darn fast and that makes a difference for me. I move allot of files and when I encode I don't get bogged down with slow read and writes say what they want about hyper threading I get the job done very fast and am able to do what I want while encoding on a Barton 3000 with no OC. It can only get better when I figure out how to OC this monster. Makes a Intel fan boy think twice about an AMD. ; )

Last edited:
thanks I am going to build a pentuim system soon. I will get one of those but what is the difference between the

ic7 max3 mb and the ai7 max3

IceTheNet said:
thanks I am going to build a pentuim system soon. I will get one of those but what is the difference between the

ic7 max3 mb and the ai7 max3

the ic7 max is abits flagship motherboard it uses the 875 chipset better onboard audio, better lan more sata and aid raid capability.costs about 185 bux.
the ai7 employs the 865 chipset not as good audio lan and sata connectors. but is has all the goodies for overclocking including vdimm voltage up to 3.2volts. also has abits overclocking guru program that lets u oc on the fly. all of this for 110 bux. this is the board to get in my opinion. if they had offered it when i bought my ic7 i wouldve gotten it. dont get me wrong i love my ic7, but if youre serious about overclocking you have to have vdimm adjustments higher than 2.8v which is what my ic7 has. so i had to do a very involved difficult vdimm mod, which the ai7 gives u for free

Another excellent board is the Asus P4C800-E

These things are great boards and feature also the 875 chipset.

These things do have issues with vcore fluctuation under load but can be easily remedied with a vcore droop mod.

I've owned two abit ic7's (both non G's) and both have had their problems...

1st one died completely randomly.... went out of my room to get a drink and then when i come back.. computer off and no post after that.

2nd one had major vcore issues at the end of its life... started showing vcore of 1.33 when set to default of 1.525 and it wasn't the chip either...

so i guess i'm partial towards asus now

I was just about to ask about the Asus P4C800, its like u read my mind :) im thinkin of using that Mobo and combo it with a 2.4c

quail said:
I was just about to ask about the Asus P4C800, its like u read my mind :) im thinkin of using that Mobo and combo it with a 2.4c

thats a nice board too, so is the epox boards. 1 thing tho, if youre, gonna run 1-1 remember a 2.4c mo step can easily run 290-300+fsb and the average pc4000 simply cant run that high. in fact it gonna be hard to find pcanything thatll run that fast, but not impossible....

Back