• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU for Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ill have to run on a 5:4 then? i sure i can mess around a bit to try to figure something out :)

I think it would be a applebredB Locked or unlocked, if locked the 1.6ghz one is best (12x200FSB=2400), I think the 1.8 with its 13.5 multi is a little too high. If your going to unlock it get the 1.4 ghz with it's 10.5 multi.

quail said:
I was just about to ask about the Asus P4C800, its like u read my mind :) im thinkin of using that Mobo and combo it with a 2.4c

Probably save yourself some money if you got the P4P800........ eable MAM and its pretty much the same as a P4C800. Only difference between the 2 is the 875 has PAT, which Asus copied and turned into MAM on the 865.

Nobody mentioned the mobile athlon xp 2500+ is multiplier UNLOCKED and it runs cooler. They work in normal desktop mobos just fien, they have the 512k cache, they run about ten dollars more than a regular barton, and I'm thinking of buying one. The new locked bartons supposedly overclock higher than the old unlocked ones provided you have the hardware to get the fsb high enough.

pfft your right about one thing. the unlocked 2500 and 17-1800s are very rare and hard to find. Thank fully i found a 1800-dlt3c in sandiego and a very tight 2500 that has hit 2.7+ so im all about good quality chips. But one thing you must consider when overclocking, KOOLING> is the biggest issue when overclocking your cpu. If its hot its goin to fail sooner or later. My chip runs at 2.3Ghz at around 2C in a MSI Kt4ultra.

Any way I just got a DFI NF2 ultra B. It is the premier OverClockers board. There is almost no support or testimonials about this board, it was built for the extreme overclocker in mind. With no voltage mods either, this board has a max 300FSB. It is about 50 bucks more than a NF-7 or A78X, it will decimate all with its plethora of bios settings and it kan backup up to 4 bios settings with names. Its goin to ***** the kompetition once i get the water block for the northbridge. gonna break 3.0Ghz-

AMD rulz- intel is fir ameturz who wanna try and oc. cellys are sad. if you wanna save a few bucks get an amd, if your a got tons of cash get a real p4 2.6 or 3.0. save your money for a descent board spend the extra money now. late

water_banner.jpg

julian where did you read about that the new bartons overclock higher than the old ones... i work at pcclub and i just got 4 oem barton 2500s stepping 309 and they are green. there are 2 with white/ blue cores.

I think the new Mobile bartons are the way to go, unlocked multiplier, low voltage requirement (means cherry picks) and only $10 more than the desktop version... I'm interested to see what the O/C community does with these chips, I'm pretty happy where I am though (sig :D)

I'm shooting for 2.6 soon...

IceTheNet said:

What is max3

Max3 (To me) Is the newest Kick'n*** Mobo from Abit.
look Here to see it, have C*m rag handy.

As to the CPU....P4 2.8 They are 'relatively' cheap and they start you at a decent speed with miles to o/c ahead of you,.....with stock cooling and stock core. With after market cooling options and other such o/c adjuncts you can go crazy with this processor. Good luck!

Back