• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Duron or Athlon 4 for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sdx

Registered
Well, I'm looking to get a cheap Duron or Athlon 4, some decent cooling, and some pc2100 ram (I figure the duron I'd get will have stock 200MHz fsb, so pc2100 should be fine for an awesome OC). My question is, what is the best Duron for overclocking? I'm not looking for performance here as much as seeing how much of an overclock I can do. I've been looking at 1-1.2GHz Durons because they are pretty cheap. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

what system are you planning to overclock on? Why only use PC2100 RAM? Also why did you mention the Athlon4? Except ebay I doubt you can get that anywhere by now.
If you were talking about the Mobile AthlonXP then you will want RAM that can do more than 133MHz. I'd go for PC3200. if you don't have a lot of money, generic PC3200 will be better than most PC2100 RAM.
For good cooling I'd go with a thermalright heatsink, for the price that you can afford www.heatsinkfactory.com is one place to look for them, only remember you will also have to get a fan for these heatsinks.
For the CPU, again depending on your budget either the XP-M 2400+ or 2500+. 2500+ will be a better overclocker, but the 2400+ isn't bad overclocker either, and will OC better than desktop bartons.
Do not get a duron that is sub 1400MHz as these are Morgans and do not go over 1.4GHz on the most part. The new Applebreds (1400 and up) are just TbredBs with most of its cache disabled, so they overclock great, but they are locked, and not unlockable. They also run at 133MHz FSB, so PC2100 RAM will only be able to run it at stock.
what motherboard are you going to use for that system anyway?

I was talking about Athlon 4 because they were pretty cheap on eBay (I'm assuming these are Athlons around 1-1.4GHz?). I don't have a lot of money to spend on this system, so that's why I was going for some cheap ram. PC2700 should work fine (I use generic PC2700 in the rig in my sig) for an overclock with a cheaper Athlon XP. The board I will be using is a PC CHIPS/ECS M848LU and it only supports FSB overclocking, so I'm not looking to put a great deal of the money I have into this system.

Back