• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU for single threaded apps on my budget?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dany man

Disabled
delete

I asked this on another site, but it turned out to be a troll pit and I was chewed and and had to delete my account.
Anyway my budget for the CPU is around 120$ and around 75$ for a mATX or ITX motherboard.
I have a GPU, and alot of high end cooling parts.
I only use use my PC to play very old games from the early 00s and back. But I have one new game I play, mount and blade.
M&B is not all to well made and it racks up one core to the point that even some less recent I7's can be bogged down once you mod it or up the battle size count.

Anyway given what my budget is what would you say is the best single threaded performance CPU?
I don't want to skimp there as everything else I do can be done on a rather old CPU. I don't need a good upgrade path as I intend to keep the pc until it brakes nor do I intend to change my uses.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will likely be good with an I3 9100 F and a lower end compatible motherboard.

What about ram?

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. Have no idea what he has on hand. But I'm going to assume DDR2 or DDR3.

But what would make building this even more interesting. Games from 2000.... well you could almost use ANY PCIE card and play games that where run on what? 3DFX? That's K6-23D or Pentium 3.... So maybe he's got AGP and DDR??!!! Love vintage builds.

I jumped from MB LGA-1366 to z170, so I can't recommend a MB. I can tell you that AMD has nothing in the DDR3 systems that can beat a i5 or i7 system. I'm not sure what MB you would need BUT a i7-3770k/i5-3570k or a i7-4770k/i5-4690k will work for you.
We have some Excellent DDR3-2000 (2x4GB) for sale. I'm looking to keep your price low BUT still have some OC headroom if needed. Estimated cost ~ $50(CPU)+$50(MB)+$50(MEM) = $150-$175

If you need L3 the the Ryzen 2600 will provide 16MB and can be had for $140. Or the 3600 on a slightly higher budget ($200) offers 32MB of L3. The 2600 will cost you some clock speed. Normally it is also regarded as having a lower IPC than 9th gen intel chips, but I believe cache impacts IPC so I don't know if we can assume the same is true with the 9100F if we already know that his.game needs the cache. It's also likely possible to OC the 2600 to 4.0GHz, but not with a $70 board and the stock cooler.

I think at this point you can have your budget, clock speed, or cache, but not all three. What about used??

Last edited:
Dany,

We don't delete threads. Your initial post was fine, nothing wrong with it and you received answers so please do not delete or alter it because your responders have no idea what your questions were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back