• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best/easiest way to put a copper top on a homemade WB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

well?
i may have access to a MIll here soon so i am gonna designe a waterblock and i need to figure out hte easyest way to put the top half of the block on... i really onyl have the mill, dremel tool and cheap parts that you can buy at your local HW store... nee ideas?:D :D :D thnks if you can help

can you jbweld a top on? i have heard of people doing that but i always thought the pressure would be too great. of course it says you can use that stuff to repair cracked engine blocks and what not so maybe it would be safe?

can you jbweld a top on? i have heard of people doing that but i always thought the pressure would be too great. of course it says you can use that stuff to repair cracked engine blocks and what not so maybe it would be safe?
I used JB on the tops of a few blocks w/ screws no leaks yet:D

ya i thought jbweld would be a great choice if it is safe, i dont see why it wouldnt be considering the stuff it is recommended to be used on. much less work than getting out the blow torch, not many have that kind of experience either.

from experience, things that work well without having to use screws: Solder, JB-weld

Things that work well when used with screws: O-ring, RTV silicone.

many other things will work, those are just the few that I have tried and know have worked well.

I would get some solder and flux, flux it up, torch it or stick it on the stove and heat it till the flux boils and the solder melts. and itll suck the solder in real good and fill it up

whats flux? lol... the stove idea sounds good... you do mean just a normal cooking stove right? i would just put the solder around where i would want to to be and then let it heat up on a normal stove? or am i understand that wrong?:D

you spread the flux on the area to be joined, then you pop it on the stove and crank it up(regular cooking stove). then as soon as its hot enough to melt the solder just touch the joint and itll suck it up real good, touch around other places to make sure its good and shut it off and let it cool for a few hrs

JFettig said:
you spread the flux on the area to be joined, then you pop it on the stove and crank it up(regular cooking stove). then as soon as its hot enough to melt the solder just touch the joint and itll suck it up real good, touch around other places to make sure its good and shut it off and let it cool for a few hrs

He means a gas stove. LOL

ok... i get it... if you are reffering to a gas stove it should work on a stove w/ te little rings that head up right? the only thing im not sure on is what flux IS lol... i know what solder is but i have never really dealt with solderin metals just electronics... :rolleyes: :D

CrashOveride said:
ok... i get it... if you are reffering to a gas stove it should work on a stove w/ te little rings that head up right? the only thing im not sure on is what flux IS lol... i know what solder is but i have never really dealt with solderin metals just electronics... :rolleyes: :D

Flux usually comes in a round short white can. It's in a paste with small particles of tin. Usually it's tin but I seen others with silver. It helps the solder to flow inside the joint to seal it shut. Without it you would never get the solder inside the joint.

go to home depot or equivalent, and look in the plumbing section, get lead free solder and flux for it.

about the stove, any stove will work as far as I know, I use an electric stove, one with the big ugly burners, I have tried the coily type too, those work also, I bet gas stoves would work great too

oky-day... off to find a solidworks tutorial...:D

im not sure when i will acutally get to finishing the block but i needed to find the best way to put it on so i could make sure it wouldnt interfere with my design:D

Back