• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I dont think I can point to one particular monitor as "the best" but here are some things to look for:

High refresh rates: Every thing just looks crisper when the refresh rate can be cranked up.

High resolution: above 1600x1200

Low dot pitch. .25 or .22

Even better would be a 21incher. Its amazing how much better I play on a 21 vs a 19 :D

If you are serious about getting a good looking monitor, look at some monitors. Monitors vary from one example to the next more than the inherent difference in image quality between one make or model and the next. Monitors are very hard to manufacture consistantly, and the UPS experience can cause enough mis-alignment of the guns to ruin the focus on even the best set.

I've sold some PF95f's that were great, and seen other examples that looked worse than average for even an inexpensive set. Find a store or dealer that has monitors in stock that you can look at, and choose the one that your eyes confirm as being superior, assuming it is capable of the resolution and refresh rate you require. There is no one brand or model that will be superior accross every single example produced by the time it gets into your hands.

I was wondering the same thing! lol

I was looking at this monitor: NEC/Mitsubishi 19" CRT VGA Monitor Model FE991SB-BK
What do you think about this one?

Thanks

good advice from nealric. as far as refresh rates---personally, I notice flicker and get headaches with a refresh rate of lower than 85hz. 85 hz is very comfortable to me, and I can't notice any difference when I crank it up any higher.

IMO, just make sure that the monitor you are looking at runs at a refresh rate of at least 85 hz at your prefered resolution (probably at least 1024x768 on a 19 incher...at least, that's what I run).

dot pitch - lower is better.

if you're looking into buying a trinitron monitor, be sure to go look at some at a store. trinitrons have two very faint horizontal lines across the monitor...some people don't see them at all, some people are insanely irritated by them. trinitrons usually have a brighter picture and are a bit more vivid than a comparable shadow mask monitor.

again...go look at some monitors. personally, I think I would rather overpay at a local store for one that I know looks good than to get a great price for one online and realize that it looks like crap when I get it home.

larva said:
If you are serious about getting a good looking monitor, look at some monitors. Monitors vary from one example to the next more than the inherent difference in image quality between one make or model and the next. Monitors are very hard to manufacture consistantly, and the UPS experience can cause enough mis-alignment of the guns to ruin the focus on even the best set.

I've sold some PF95f's that were great, and seen other examples that looked worse than average for even an inexpensive set. Find a store or dealer that has monitors in stock that you can look at, and choose the one that your eyes confirm as being superior, assuming it is capable of the resolution and refresh rate you require. There is no one brand or model that will be superior accross every single example produced by the time it gets into your hands.

I agree with you to a point, Larva.

I've always said its important to see monitors with your own eyes before buying, to compare between models you are considering. But in my experience, your advice to find the best of an individual model isn't practical for a buyer looking at professional-series monitors. Very few shops will have even one P95F available for viewing. Of those that do, most in my experience only keep one display model in stock and order sale units from their distributor as needed. And if there are shops with several P95's in stock, I don't know of any that would allow a buyer to open and test them until he found the one with the picture he liked best.

You are right, of course, that no one brand or model will be superior across every example. But part of what you should be paying for with a professional series monitor compared to a lower model or brand is a confirmed reputation for superior performance and more responsive customer service if an individual example does fall short. If I pull a bad monitor out of a box, I feel good about having it quickly resolved if its a Viewsonic P-series instead of an E-model.

BHD

just as a side note to remember: just because someone says that a sony or viewsonic monitor is good doesn't mean that all sonys or viewsonics are great... after all, ford makes the mustang which is a nice car but they also make the aspire :) make sure you check the model name and i couldn't agree more with the suggestions to look at the monitors with your own eyes... i didn't do that when i bought this monitor for school and i am regretting it a little... anything over 1024x768 is slightly blurred... monitors aren't always "you get what you pay for", but it's pretty close a decent amount of the time...

Cheesy Peas said:
nice sig bently

hehe thanks... it's just my little quiet "rebellion" against people who put insane rigs in their signature that they probably can't realistically get :)

hahaha...............course rigs like that ain't far off........there arent any good comp stores anywhere where i live, cept for one patton comp place........

[plagiarize] go decide what fits your eyes best yourself! You are god when it comes to what is most comfortable to you. I agree with all previous posts. There is no "superior gaming monitor" it depends all on what is best for you personally.[/plagiarize]

Back