• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Fan for Thermalright SLK-947U?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billobob0

Registered
Hi, I'm planning on getting a barton 2500+ sometime this month or next, and was wondering which fan is the best for a thermalright SLK-947U? I am going to overclock to at least 3200+ speeds, maybe more. I don't want to use the hair-dryer vantec tornado or any of the uber-delta fans, but on the other hand I don't need an ultra-quiet fan either. Anything below 40 dB is acceptable, with a strong preferance for 35 and below. What fan within this range is the best for the heatsink? Thanks!

Also, on a side note: is it true that the new locked bartons actually run cooler than the unlocked ones?

I would also recommend the SF2, since you can easily adjust it to a noise level that your ears can handle. In the non-adjustable fan market, you might also want to look at the Panaflo H1A 92mm fan here. 56.8CFM @ 35 dBA are pretty impressive figures, and fall right below the dB range you specified.

947 has Heat Pipes and the 900 dosent...There is no minium cfm fan for slk series, a good choice would be the slf2

the 947 doesn't not have heatpipes... thats the sp94.... the 947 is just a slightly bigger 900 and fits on more motherboards.

for real good functions and features, go with the smart fan II by thermaltake, u can use full speed, manual fan speed adjustment, or temp speed adjusted (with external probe) all-in-all, this fan is pretty useful for when u want high speed for max cooling, or low speed for when ur pc is on idle, its real versatile, but if u want max cooling ALL the time, go with a vantec tornado 92 mm (but ur pc will sound like a mid-sized vacuum cleaner, im not kidding, or if u want silent BUT efficient cooling, go with a medium rpm panaflow, they are silent but cool pretty well for their noise lvl

a socket A version of the sp-94 is supposedly coming out in december or sometime in the near future
________
HERBAL HEALTH

Last edited:
billobob0 said:
Hi, I'm planning on getting a barton 2500+ sometime this month or next, and was wondering which fan is the best for a thermalright SLK-947U? I am going to overclock to at least 3200+ speeds, maybe more. I don't want to use the hair-dryer vantec tornado or any of the uber-delta fans, but on the other hand I don't need an ultra-quiet fan either. Anything below 40 dB is acceptable, with a strong preferance for 35 and below. What fan within this range is the best for the heatsink? Thanks!

I've used a variety of fans on my SLK-900A. Unlike other posters, I do not recommend the SF2; it's sound is terribly annoying at high spped and it cooled my rig no better than the *much* more quiet 80mm Panaflo U1A or a 92mm Panflo H1A. If you think that you need more cooling power, Directron has a Datech 92mm fan for $4 that pushes-out 95cfm with a relatively small noise penalty, at least when compared to the SF2 and especially the Tornado. Granted, its thermal sensor needs to be modied for best performance. Don't get me wrong, the Datech is not silent by any means, but made for a 4C drop in load temps over the SF2 and the Panaflo's. Directron also has 92mm fans for $.99. They're a bit louder than a 92mm H1A, but much more quiet than a SF2.

FWIW, my CPU is at 32C right now and the case is at 23C with a 900A and a 92mm H1A running silently through a Vantec fan controller.

I highly recommend the Tt 92mm 56 CFM fan for its quietness. At full speed, I can't hear it, yet it pushes a lot of air. Look at my sig for temps at OC settings. You can't go wrong with this fan.

My mistake, the sp947 has heatpipes and is the best one yet to come...slap a tornado at full speed...youll be deaf and enjoying the cool temps

I cant recommend a 80 mm fan when there is the ability to use 92 mm. 92 mm fans move more air at lower rpm and noise level. the only thing that the smart fan 2 has on a panaflo 92 mm or something similar is that it has higher air pressure and a build in controller. if you mound your fan external to your hsf, ie with a fan bracket, this is not as important though as the air pressure from 1" away to like.. 3 is actully a LOT less. I can barely tell the difference between the smart fan 2 and my panaflo for my setup. the smart fan 2 just looks and feels more powerful ha ha. its also easier to mount in a mid tower with my fan bracket. I think the panaflo would be your safest bet, or maybe a tornado on a rheo. this is mainly because to me, the 947 has a lot of surface area that would not be well use with a 80 m fan.

I believe that if you look at your 947U it seems that if you place a 80mm fan on top of it, it does not cover the entire fan. Which means the whole HSF isn't getting air pushed onto it. However, if you use a 92 mm fan the 947U is completely covered and does provide better cooling. My temps were a lot better with a 92mm fan as opposed to a 80mm fan at about the same db level.

Valk said:
I cant recommend a 80 mm fan when there is the ability to use 92 mm.

Amen Brother!!!

Why dont you try the 92mm fan i have on my setup??? its available relatively cheap at sidewindercomputers.

Features:
Barely noticeable at full speed
Wider than most 92mm fans but the tornado
rpm sensor
relatively cheap

available here:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sanyodenki92mm.html

enjoy, i believe theres no better noise/performance ratio on any other fan

I would sooooooo get a better medium flow fan that a high flow on rheo. the way that high speed fans are wound just makes them generally loud all around. i run my smart fan 8 at 4000 rpm to match the panaflo for air flow when its running at full bore. to match the panaflo for noise, i have to run the smart fan 2 at like 3400 which moves barely any air at all. some fan blade airfoils are just designed to work at one setting i guess.
if you want a modder fan, thermaltake now sells 92mm versions of its smart fan 2 with blue led lights. I think these are pretty sweet... one day, ys tech and sunon will release mag lev fans larger than 60 mm. these will be wonderful as there is no more friction bearing to make stupid amounts of noise at high rpm. also, with better design into fan blades *vantec owns here* the mag levs can move a lot of air ata pleasing noise level. come on vantec, lets see a tornado with mag lev XD

One more thing to add (like I am the last person to reply ha ha), if you do get a small fan with high rpms, I have found the diode temp actually is cooler than the socket temp, by a difference of 5 C. I had put on that "dingy' stock fan on my new hs and I actually saw a difference in temp readings, which begs to ask which is accurate; however, if you install a big 92mm fan with lower rpms and bigger CFMs, then the temps at both socket and diode are balanced, providing an accurate and reliable reading on MBM5.

Back