• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Intel or AM3+ Mobo ~ $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flyfunner5

Registered
My build so far, already all bought
Build

IF bulldozer turns out to be good, come October 12th, I'll be getting either the 4 core or 6 core chip, or even 8 core

What's the best mobo to accompany it?
I plan on getting 2x AMD HD Radeon 79xx in the future (early next year)

I plan on overclocking the hell out of everything
I might also put a sound card, and wi-fi card in it in the future

So what's the best mobo that has good slots for all these features

Best Intel Motherboard ~ $200

My current parts

Come Oct 12, if bulldozer becomes a flop, I will buy the i5-2500k from Microcenter for $180 USD
& I need a good mobo to go with it. I plan to use pc to play bf3

I will be adding 2x AMD HD Radeon 79xx Gfx card (Early 2012)
Plan to overclock everything
Might add wi-fi card, and sound card in the future (mid 2012)

So what's the best intel motherboard to do all this that's 180-220$??

I merged your threads and moved them to General Motherboards instead of having two separate threads about nearly the same thing.

I'd look into the Gigabyte 990FXA series, great motherboards.
D3 is the cheapest one and its pretty good, ignoring the fact that you'll need to buy VRM cooling if you plan on overclocking.
Runs dual SLi/CF at x16/x16 without any problems whatsoever!

D3 is the cheapest one and its pretty good, ignoring the fact that you'll need to buy VRM cooling if you plan on overclocking.

Thanks! And anyone know why intel motherboards are generally more expensive than their amd counterparts?

is there something wrong with what comes stock? does this apply to the ud5, too?

is there something wrong with what comes stock? does this apply to the ud5, too?
There is no proof that you need to add anything to a motherboard, so stock is fine. Who knows better motherboard manufacture or us.

update!

Ok, so Bulldozer was a flop, so I'm going to get i5-2500k. But first, I need a good motherboard, and I have some questions. Thanks!

1. i5-2500k is socket 1155 right? And the older version was the 1156?
2. What's southbridge and northbridge? I looked online, and most I could find was that it means the motherboard divides up tasks into those 2 parts?
3. Which motherboards support i5-2500k (Sandy Bridge)
4. What motherboard supports i5-2500k, and will also support Ivy-Bridge
5. Sandy Bridge-E is just a suped up version of i7 2600k right? Like in the 300$+ range? (So consumers on my budget don't have to worry about it?)
6. And Ivy Bridge is Sandy Bridge upgraded onto a die shrink and new architecture right? And the release is around march/april 2012?

Ok, now onto the motherboard
Parts I bought
Now for CPU+Mobo I have $400 USD
400-(179.99 x 1.07) = $207.41 It's 179.99 @ MicroCenter, plus i'm guessing 7% tax

So I have $207.41 - $5.99 (shipping from Newegg.com) = $201.42
What's the best mobo for 200 or less? Take into account
-I plan to get 2 x AMD HD Radeon 79xx in crossfire
-I plan to add an SSD
-I plan to add a wi-fi card
-I plan to add a sound card

update!

Ok, so Bulldozer was a flop, so I'm going to get i5-2500k. But first, I need a good motherboard, and I have some questions. Thanks!

2. What's southbridge and northbridge? I looked online, and most I could find was that it means the motherboard divides up tasks into those 2 parts?
5. Sandy Bridge-E is just a suped up version of i7 2600k right? Like in the 300$+ range? (So consumers on my budget don't have to worry about it?)
6. And Ivy Bridge is Sandy Bridge upgraded onto a die shrink and new architecture right? And the release is around march/april 2012?

Ok, now onto the motherboard
Parts I bought
Now for CPU+Mobo I have $400 USD
400-(179.99 x 1.07) = $207.41 It's 179.99 @ MicroCenter, plus i'm guessing 7% tax

So I have $207.41 - $5.99 (shipping from Newegg.com) = $201.42
What's the best mobo for 200 or less? Take into account
-I plan to get 2 x AMD HD Radeon 79xx in crossfire
-I plan to add an SSD
-I plan to add a wi-fi card
-I plan to add a sound card

2500K is LGA1155 and uses P67 and Z68 chipsets. You'll want a Z68 chipset since it has additional features and those are more likely to support IB.

SB-E will be LGA2011, quad channel RAM, native x16/x16 CFX/SLI, 6 and 8 core CPUs, etc.

There should be some LGA1155 boards around $180-200 from Asus and Gigabyte that should satisfy your needs.

2500K is LGA1155 and uses P67 and Z68 chipsets. You'll want a Z68 chipset since it has additional features and those are more likely to support IB.

SB-E will be LGA2011, quad channel RAM, native x16/x16 CFX/SLI, 6 and 8 core CPUs, etc.

There should be some LGA1155 boards around $180-200 from Asus and Gigabyte that should satisfy your needs.

Thanks!
Do you recommend or prefer one company over another?

I don't really have a company preference, I've used EVGA, Asus, and Gigabyte. I've heard good things about MSI and Asrock as well.

You just need to make sure you'll have enough slots for the sound card and wifi card and that they are the right slots, PCIe x1, PCI, etc.

1155 yes

NB used to control PCIE and RAM, then just PCIE. Now the NB functions are integrated into the CPU. SB controls lower bandwidth I/O such as SATA, as well as administering bandwidth for things like your network controller, onboard audio, and USB 3 controller.

ANY 1155 socket motherboard. H will not let you overclock, but you can use the integrated graphics. P will let you overclock but lock the graphics. Z lets you have it all. Get a Z68 board.

That is uncertain at the moment. In theory any Z68 board. Read up on it there is uncertainty.

No. SB-E is a different CPU on a different socket. Ivybridge is the 'stepped up' Sandybridge. Essentially a die shrink with more transistors but still the same general design.

Yes, and I don't trust release dates any more.

Assuming the HD79xx cards are dual slot, you'll have PCIe x1, PCI, and PCIe x16 @ x4 slots available for sound and wifi. So, it looks like that board will do the trick.

Expensive motherboards aren't needed for SB OCing either, so you'll be able to get the CPU up there as well.

Honestly speaking coming from a i2500k owner; arguably the best motherboard you can get is the P8Z68-V Pro from Asus; everyone has em and there's tons of info about em. That or the Gigabyte equivalent.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364206

One thing you will learn with time about overclocking is go with the herd. Its far easier to parse out information on the 1 or 2 boards everyone and their grandmother is using; rather than being out in the wilderness because you wanted to be "special". Do *NOT* buy the Asrock; buy the Asus or the Giga.

Back